- EQUITY UNION COMMERCIAL REPRESENTS BUYER ON $48.93MM OFFICE COMPLEX PURCHASE
- California ZEV Sales Near 19% of All New Car Sales in 2022
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 1.20.23
SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom today appointed Lee Herrick to serve as California's 10th Poet Laureate. Herrick, 52, of Fresno, is a writer and professor who teaches at Fresno City College and the MFA program at the University of Nevada, Reno at Lake Tahoe. A former Fresno Poet Laureate, Herrick's work is a vivid celebration of the California experience.
"As a teacher, poet, and father, Lee writes movingly about his identity as a Californian and encourages others to reflect on what the state means to them," said Governor Newsom. "Lee's dedication to highlighting the diverse experiences of Californians, and making them so accessible through his poetry, makes him a perfect candidate for Poet Laureate. I look forward to his work to inspire communities and individuals across the state through the power of the written word."
Herrick's poetry canon explores the diversity and vitality of the California experience and the exhilarating success of the American experiment. Born in Daejeon, South Korea and adopted as an infant, he grew up in Modesto immersed in literature, art and various cultural influences.
Governor Newsom and First Partner Siebel Newsom meet with California Poet Laureate Lee Herrick
More on The Californer
- Multi #1 International Best-Selling Author Jennifer S. Wilkov Announces the 2023 April Speak Up Women Conference and Call For Speakers
- JARRARD INC. ADDS RENOWNED HEALTHCARE COMMUNICATIONS EXECUTIVE TO ROSTER
- Ventura College Foundation Provides $776,264 Direct Student Support During 2021-2022 Academic Year
- California: State Water Project to Increase Expected 2023 Deliveries
- RealDefense Acquires SUPERAntiSpyware From Support.com
Herrick writes eloquently on the immigrant experience – bringing to life the smell of chapchae and the sound of mariachi trumpets, the farmers market at midnight, and the small talk of Armenian neighbors. Herrick's work is a Whitmanesque celebration of the best spirit of our state, the vibrancy of the Central Valley, and ourselves.
"I am deeply honored, humbled, and excited to be named California Poet Laureate," said Herrick, who will use his platform called Our California to bring together poetry with a social justice or civic engagement organization in each city that he visits during his term as Poet Laureate. "I am grateful to Governor Newsom, his staff, First Partner Siebel Newsom, the Fresno Arts Council, the City of Fresno for making me a poet, poets and writers and readers throughout this great state, friends, teachers, colleagues, students, and mostly, my family, parents and sister, and my wife and daughter for their love and light."
Herrick served as Poet Laureate of the City of Fresno from 2015 to 2017, where he led local efforts to bridge communities and engage young people in expressing themselves through writing.
"I'm thrilled that Lee Herrick will serve as California's next Poet Laureate. Lee's poetry invites us to reflect on our love of California and reminds us of the values we hold so dear — our inclusivity, empathy, and creativity," said First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom. "Lee's deep understanding of culture and community alongside his irrefutable talent will no doubt guide him throughout his tenure as our state's poetry advocate. I look forward to working with him as he spreads a love and appreciation of poetry and literature across California, especially amongst our youth."
More on The Californer
- Creators Society Animation Podcast Launches Season 3 With An Interview With Kristine Belson, President Of Sony Pictures Animation
- The King of Urban Content Introduces EVERYWHERE Theater
- The Mogharebi Group Brokers $7.25 Million Sale of Costa Mesa, CA Multifamily Community
- San Jose: : San José Celebrates Over $62 Million in Grants for Transportation Safety
- Elden Ring, Stray, God of War Ragnarök, and Pentiment Lead Finalists for the 23rd Annual Game Developers Choice Awards
Herrick's work has been published in the Bloomsbury Review, Columbia Poetry Review, Berkeley Poetry Review, the Normal School, The Poetry Foundation, ZYZZYVA, and other publications. He is a contributor to many anthologies, particularly those examining the literary flourishing of California's Central Valley. Herrick is the author of three books of poetry: Scar and Flower, Gardening Secrets of the Dead and This Many Miles from Desire.
The California Poet Laureate is charged with advocating for poetry in classrooms and boardrooms across the state, inspiring an emerging generation of literary artists, and educating all Californians about the many poets and authors who have influenced our state through creative literary expression. Over the course of a two-year term, the Poet Laureate provides public readings in urban and rural locations across California, educates civic and state leaders about the value of poetry and creative expression and undertakes a significant cultural project, with one of its goals being to bring poetry to students who might otherwise have little opportunity to access it.
This position requires Senate confirmation and the California Arts Council provides an annual stipend. Herrick is a Democrat.
Latest on The Californer
- Capehart Pops Orchestra Establishes Spotify 'Top Ten' Worldwide Streaming Releases
- Yours Humanly Awarded "Outstanding Organization" at Global Education 2.0 Conference
- Rila Adds Video Feature for App Users
- Provender Partners and StepStone RE Complete $158 Million ReCap of Cold Storage Portfolio
- Glancy Prongay & Murray LLP, a Leading Securities Fraud Law Firm, Announces the Filing of a Securities Class Action on Behalf of Bioventus Inc. (BVS) Investors
- Maddy (Starlite) Hunter She's Back with Her Sophomore Release Project
- Justine Kelly Joins Jenny Craig as Executive Chef and Vice President of Culinary Strategy
- Powerstone Property Management Reports Record Growth for the 11th Consecutive Year
- B & L Glass Proudly Offers Fleetwood Windows and Doors Products
- Yida Gao, Shima Capital Recognized for Prolific Deal Activity
- United States Investing Championship 2022 Final Standings
- ABRAND JEANS IS LAUNCHING ITS FIRST-EVER 'NEXT ICONS MODEL SEARCH' GLOBALLY TO FIND THE NEWEST FACE OF THE BRAND
- Oklo Prepares for the Deployment of its Commercial-Scale Fuel Recycling Facility with the Submission of its Licensing Project Plan
- John Roemer Appointed as President/CEO of Los Angeles Police Federal Credit Union
- Form 8.3 - Horizon Therapeutics Plc
- Ihab Daniel -CEO of Judah Steel corporation
- Southern California Real Estate Agent Promotes Homes To MORE Buyers For MORE Money
- Can Massage Therapy Be an Effective Treatment for Long Haul COVID?
- NEO INVESTOR ALERT: First and Only NeoGenomics Class Action Filed by Gibbs Law Group
- Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine Spring Class Registration Begins February 6