The text of the proclamation is below:
On Memorial Day, we pay solemn tribute to the men and women who marched, flew and sailed in defense of our freedoms and way of life, never to see their loved ones again.
In enduring respect and gratitude for their sacrifice, communities across the state in the coming days will participate in ceremonies at the state's three veterans cemeteries, nine national military cemeteries and at local cemeteries throughout California where the fallen rest. It is a tradition that began as Decoration Day shortly after the Civil War. Family, friends and others placed flowers and other adornments upon the graves of those who died in battle, both Union and Confederate. The observance was broadened following World War I to commemorate all of our fallen service members, and declared a national holiday by Congress in 1971, observed each year on the last Monday in May.
More on The Californer
- Independent Rom-Com Series "Public Displays Of Insanity" Hits Amazon With Fresh Take On The Biz
- Hip-Hop Artist & Entrepreneur Suga-T Speaks Out On Sephora
- San Diego/Carlsbad Real Estate Agent Promotes Homes To MORE Buyers For MORE Money
- Rizo Bros California Creamery Celebrates 1Year Anniversary of Successful Launch of Brand
- Rady School of Management Celebrates the Graduation of 344 Students
In honor of the fallen heroes we hold deeply and dearly in our hearts, I have ordered that flags be flown at half-staff until noon on all state buildings and grounds throughout California. I also invite you to join me in observing the National Moment of Remembrance at 3:00 p.m. on Memorial Day, a shared moment of silence to reflect on those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our state and nation.
NOW THEREFORE I, GAVIN NEWSOM, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim May 27, 2019 as "Memorial Day."
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 22nd day of May 2019.
Governor of California
Secretary of State
Latest on The Californer
- Garcia & Artigliere Files Elder Abuse Case Against Fullerton Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Sonoma Valley Trail Rides to Offer Horseback Rides at Alta Vista Vineyards
- ULI OC / IE District Council Announces New Leadership
- Laguna View Detox Is Now Fully Accredited by the Joint Commission
- Omnichain Expands its Business Development and Product Engineering Teams
- Effective Medical Practice Staff Management, by doctor and researcher Dr. William Matzner
- MERGE4 Introduces Collection of No Show Socks
- Hercules Real Estate Services Acquires First Community In Jacksonville, FL
- UrsaLeo Completes Security Audit with Include Security
- Buffalo's Oldest Orthodox Christian Church Celebrates 125th Anniversary
- Meridian Signs Lease with Senior Care PACE Provider WelbeHealth at Cotton Medical Center in Pasadena
- Affordable Alternatives to Dodge Extended Warranty Plans Available Now
- First drone show in Poland, created with UVify IFO and SPH Engineering Drone Show Software
- Duetto, RMS Cloud Enter Technology Partnership
- Ainstein placed #1 in Market category at prestigious NASA Jet Propulsion Lab pitch event
- Formerly Homeless Latino Software Engineer Proves Talent on "Whiteboard Challenge" Show
- Join Our Personalization App Party and Make Your Phone Look UNIQUE
- Telaeris Announces New Integration with Kantech Entrapass Access Control
- Hedda Gabler at LA Theatre Works
- The Vigilante now on Amazon Prime