"Projects like 1515 South Van Ness are exactly what I envisioned last year when we pushed for the City's windfall revenue to be spent on building and preserving affordable housing," said Mayor Breed. "We need more affordable housing in the Mission and throughout San Francisco so that our low- and middle-income residents can continue to live here. The $600 million Affordable Housing Bond that we introduced last month will continue our progress and I look forward to working with our diverse coalition of supporters to make sure that it passes."
The City will purchase the parcel with funds appropriated mid-year by the Board and Mayor from the excess Fiscal Year (FY) 2017-18 and FY 2018-19 Educational Revenue Augmentation Fund (ERAF) as well as monies from the Metropolitan Transportation Commission's JumpStart fund. When San Francisco learned it would receive a windfall of money from the State due to excess ERAF in the current year, Mayor Breed committed to using a significant portion of the funds to invest in the City's affordable housing programs.
More on The Californer
- East Coast Match™ Announces a $10,000.00 Professional Matchmaking Giveaway
- AESA To Partner Up with Hero House Glendale, Winner of Glendale Start-Up Tech Accelerator
- Celebration of 40 years of Shuyokan Ryu
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Shared Spaces Program to Support Neighborhood Activity and Local Businesses
- Vampire Diaries, Pretty Little Liars, Runaways Wizard World Virtual Experiences, May 27-29-June 6
"We're thrilled to be adding 1515 South Van Ness to the 900 affordable housing units already in progress in the Mission neighborhood. These kinds of investments make an incredible difference in communities and in the lives of the families who will live there," said Kate Hartley, Director of the Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development. "We want to thank the Mayor for her ongoing support of affordable housing. We also want to thank MTC for its JumpStart investment of $5 million, which was a great help in making this acquisition happen."
"We are super excited that Mayor Breed, after taking a lowrider tour in the Mission Community – which is Ground Zero for gentrification, with over 10,000 people being evicted – immediately took action to address the housing crisis by taking steps to purchase 1515 South Van Ness," said Roberto Y. Hernandez, Founder of Our Mission No Eviction. "Today we celebrate a major victory thanks to Mayor Breed who not only listened, but is taking action to build 100% affordable housing in our community. Sí se puede!"
Last month, Mayor Breed and Board of Supervisors President Norman Yee introduced a $600 million Affordable Housing Bond to provide additional funding to build more housing in San Francisco. The Affordable Housing Bond will go to voters for approval on the November ballot. If approved, the general obligation bond will provide funding for the City to begin construction on more projects like 1515 South Van Ness to provide additional housing for low-income residents.
More on The Californer
- Cost of Cancer Care Reported By Critical Illness Insurance Association
- Ventura College Foundation Weekend Marketplace Reopens May 30 and 31
- Learn a simple way to recover Yahoo email account
- MegaFans and Black Dog Gaming Launch Charity eSports Tournament for USO West
- Lantek launches version 2020 with focus on remote working and process efficiency
The parcel is currently vacant and will be transformed into a mixed-use development with expansive ground-floor activation opportunities. From 2017 to 2018, the site served as a temporary 120-bed Navigation Center, which closed when the Division Circle Navigation Center opened last summer.
Following approval of the purchase by the Board of Supervisors this summer and identification of construction funding, the City will select a developer through a Request for Qualifications process to develop the site. Once complete, 1515 South Van Ness will bring the number of new and preserved affordable homes in the neighborhood to over 1,000 units.
Latest on The Californer
- All Premium CBD Enters the Pain Relief Arena with CBDMEDIC Partnership
- Eight Week Summer Better Heart Diet
- Nutraceuticals & Agriceuticals Technology Company, Inc. Files For Patent Protection For Latest Invention Persimonal™ Persimmon Leaf Exctract- Powder
- Veteran's 40yr dream graduation and thesis-film release ON HOLD due to Covid-19, while his little Angel fights brain-cancer!
- World Humanity Commission Awards Certificate of Appreciation to Kalgidhar Society Baru Sahib for promoting Lessons of Humanity
- edjuster Celebrates Twenty Years of Excellence in Contents Claims Management for Insurers, Adjusters and Policyholders
- Gold City Music announces a NEW CD RELEASE By Former Isley Brother CHRIS JASPER..."For the Love of You"
- Sony's New Flagship Xperia 1 II Smartphone Will Ship on July 24th in the United States--Pre-sales start June 1st
- MacFour Releases Neyo Cover of "Because of You"
- OKTV, A Valiant Eagle Inc. (OTC:PSRU) Subsidiary, Seeks Television Content
- Mongol Films partners with Bayview Entertainment for U.S. Distribution
- Providence Film Group a Valiant Eagle Inc. (OTC:PSRU) Subsidiary, Announces Development of New S
- Haitian film producer turns to Indiegogo to fuel groundbreaking film project amid COVID-19 pandemic
- The Top Destination for Meal Delivery, Premade Meals and Top Recipes
- Braeden Lichti: The Complicated World of Biotech Investments in the Era of COVID-19
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring Memorial Day Following Visit to Yountville Veterans Home to Highlight State Efforts to Protect Veterans from COVID-19
- Introducing the New Service Asklepios Health
- San Diego, CA REALTOR®, Anthony "Tony" Uniewski Earns e-PRO® Certification
- Billie Eilish Memorial Day Special Streaming on American Horrors May 25th
- New Online Security Store, by Security Guard LLC