The text of the proclamation is below:
Today we honor a hero for not just his own community, but for every Californian fighting for freedom and equality. Born on this day in 1930, Harvey Milk settled in San Francisco and found a thriving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community that faced widespread hostility and had no voice in government. Milk fearlessly organized this community and extended a hand to others, working with labor and civil rights activists who were all struggling for justice. Milk's fierce advocacy and skillful coalition-building helped him win a seat on San Francisco's Board of Supervisors in 1977, making him one of the first openly gay elected officials the United States.
Milk stood firm in his belief that freedom and dignity should extend to all human beings, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, at great personal risk. Milk paid the ultimate price for his advocacy when he was struck down by an assassin's bullet just a year into his term on the Board of Supervisors. His legacy lives on in laws and policies that protect the LGBTQ community and in the hearts of generations of activists.
More on The Californer
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Adds 60 New Beds to Division Circle Navigation Center
- BYD, Building Trades Sign Historic Pact
- Renowned RFID Expert Joins ELATEC as Innovation Manager
- Phoenix: The Most Autism-Friendly City In The World
- California: Governor Gavin Newsom Signs Executive Order to Confront Youth Vaping Epidemic
As we honor Harvey Milk today, let us remember his words, "Hope will never be silent." Members of the LGBTQ community – in the United States and around the world – still face discrimination and violence, rooted in the same hatred that Milk died fighting. They deserve hope, and they cannot abide our silence. We must carry on his fearless advocacy as we work towards a California for All.
NOW THEREFORE I, GAVIN NEWSOM, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim May 22, 2019, as "Harvey Milk Day."
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 22nd day of May 2019.
Governor of California
Secretary of State
Latest on The Californer
- Ninth Circuit Rules that Enigma Software may Proceed with its Lawsuit Against Malwarebytes
- San Jose: Meds in the Bin, We All Win!
- Sator Soccer to Sponsor Steve Nash Foundation Charity Shield Los Angeles 2019
- The Integration of New Technologies Enhances Underwater Inspection (1 PDH)
- Saturn Square Mars - Natural / Man Made disasters (Sep 24 to Nov 10, 2019)
- Menke to present at the 2019 NCEO Fall ESOP Forum September 17 -18
- The Thin Orange Line Short Film Finds New Life at Hollywood's Beyond Fest
- Alex Mondesir Named Partner Of the Tara Thomas Agency
- Jessica Amlee of Netflix's Greenhouse Academy signs with management firm, V2M
- Eden & Zoe Announces 'Remember When' 2019 Fall/Winter Collection
- The Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel, in Tokyo's Hip Shibuya Neighborhood, Will Open Three New Restaurants in Late November 2019
- AbacusNext Recognized in K2 Enterprises 18th Annual Quality Awards
- Wizard World Teams With Reading Partners On Comic Book Program In Sacramento, Friday through Sunday
- Work It, Mama: Gugu Guru, KIDBOX and Working Mother Launch "Back to Work" Baby Registry
- Sage IT Announces New Chief Customer Officer
- Sage IT Announces New Chief Delivery Officer
- IAOP Announces Its 2020 Awards Season
- Triage Partners Integrates Incoming Quality Inspection (IQC) and Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) Testing in WipIT™ Software System
- Connected Real Estate Magazine Joins the 2019 PropTech Challenge as Silver Sponsor
- Luigi's Original Cannoli Pie of Bridgeport, CT Receives Kosher Certification