The Health Department's San Francisco Health Network receives Title X funding, and its facilities provide pregnancy counseling and other reproductive health services, which would be censored or prevented under the Federal Administration's proposed new rules for Title X funding.
"This is about ensuring that all patients in San Francisco have access to the information they need to make decisions about their health," said Mayor Breed. "We won't stand by and let the federal government impose a gag rule that would restrict access to basic reproductive health services and prevent people from making informed choices about what is best for them."
The new Title X rules represent the Federal Administration's attempt to interfere with the provider-patient relationship by determining how pregnancy, contraception, sexually transmitted diseases, and reproductive health are discussed, and limiting what information and services would be available to women and girls.
More on The Californer
- HEX Performance® Makes Its Expo West Debut With Plans to Disrupt the Laundry Category
- City of San Francisco Moves Proactively to Prepare for Possible Novel Coronavirus Activity in the Community
- Laccase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
- Kindness of Strangers Comedy Tour Comes to Stockton March 14 for Fundraising Show
- SEEAG Receives $55,000 Grant From Dignity Health St. John's Hospitals
"The proposed changes to Title X are an attack on reproductive health services and we will not participate," said Dr. Colfax. "Our patients deserve the full spectrum of education, support, information and care available to them, and our commitment to them will not waiver. The Health Department will not reduce any staff or services as a result of withdrawing from the Title X program."
"By limiting federally-funded access to birth control and other reproductive health services, this heartless and unethical gag rule is designed to adversely impact the health of thousands of low-income women," said District 5 Supervisor Vallie Brown, who last month passed legislation to prevent the City and County of San Francisco from official travel to, or business with, states that pass abortion bans. "Time and again, President Trump and his administration have acted with disdain and violence against women. San Francisco will not bow to this relentless assault on women and their access to basic healthcare, and I'm committed to doing everything in my power to work with the Department of Public Health to fully ensure that we protect the rights, freedoms, and bodies of all San Franciscans."
Other San Francisco providers, including Planned Parenthood and Women's Community Clinic, a program of healthRIGHT 360, are also withdrawing from the Title X program.
Latest on The Californer
- The Meatless Farm Co Debuts New Plant-based Breakfast Products At Natural Products Expo West 2020
- autopom! Offers Extended Auto Warranty Alternatives for Top Brands
- San Jose: Subscribe To Our E-newsletter (The Loop) and Win a San José T-shirt and Hat!
- U/Z Named Law Firm of the Year by Veterans Legal Institute
- February's Quick Tip: The Super Strawberry
- One Park Financial Celebrates "Grovie Wellness Day"
- Deep Indian Kitchen Heats Up Expo West With New Mild, Medium & Spicy Indian Meals
- Contify Launches a Brand-New Mobile Experience with the Advanced Features of its Market and Competitive Intelligence Platform
- Zezgo Rent A Car the high-quality rental brand commences service in the Dominican Republic
- Symplast CPO Izhak Musli to Present "Maximize Your Sales Process" at the 2020 American-Brazilian Aesthetic Meeting (ABAM)
- Triangle Real Estate Group CEO Makes Top 25 List, Earns Industry Distinction With Real Estate Franchise Brand Leader
- Curly's Caffeinated Water Debuts at 250+ H-E-B Stores To Change How People Hydrate and Energize
- UGE Signs Five New Contracts Across All Three Business Units
- William E. Lewis Jr & Associates announces the formation of a credit repair component
- NATP announces its annual 2020 Tax Forums and Expo
- Airforwarders Association Testifies at U.S. Senate Committee Hearing
- Peerplays Blockchain Standards Association Makes Investment Play in Education Game Startup
- Expert Shares Breakthrough Secrets To Transformative Storytelling
- Medicom Health Partners with Houston Hospital System to Help Patients Save on Prescription Costs
- Wind River Labs Unveiled to Drive Developer Innovation at the Intelligent Edge