The text of the proclamation is below:
On Memorial Day, we pay solemn tribute to the men and women who marched, flew and sailed in defense of our freedoms and way of life, never to see their loved ones again.
In enduring respect and gratitude for their sacrifice, communities across the state in the coming days will participate in ceremonies at the state's three veterans cemeteries, nine national military cemeteries and at local cemeteries throughout California where the fallen rest. It is a tradition that began as Decoration Day shortly after the Civil War. Family, friends and others placed flowers and other adornments upon the graves of those who died in battle, both Union and Confederate. The observance was broadened following World War I to commemorate all of our fallen service members, and declared a national holiday by Congress in 1971, observed each year on the last Monday in May.
More on The Californer
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Adds 60 New Beds to Division Circle Navigation Center
- BYD, Building Trades Sign Historic Pact
- Renowned RFID Expert Joins ELATEC as Innovation Manager
- Phoenix: The Most Autism-Friendly City In The World
- California: Governor Gavin Newsom Signs Executive Order to Confront Youth Vaping Epidemic
In honor of the fallen heroes we hold deeply and dearly in our hearts, I have ordered that flags be flown at half-staff until noon on all state buildings and grounds throughout California. I also invite you to join me in observing the National Moment of Remembrance at 3:00 p.m. on Memorial Day, a shared moment of silence to reflect on those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our state and nation.
NOW THEREFORE I, GAVIN NEWSOM, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim May 27, 2019 as "Memorial Day."
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 22nd day of May 2019.
Governor of California
Secretary of State
Latest on The Californer
- Ninth Circuit Rules that Enigma Software may Proceed with its Lawsuit Against Malwarebytes
- San Jose: Meds in the Bin, We All Win!
- Sator Soccer to Sponsor Steve Nash Foundation Charity Shield Los Angeles 2019
- The Integration of New Technologies Enhances Underwater Inspection (1 PDH)
- Saturn Square Mars - Natural / Man Made disasters (Sep 24 to Nov 10, 2019)
- Menke to present at the 2019 NCEO Fall ESOP Forum September 17 -18
- The Thin Orange Line Short Film Finds New Life at Hollywood's Beyond Fest
- Alex Mondesir Named Partner Of the Tara Thomas Agency
- Jessica Amlee of Netflix's Greenhouse Academy signs with management firm, V2M
- Eden & Zoe Announces 'Remember When' 2019 Fall/Winter Collection
- The Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel, in Tokyo's Hip Shibuya Neighborhood, Will Open Three New Restaurants in Late November 2019
- AbacusNext Recognized in K2 Enterprises 18th Annual Quality Awards
- Wizard World Teams With Reading Partners On Comic Book Program In Sacramento, Friday through Sunday
- Work It, Mama: Gugu Guru, KIDBOX and Working Mother Launch "Back to Work" Baby Registry
- Sage IT Announces New Chief Customer Officer
- Sage IT Announces New Chief Delivery Officer
- IAOP Announces Its 2020 Awards Season
- Triage Partners Integrates Incoming Quality Inspection (IQC) and Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) Testing in WipIT™ Software System
- Connected Real Estate Magazine Joins the 2019 PropTech Challenge as Silver Sponsor
- Luigi's Original Cannoli Pie of Bridgeport, CT Receives Kosher Certification