The free monthly Consumer Rights Legal Clinic is made possible through a grant from MOHCD. The clinic will provide people the opportunity to speak with an attorney about a broad range of consumer legal issues, such as bankruptcy, student loan debt, credit card debt, debt collection lawsuits, harassment by debt collectors, errors in credit reports, judgments for unpaid debt, foreclosure, and garnished wages.
"Every San Franciscan should have the opportunity to get sound legal advice, regardless of their ability to pay," said Mayor London Breed. "This new clinic will empower people to make informed decisions about their finances and will provide a legal safety net for people who otherwise wouldn't be able to talk to a lawyer."
More on The Californer
- The best of Silicon Valley leaders to share knowledge and insights on Timeless Leadership Lessons
- Oakland International Film Festival Around The World In Eleven Days
- "Big Shoes" Author, Uses Harriet Tubman's Shoes; Teaches Others To Break Free, And Pursue Dreams
- California: Governor Newsom Statement on Trump Administration's Attempt to Invalidate CalSavers Retirement Savings Program
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 9.19.19
"It's hard enough making ends meet in San Francisco without the added stress of dealing with complex issues like debt, bankruptcy, or financial fraud," said Treasurer José Cisneros. "I'm proud to be partnering with distinguished San Francisco legal organizations to bring these important clinics to our community."
The clinic will run in two sessions, one at 9:30am and another at 1:00pm, on the fourth Thursday of every month in the Law Library, located at 1145 Market Street, 4th floor. An RSVP is required for the clinic, and people in need of assistance with consumer legal issues can call 415-982-1300 to reserve a spot.
"MOHCD is pleased to expand our long-standing partnership with Bay Area Legal Aid," said Kate Hartley, MOHCD Director. "Legal aid is one of the most effective ways we can help protect low-income communities. These high-quality legal services will help San Francisco residents keep their hard-earned income and assets within their families and communities."
More on The Californer
- SmartFinancial Wins 2nd Best Places to Work 2019
- Linaka's Kitchen: Must-Have Kitchen Products for a Smooth Running Kitchen
- Kristin Kolodge of J.D. Power on The Role of "Trust" in Adoption of Innovations in Mobility
- The Critical Role Of Trust In Harnessing The Full Potential Of The Voice Of The Vehicle
- Audilus, Inc Presents Sead Publishing : Exclusive Music Library For Licensing
The organizations involved in making this clinic possible are committed to providing access to justice to those who are least able to secure it. Since 1870, the San Francisco Law Library has provided free access and use of legal reference materials to the public so that they may conduct their legal affairs and preserve their legal rights. Bay Area Legal Aid provides meaningful access to the civil justice system through quality legal assistance regardless of a client's location, language or disability. The San Francisco Office of Financial Empowerment leverages the power of City Hall to strengthen economic security and mobility for low-income families.
More information about the San Francisco Law Library is available at https://sflawlibrary.org/.
More information about Bay Area Legal Aid is available at https://baylegal.org/.
More information about the San Francisco Treasurer's Office of Financial Empowerment is available at https://sfgov.org/ofe/.
Latest on The Californer
- Jared Goff to Donate $1,000 per Touchdown to Support California Strong
- San Jose: REVISED Notice of Availability for Public Comment Period: Charcot Avenue Extension Draft EIR
- Rachele Royale Featured on the Movie Soundtrack ½ New Year (Comedy Dynamics Network) Screening Septmeber 27th, 2019 at Laemmle Noho 7, Burbank
- We The Creative develops three 2018 Year In Review reports for City of Long Beach
- Mobile Cannabis Lounge Tours Land in Los Angeles
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Two Innovative Contracts for Wildfire Prevention and Response
- REV•1 Engineering® Takes Early Phase Medical Device Development To The Next Level
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed and Supervisor Vallie Brown Mark Completion of Inner Sunset Street Improvements
- San Francisco: SFMTA Board of Directors Approves 5th Street Improvement Project That Includes Pedestrian Safety Improvements and Protected Bike Lanes
- California: Governor Newsom Signs Legislation 9.18.19
- Berea BioVentures Announces Collaboration with CMPlus, Inc. To Match Life Science Companies
- San Jose: You're Invited to Participate in Developing the Community Plan to End Homelessness
- Charmed, Flash Gordon Q&A's, Cosplay, Creative Panels Headline Wizard World Sacramento Programming
- Paul Romer, Nobel Prize Recipient for Economic Sciences, joins Worldwide Speakers Group
- New World Record Efficiency with Flexible CIGS Solar Cell
- The Pet Gal Named One of Top Austin Area Women-Owned Businesses for 2018 Total Revenue
- Habitu8 Named Official Video Partner for National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- 80s cover band Flashback Heart Attack Play Mainstage Alongside Heavyweights at Sammy Hagar's High
- The Premier Lacrosse League Brings AI Chatbots to Fans with 'Slash' from EventBots
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 9.17.19