“I am focused every day on keeping every neighborhood in our city clean, safe, and vibrant,” said Mayor Breed. “SoMa West CBD is the result of these neighbors, merchants, property owners, and stakeholders coming together to benefit the community for everyone who lives and works here, and I am committed to working with them to continue the progress we are making."
The SoMa West CBD was formed after a majority vote was cast by property owners in the area based off weighted assessments, and the Board of Supervisors voted to approve the formation. It will raise approximately $3.74 million per year in special assessments from those properties to carry out its management plan over the next 15 years. The boundaries of the District include approximately 2,765 parcels located on approximately 100 whole blocks, including blocks and partial blocks bounded by 5th Street and 6th Street on the east, Minna Street and Folsom Street on the north, South Van Ness Avenue and the U.S. Highway 101 Freeway on the west, and Townsend Street on the south.
"I’m excited that the SoMa West CBD will help provide cleaner and safer streets for the residents, and build community across the diverse neighborhood,” said Supervisor Haney. “West SoMa is one of the highest needs areas in the city that deserves urgent focus and action. I’m happy to see that we were able to include a more affordable assessment for nonprofits, and a commitment to an inclusive, diverse board with broad representation from community organizations, tenants, small businesses, and property owners.”
More on The Californer
- Save the Date for The Collection at RiverPark's 2019 Rocking Summer Concert Series
- Non Emergency Medical Transportation Accreditation Commission Proudly Welcomes Gail Bauhs to their Board of Directors
- Gary Vee Featured on MODRN Business Podcast with Rallio's VP of Business Development
- ecUtopia Partners with Jesta I.S. Combining Industry Leading Solutions to Optimize Supply Chain
- Ventura College Foundation Seeks Sponsors for Student Scholarship Events
The services that the SoMa West CBD will provide include:
- Maintenance teams that sweep, scrub, and pressure wash sidewalks and public spaces to remove litter, graffiti, and trash; Beautification and activation improvements to make SoMa West more visually attractive, which may include green spaces, wayfinding signage, trashcans, public art programs, and public space activation programs; Safety improvements, which will include a pedestrian and bicycle safety program; Marketing and district branding to promote SoMa West as a regional destination; and A community grant program that will allow area nonprofits and cultural districts to apply for funding for programming.
The formation of SoMa West took more than two years of outreach and planning by property owners, businesses, renters, nonprofits, and other stakeholders looking to mirror the successes of CBDs throughout the City. Approximately 90 public informational sessions and planning meetings were held during the planning process. The steering committee included a diverse mix of 35 local merchants, property owners, renters, and area nonprofits that reflect the neighborhood. Technical assistance was provided throughout the process by the Office of Economic and Workforce Development, which will continue to work with the new CBD to ensure the smooth operation of the District and help ensure it follows all legal and community obligations.
More on The Californer
- Dustin Ferguson's Revenge Thriller ROBOWOMAN Will Premiere at Laemmle Glendale on April 11, 2019
- Project Boon Partners With IVRS For San Bernardino County Community Outreach
- Omnichain CEO Earns Award Recognitions from Food Logistics and Supply & Demand Chain Executive
- Best Advertising Channel of 2019 Results Are in - A 7-Year Trend Stands
- Platinum Singer Songwriter and Producer Dria Releases New Music Video
“As a resident and service provider in the neighborhood, I am excited about the potential of the SoMa West CBD. This tremendous effort by residents, business owners, and community members has embodied United Playaz’ motto, ‘It takes the hood to save the hood,’ and we are looking forward to the positive impact that it will have for Western Soma,” said Misha Olivas, Director of Community and Family Engagement at United Playaz and a Western SoMa resident.
“Throughout the years in Western SoMa, residents, property owners, businesses, and stakeholders have wanted a safer, cleaner, and a more vibrant neighborhood. Those of us living and working here have always believed in our neighborhood. The past two years has seen the neighborhood unify and work to this goal to form the SoMa West CBD. We are all pleased to say that the SoMa West CBD will now be a reality for everyone’s benefit,” said James Spinello, chair of the SoMa West CBD Steering Committee. “It has been an incredible journey listening to and hearing from our neighborhood. SoMa West CBD will be a combined effort to make our neighborhood a wonderful place to live, work, and visit. We are excited for the future and look forward to showing everyone the success of SoMa West in the years to come.”
More information on the SoMa West Community Benefit District and the Management District Plan can be found at: http://oewd.org/community-benefit-districts.
Latest on The Californer
- Alexander Mirza v. Cachet Hotel Group Settlement
- Gladiator Lending Reviews Rise of Debt Scams and Loan Complaints in 2019
- Criminal Behaviors Due to Stealth Adapted Virus Infections May be Reduced With KELEA Activated Water
- SpectorDance Launches New Monterey Ocean Arts Festival
- Stealth Adapted Viruses and the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- An Alternative Explanation for Climate Change Based on Increased Manmade Electromagnetic Radiation
- West Coast Premiere of The Urban Retreat by A. Zell Williams Presented by Lorraine Hansberry Theatre March 23 - April 6, 2019
- PicoProbe™ Glutaminase (GLS) Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
- 17 Mental Health Outpatient Clinics Opening in the North Texas Region in 2019!
- United Premier Soccer League Announces Georgia Expansion with Forest Rovers FC
- Wingstop Joins the Storm Family of Partners
- BGCOP Appoints New Member to its Board of Directors
- San Jose: Kaiser Provides Funding for Senior Fitness Equipment
- Latest ezAccounting 2019 Software Gives New Businesses Both Payroll and Accounting Features
- Calico Cooper To Guest On The Jimmy Star Show with Ron Russell Wednesday March 20th, 2019
- HKA Marketing Communications Revitalizes Technology Practice in Era of Digital Transformation
- Author Kim Simons Releases New Romantic Thriller – Dance of Deception
- MEMEENO is a Mom's Choice Awards® Gold Recipient
- Tracy Hills Preview Opening Saturday, March 16th In Tracy
- TVLogic Invites NAB 2019 Delegates to a New Experience in Color Reproduction