- RockNTix takes on the ticketing monopoly with a view to abolishing service fees - 164
- Country Artist Ashley Wineland to Release Poignant Ballad 'I'm Going Home'; Announces Her 2023 National Tour
- San Jose: : San José's Chief Building Official Chu Chang Honored as California Building Official of the Year
The transformation of San Quentin will be led in part by an advisory group composed of criminal justice, rehabilitation, and public safety experts from around the state, nation, and world, as well as representatives of crime victims and survivors, formerly incarcerated individuals, staff, key state-level stakeholders, advocates, and volunteers. The Governor's 2023-24 budget proposal allocates $20 million to begin the reimagining and repurposing of the facility.
The existing condemned row housing unit is being shut down — with those housed there safely moved to other prisons to serve their sentences — while a Prison Industry Authority warehouse will be transformed into a center for innovation focused on education, rehabilitation, and breaking cycles of crime.
More on The Californer
- Murder on the Links WORLD PREMIERE at North Coast Repertory Theatre
- Ferocious Talent Management Europe Celebrates the Fifth Grammy Win For Our Very Own Rob Chiarelli At
- Majority Of Medicare Advantage Plans Offer Added Benefits
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 3.24.23
- California Continues Creating Jobs
"California is transforming San Quentin – the state's most notorious prison with a dark past – into the nation's most innovative rehabilitation facility focused on building a brighter and safer future," said Governor Newsom. "Today we take the next step in our pursuit of true rehabilitation, justice, and safer communities through this evidenced-backed investment."
San Quentin Warden Ron Broomfield added: "In the 1940s, the warden closed the dungeons once ubiquitous to incarceration, and launched educational and vocational programs in their place. Today we again challenge the status quo as we reimagine San Quentin and create an environment where people are empowered to discover their full potential while pursuing educational and vocational opportunities that will prepare them for a successful future —and make our communities safer."
Dr. Brie Williams from UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations said: "By transforming San Quentin into a place that promotes health and positive change California is making a historic commitment to redefining the institution's purpose in our society."
More on The Californer
- California: Governor Newsom Eases Drought Restrictions
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 3.23.23
- California: What They're Saying: Governor Newsom's Proposal to Hold Big Oil Accountable
- California: Governor Newsom Signs Legislation 3.23.23
- Matt Fogelgren to Join Cleartelligence Executive Team as Chief Revenue Officer
Governor Newsom has taken several steps since taking office to strengthen public safety through justice reforms including placing a moratorium on death penalty; bolstering support for victims; ending use of private for-profit prisons; taking action to disrupt school-to-prison pipeline; announcing sweeping reforms to end juvenile imprisonment; advancing jury representation; expanding number of Board of Parole commissioners; signing legislation to build trust between communities & law enforcement; announcing record level funding for public safety & more.
This transformation at San Quentin is unprecedented in scale in United States history & serves as an evidence backed model nationwide for advancing an effective justice system that builds safer communities.
Filed Under: Government, State
Latest on The Californer
- 2023 National Farmworker Awareness Week
- Orbex Introduces Double Profits for New Traders
- Against All Odds: University of California Berkeley Men's Cricket Team Lifts NCCA Cup
- Tech N9ne Surprises Kxng Crooked Interview with I Only Touch Greatness
- Quotehunt.co.uk: Revolutionising the UK B2B Market with Comprehensive Comparison Services for Small Businesses
- The 2nd Aollywood Five Continents Film Festival Nominations Were Announced: "All Quiet on the Western Front" Led With 7 Nominations
- Human Matriptase/ST14 Protein (High Purity)
- Myristoyl-Coenzyme A (Highly Pure)
- Dr. Kelli Ward and Martha Boneta Fain join the advisory board of Legacy PAC , a partner of Veterans for Trump
- My Refuge House Hosts Much Ado for Freedom
- 2023 Employee Handbook Templates Now Available
- Passive Income for Retirees - Income Ideas for Retirees
- Shareholder Alert: Robbins LLP Informs Investors of Class Action Against Stanley Black & Decker, Inc. (SWK)
- Mercy Street to Host the Largest Opening Day Event in the Organization's 20 Year History
- The Nashville International Chopin Piano Competition Announces the Alexei Sultanov Memorial Discovery Prize
- Available Medicare Advantage Plans 2023 Increased By 6 Percent
- Kobie Voted a Top Workplace USA
- Aquia Inc. Joins the AWS Partner Network and the AWS Public Sector Partner Program
- PatientClick launched Hybrid Medical Billing Services
- Perfect Body Laser and Aesthetics ® Offers Tetra CoolPeel Co2 Laser Skin Resurfacing