The text of the proclamation is below:
Today we honor a hero for not just his own community, but for every Californian fighting for freedom and equality. Born on this day in 1930, Harvey Milk settled in San Francisco and found a thriving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community that faced widespread hostility and had no voice in government. Milk fearlessly organized this community and extended a hand to others, working with labor and civil rights activists who were all struggling for justice. Milk's fierce advocacy and skillful coalition-building helped him win a seat on San Francisco's Board of Supervisors in 1977, making him one of the first openly gay elected officials the United States.
Milk stood firm in his belief that freedom and dignity should extend to all human beings, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, at great personal risk. Milk paid the ultimate price for his advocacy when he was struck down by an assassin's bullet just a year into his term on the Board of Supervisors. His legacy lives on in laws and policies that protect the LGBTQ community and in the hearts of generations of activists.
More on The Californer
- Independent Rom-Com Series "Public Displays Of Insanity" Hits Amazon With Fresh Take On The Biz
- Hip-Hop Artist & Entrepreneur Suga-T Speaks Out On Sephora
- San Diego/Carlsbad Real Estate Agent Promotes Homes To MORE Buyers For MORE Money
- Rizo Bros California Creamery Celebrates 1Year Anniversary of Successful Launch of Brand
- Rady School of Management Celebrates the Graduation of 344 Students
As we honor Harvey Milk today, let us remember his words, "Hope will never be silent." Members of the LGBTQ community – in the United States and around the world – still face discrimination and violence, rooted in the same hatred that Milk died fighting. They deserve hope, and they cannot abide our silence. We must carry on his fearless advocacy as we work towards a California for All.
NOW THEREFORE I, GAVIN NEWSOM, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim May 22, 2019, as "Harvey Milk Day."
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 22nd day of May 2019.
Governor of California
Secretary of State
Latest on The Californer
- Garcia & Artigliere Files Elder Abuse Case Against Fullerton Healthcare & Wellness Centre
- Sonoma Valley Trail Rides to Offer Horseback Rides at Alta Vista Vineyards
- ULI OC / IE District Council Announces New Leadership
- Laguna View Detox Is Now Fully Accredited by the Joint Commission
- Omnichain Expands its Business Development and Product Engineering Teams
- Effective Medical Practice Staff Management, by doctor and researcher Dr. William Matzner
- MERGE4 Introduces Collection of No Show Socks
- Hercules Real Estate Services Acquires First Community In Jacksonville, FL
- UrsaLeo Completes Security Audit with Include Security
- Buffalo's Oldest Orthodox Christian Church Celebrates 125th Anniversary
- Meridian Signs Lease with Senior Care PACE Provider WelbeHealth at Cotton Medical Center in Pasadena
- Affordable Alternatives to Dodge Extended Warranty Plans Available Now
- First drone show in Poland, created with UVify IFO and SPH Engineering Drone Show Software
- Duetto, RMS Cloud Enter Technology Partnership
- Ainstein placed #1 in Market category at prestigious NASA Jet Propulsion Lab pitch event
- Formerly Homeless Latino Software Engineer Proves Talent on "Whiteboard Challenge" Show
- Join Our Personalization App Party and Make Your Phone Look UNIQUE
- Telaeris Announces New Integration with Kantech Entrapass Access Control
- Hedda Gabler at LA Theatre Works
- The Vigilante now on Amazon Prime