Charlotte Graham, Conservation & Communications Manager
Phone: (408) 838-2859; email@example.com
San Jose, Calif. (May 21, 2020) – A black-and-white-ruffed lemur pup was born at San Jose's Happy Hollow Park & Zoo on Friday, April 17, much to the excitement of Zoo staff. The public is being asked to join the celebration by helping to name the Zoo's newest addition.
Black-and-white ruffed lemurs are named for the tufts of hair lining their ears and faces. The species is considered critically endangered in the wild due to habitat loss, wildlife trafficking and illegal pet trade, and climate change.
"Although we are temporarily closed to the public, we continue providing dedicated and professional care for the 150 animals at our facility," says Zoo Manager Kevin Hertell. "This birth is a very important part of our dedication to conservation and the survival of the species."
Happy Hollow has been continuously accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums for over 26 years and participates in Species Survival Plan (SSP) programs. SSP programs safeguard threatened and endangered species against extinction, improve the managed population's genetic diversity, and help teach and inspire the next generation of conservationists.
More on The Californer
- San Jose: Notice of CEQA Posting: Charcot Avenue Extension Project and EIR Public Hearing
- STARK Industries, LLC Awarded NASA JPL - VITAL Ventilator Manufacturing License to Combat the Global COVID-19 Crisis
- Americans Face Problems Paying Medical Bills Despite Health Insurance
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces the First New Affordable Housing Development on Treasure Island is Moving Forward
- Real Estate Agent in Montebello, CA 90640
The last black and white ruffed lemur born at Happy Hollow was in 2018. "Loka," (meaning "Prize" in Malagasy) is a healthy young male that still resides at the Zoo. He also received his name by public vote. Over 800 people participated in naming "Loka".
Anyone can vote on the prospective names for the new lemur pup. There are three choices that have special meanings in Malagasy, the national language of Madagascar where all species of lemur are from.
- Tiana ("to be loved / to be liked") Zoma ("Friday" -- she was born on a Friday) Koa ("Addition")
Cast your vote here before June 1. The winning name will be announced on Happy Hollow's social media on Wednesday, June 3.
About the Happy Hollow Park & Zoo
Happy Hollow Park & Zoo has provided outdoor play to the Bay Area since 1961. Happy Hollow is a facility of the San José's Department of Parks, Recreation & Neighborhood Services, and is supported by the Happy Hollow Foundation. The mission of Happy Hollow is connecting people to nature through play. Happy Hollow features a unique combination of family rides and amusements, a Puppet Castle Theater, nature themed play areas, special events for all seasons, an Association of Zoos and Aquariums accredited zoo, and a zoo education and wildlife conservation program with classes and camps for all ages. Happy Hollow also offers annual memberships for families and individuals. www.happyhollow.org
More on The Californer
- Joyhorror Entertainment signs Martial Artist, Paul Mormando
- Evolve IP Offers Rapid Deployment of Desktop as a Service to Ingram Micro Partners
- 626 acquires the assets of Innovatus CR and DR Business. The World Slows Down. We Move Faster
- Property from the estate of June D. Winkler will be sold online, June 16th, by Andrew Jones Auctions
- R+M Development Closes on Refinance of Student Housing Project Amidst Pandemic
Latest on The Californer
- SmartGateVC Will Establish a Start-Up Tech Accelerator in Glendale Called Hero House Glendale
- RC Diedrich and Tremain Hayhoe Discuss Succeeding No Matter What
- Property from the estate of June D. Winkler will be sold online by Andrew Jones Auctions, June 16th
- Nicole Rogas, Senior Vice President at Experian Health, joins Nuevozen Advisory Board
- WHIP IT, SIP IT! Virtual Wine Tasting with Gerald Casale, Co-Founder of Rock Band Devo & Proprietor of The 50 by 50 Winery in Napa Valley
- Amidst Covid19 FRS Environmental Helps Southern CA Safely Dispose of Hazardous & Non-Hazardous Waste
- Private Placement Markets To Enter The Residential Mortgage Lending Industry
- Kupfer & Associates Close Strategic Edulence & eLearning Brothers Deal
- Beautyforever Remy Human Hair Summer Sale Up to 35% OFF
- LA Paint Night Launches Virtual Sip 'n Paint Classes With Online Live Sessions
- Omy de Oro 'The King of Punchlines' signs with Caroline, becomes first Puerto Rican artist to release a solo dembow track 'Cash'
- Axiomtek Launches Quad-View 3.5" Embedded Board with AMD Ryzen™ Processors - CAPA13R
- NS4ed Customizes District Market Needs for Nebraska Schools
- OKTV, A Valiant Eagle Inc. (OTC:PSRU) Subsidiary, Will Air Harlem Tigerman Next Month
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Fintech Startup Client Airfox on Acquisition by Retail Giant
- Survey: 57% of Today's Newly Unemployed Can't List the Skills That Will Get Them Their Next Job
- Shuyoka Dojo Celebration of 40 years in Costa Mesa
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 5.27.20
- San Jose: FLASH REPORT #108 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
- TREEHAUS is planning to reopen on Friday, May 29th 2020