- Pacific Surfliner Service Temporarily Suspended South of Irvine Station
- Are Scary Movies Mentally Designed By The Horrific Environment Within Society: New Premiere Smile
- California Empowers Students
SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom today announced that he has signed legislation to assist LGBTQ veterans discharged under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) in updating their records and accessing education, health, burial and other benefits available to honorably discharged service members.
Though LGBTQ service members could serve openly following the repeal of DADT, veterans discharged less than honorably under the policy face a burdensome process that can require legal counsel and other assistance to obtain an upgrade to their discharge classification.
AB 325 by Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin (D-Thousand Oaks) establishes the Veteran's Military Discharge Upgrade Grant program to help fund service providers that will educate veterans about the discharge upgrade process and assist eligible veterans to apply.
Watch a video message from Governor Newsom on AB 325.
More on The Californer
- THINKWARE Announces Amazon Prime Fall Promotion
- Five New Members Join Ventura College Foundation Board
- One Park Technologies Fuel Its Growth in Texas
- Flutter vs. React Native — What to сhoose in 2021?
- General Micro Systems (GMS) Introduces Lightweight, Rugged, "X9 Spider Wearable" Mobile Computer with Eight I/O "Legs" and Optional AI GPGPU
"While the repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' ended a shameful injustice against LGBTQ Americans serving in our armed forces, its legacy continues to burden the women and men unfairly ousted under the discriminatory policy," said Governor Newsom. "With this legislation, the state will help these heroes navigate the process to correct the record and access important benefits they deserve and have earned many times over. I thank Assemblymember Irwin for advancing this measure to do right by our veterans and further California's commitment to equality."
Governor Newsom signs AB 325 by Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin
A full list of measures Governor Newsom signed to support veterans can be found here:
- AB 305 by Assemblymember Brian Maienschein (D-San Diego) – Veteran services: notice.
- AB 325 by Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin (D-Thousand Oaks) – Veterans: discharge upgrades.
- AB 738 by Assemblymember Janet Nguyen (R-Huntington Beach) – Community mental health services: mental health boards.
- AB 1715 by Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi (D-Torrance) – Space Force.
- AB 1731 by Assemblymember Laurie Davies (R-Laguna Niguel) – Postsecondary education: Title 38 awards: postsecondary educational institutions: application for approval or renewal.
- AB 2119 by Assemblymember Heath Flora (R-Ripon) – Veterans: Medical Foster Home Program.
- AB 2509 by Assemblymember Vince Fong (R-Bakersfield) – Vehicles: vehicle license fee and registration fees: exemptions.
- SB 837 by Senator Thomas Umberg (D-Santa Ana) – Driver's licenses: veteran designation.
- SB 984 by Senator Bob Archuleta (D-Pico Rivera) – Military service: leave of absence: pay and benefits.
- SB 1182 by Senator Susan Talamantes Eggman (D-Stockton) – Family law.
- SB 1237 by Senator Josh Newman (D-Fullerton) – Licenses: military service.
Previously, the Governor signed:
- AB 1633 by Assemblymember Kelly Seyarto (R-Murrieta) – Public postsecondary education: veterans' educational benefits: information sharing.
- AB 1762 by Assemblymember Devon Mathis (R-Porterville) – State Capitol: Gold Star Families monument.
- SB 949 by Senator John Laird (D-Santa Cruz) – Veterans: California Central Coast State Veterans Cemetery.
- SB 1041 by Senator Toni G. Atkins (D-San Diego) – Sales and use taxes: general exemptions.
- SB 1195 by Senator Shannon Grove (R-Bakersfield) – Veterans homes.
For full text of the bills, visit: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov.
More on The Californer
- Key California Alliance Members Declare 'NO ON PROPOSITION 1!'
- Sara Abbas Honored with Prestigious Powerhouse Global Women Award Among Other Top Awardees of 2022
- Best of HouseKeeping 2022 Award-Winner, The Bristol Hotel, Celebrates Fall Season with Limited Time Packages - Explore San Diego's Historic Gaslamp District for a Boutique Experience in the Big City
- Aria Systems Awarded "Best New Catalyst in Show" at TM Forum's Digital Transformation World
- AesirX DAM launches: a new Free Open Source 'Community' Digital Asset Management tool with 100MB of free cloud storage!
Latest on The Californer
- Colorado's Largest Witch Festival, "WitchFest", October 21-22
- New Smart Mouse uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Voice Recognition Technology to Improve Business Productivity
- GLASSDOOR APPOINTS DANNY GUILLORY AS CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER
- One Mind at Work, Columbia University Mental Health + Work Design Lab, and Ethisphere announce the Mental Health at Work Index™, the first of its kind comprehensive strategy to not only measure but also improve and innovate workplace mental health
- Wastewater Facilities Turn to Greasezilla® for Upstream Fats, Oils & Grease Solution and Revenue Generation
- Innovative Computing Systems Sponsors iManage ConnectLive 2022
- Presenting Traveling Hands Massage
- Amplitude Welcomes Tifenn Dano Kwan as Chief Marketing Officer
- Solina to acquire Saratoga Food Specialties
- RevitaLash® Cosmetics Champions Breast Cancer Awareness, Research, and Support Worldwide with 2022 Pink Program Announcement USA - English USA - English
- Jumio Wins Double Gold in the 10th Annual 2022 CEO World Awards®
- Cohesity Appoints Karen Egan Chief Customer Experience Officer
- ezPaycheck Payroll Software Offers Small Business An Efficient Way to Process Employee Paychecks
- Samsung Electronics Unveils Plans for 1.4nm Process Technology and Investment for Production Capacity at Samsung Foundry Forum 2022
- LEVVELS Inc. introduces MOMENTICA, the future of fandom engagement around the globe through one-of-a-kind digital collectibles
- Local Entrepreneur to Appear on New Reality Show on the BLKGTV App
- BlueSpark Energy Wins the 2022 Oil & Gas Cleantech Challenge
- Nihon Kohden Announced the Release of Life Scope® G7 Patient Monitor
- California Entrepreneur Uses AI Technology To Create Stunning, Lifelike Artwork
- LIFE: The Shyan Selah Show Podcast to be Streamed on Fox Soul/Tubi