- Mars Branded Skittles® and Starburst Cotton Candy to Launch!
- James Postrasija, CEO of Order Food Online on Platform Features/Benefits
- Waste Management Shareholder News: Robbins LLP is Investigating Waste Management, Inc. (WM) on Behalf of Shareholders
Recovery follows EDD's recent thwarting of 47,000 potentially fraudulent claims worth up to $560 million
SACRAMENTO – In another major step toward continuing to investigate fraudsters and recover unemployment insurance funds, the California Employment Development Department (EDD) today announced it has recovered $1.1 billion in unemployment insurance funds.
The recovered funds were located on approximately 780,000 inactivated benefit cards. Most of the recovered funds will return to the federal government because the fraudulent claims are from the emergency federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program, which was the primary target of fraud nationwide.
More on The Californer
- Ganglioside GT1a Antibody High Purity
- Dnase-Free and Rnase-Free Distilled Water
- Long Beach: Happy Fourth of July Weekend
- TVS Television Network Launches First Outlook Original Programming You Tube Channel
- The Atlas Elite Entertainment Music Award online is coming!
In July 2021, California hired McGregor Scott as EDD Fraud Special Counsel. Scott aids the state's work with law enforcement to combat fraud—including supporting state, federal, and local investigations and prosecutions. Working with EDD, he has leveraged his experience to deliver leads and evidence to aid prosecutions and strengthen ongoing investigations.
"We will continue working with law enforcement to put fraudsters behind bars and recover every stolen dollar that we can," Scott stated.
Today's billion-dollar recovery furthers the monumental efforts of EDD and the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services to investigate and prosecute criminals who defrauded federal emergency unemployment benefit programs. Within the past 15 months, total investigations, prosecutions, and dollars seized in the counties reporting information to the state include:
- Total investigations – 1,525
- Arrests – 467
- Money seized – $3,474,448
- Convictions – 162
Other actions California has taken to strengthen its fraud fighting include:
- Stopping over $125 billion in attempted fraud by deploying a new identity verification system, ID.me, in 2020 and partnering with Thomson Reuters to help detect and prevent UI and PUA fraud.
- Setting up the 1099-G call center to help victims of identity theft deal with any tax related questions—work that answered 24,000 calls. Fraud can be reported by selecting Form 1099G in Ask EDD or calling 1-866-401-2849.
- Working with Bank of America to issue chip-enabled debit cards that enhance security and to strengthen fraud-prevention strategies.
- Working with the California Office of Emergency Services Fraud Task Force on over a thousand active investigations, arrests, and prosecutions across California.
- Creating law enforcement investigative guides and offering technical assistance to law enforcement partners who are working fraud investigation cases.
- Setting up designated regional contacts for each division of the state and working with any agency that needs assistance with an unemployment insurance fraud case.
- Continuing to issue consumer scam alerts throughout the pandemic that warn about cell phone and email phishing schemes designed to steal personal information.
EDD runs one of the nation's largest public benefit systems. Over 20 million people filed over 60 million unemployment, disability insurance, and paid family leave claims over the past decade. EDD prepared, printed and mailed 45 million documents to customers through the most recent fiscal quarters. EDD was mailing nearly 600,000 documents a day during the height of the pandemic.
More on The Californer
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Encourages Investors in 17 Education & Technology Group Inc. with Losses of $100,000 to Contact the Firm
- Money Today Korea Selects Grinergy as a 2022 R&D Innovation Grand Prize Winner
- Virgin Orbit Successfully Launches 'Straight Up' Mission
- INVESTOR DEADLINE: Inotiv, Inc. Investors with Substantial Losses Have Opportunity to Lead Class Action – NOTV
- Milloret LTD To Offer Premium International SEO Services
Latest on The Californer
- Signs By Veterans and Savage Shakers Founder Announces Sponsorship for #TEAMUSA Para-Athlete Brian Conwell
- RINGO CELEBRATES HIS BIRTHDAY WITH HIS ANNUAL CAMPAIGN FOR PEACE & LOVE WHICH INCLUDES 26 CELEBRATIONS IN COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD AND THIS YEAR WILL ALSO SEE HIS MESSAGE OF PEACE AND LOVE BEAMED UP TO THE STARS AND ORBIT THE EARTH
- EY Names Tim and Chris Vanderhook of Viant Technology as Entrepreneurs of the Year® 2022 Pacific Southwest Award Winners
- Governor Newsom Takes Action to Further Restrict Ghost Guns and Protect California Kids from Gun Violence
- Fragner Seifert Pace & Mintz, LLP Promotes Alex Flumenbaum to Partner
- INVESTIGATION NOTICE: The Schall Law Firm Encourages Investors in Riskified Ltd. with Losses of $100,000 to Contact the Firm
- Telegraph Hill Partners Raises $525M Fifth Fund for New Life Science and Healthcare Investments
- EA SPORTS™ F1® 22 Launches Worldwide Today
- Diving Into Informative Television With 'A Hot Set's'- 'Statement'
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Statement on State Budget Includes Investments of Nearly $55 Million in Community Projects
- Governor Newsom Signs Into Law Strongest Extended Producer Responsibility Legislation in the U.S.
- California: Governor Newsom Signs Legislation Cutting Harmful Plastic Pollution to Protect Communities, Oceans and Animals
- TikTok Marketing Strategy-Boost Your Business With TikTok
- Governor Newsom Signs Budget Putting Money Back in Californians' Pockets and Investing in State's Future
- Aimmune Therapeutics to Present New Data for PALFORZIA® [Peanut (Arachis hypogaea) Allergen Powder-dnfp] at the EAACI Hybrid Congress 2022
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition Announces Premium Winners at Inaugural Awards Gala
- Best AI Copywriter-The Future Of Copy-writing Is Now
- San Jose: Notice of CEQA Posting: Addendum to the 4300 Stevens Creek Boulevard Mixed-Use Project
- Indie Brand Vow Beauty Enters Walmart
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Encourages Investors in Abbott Laboratories with Losses of $100,000 to Contact the Firm