- Cervo Media Group Inc and Joe and Marva Brown Sign Co-Management Deal with World Jiu Jitsu Champion Jacob "The Bull" - 580
- THINKWARE Announces President's Day Dash Cam Deals
- Spectator Health Adds Surescripts Certification to its Senior Health Technology Platform
The transformation of San Quentin will be led in part by an advisory group composed of criminal justice, rehabilitation, and public safety experts from around the state, nation, and world, as well as representatives of crime victims and survivors, formerly incarcerated individuals, staff, key state-level stakeholders, advocates, and volunteers. The Governor's 2023-24 budget proposal allocates $20 million to begin the reimagining and repurposing of the facility.
The existing condemned row housing unit is being shut down — with those housed there safely moved to other prisons to serve their sentences — while a Prison Industry Authority warehouse will be transformed into a center for innovation focused on education, rehabilitation, and breaking cycles of crime.
More on The Californer
- Titan Advanced Solutions, Inc. Awarded GSA Multiple Award Schedule Contract by General Services Administration
- Long Beach: Health Department Launches Substance Use Harm Reduction Program
- Pop-Up Talent's Milestone: 500th Client Adopts In-House Recruiter Model
- MEDIA ADVISORY - Building a Healthier New Jersey
- Mission Cloud Achieves the AWS Small and Medium Business Competency
"California is transforming San Quentin – the state's most notorious prison with a dark past – into the nation's most innovative rehabilitation facility focused on building a brighter and safer future," said Governor Newsom. "Today we take the next step in our pursuit of true rehabilitation, justice, and safer communities through this evidenced-backed investment."
San Quentin Warden Ron Broomfield added: "In the 1940s, the warden closed the dungeons once ubiquitous to incarceration, and launched educational and vocational programs in their place. Today we again challenge the status quo as we reimagine San Quentin and create an environment where people are empowered to discover their full potential while pursuing educational and vocational opportunities that will prepare them for a successful future —and make our communities safer."
Dr. Brie Williams from UCSF Center for Vulnerable Populations said: "By transforming San Quentin into a place that promotes health and positive change California is making a historic commitment to redefining the institution's purpose in our society."
More on The Californer
- SALUTE TO SERVICE ADVANCES ASIAN VETERANS
- Long Beach Health Department Launches Brush, Book, Bed to Promote Healthy Dental Habits for Children
- Torres Trade Law Recognized in the Chambers Texas Regional Spotlight Guide for 2024
- Live Courageously Podcast Show with John Duffy and Guest, Director Ted Shred
- Live Courageously Podcast Show with John Duffy and Guest Craig Stilley
Governor Newsom has taken several steps since taking office to strengthen public safety through justice reforms including placing a moratorium on death penalty; bolstering support for victims; ending use of private for-profit prisons; taking action to disrupt school-to-prison pipeline; announcing sweeping reforms to end juvenile imprisonment; advancing jury representation; expanding number of Board of Parole commissioners; signing legislation to build trust between communities & law enforcement; announcing record level funding for public safety & more.
This transformation at San Quentin is unprecedented in scale in United States history & serves as an evidence backed model nationwide for advancing an effective justice system that builds safer communities.
Latest on The Californer
- From Our Family to Yours: Little Bubs Introduces a Trusted Diaper Rash Cream for Your Little Ones
- Miro Introduces Enterprise Guard™ to Protect Sensitive and Confidential Content, and Support Essential Compliance and Security USA - English USA - Deutsch APAC - English USA - English
- Sansu Ramsey receives International Women's Day Honors for 2024
- ChargePoint Collaborates with Product Development and Manufacturing Leaders AcBel and Kinpo, Improving Cost Structure and Time to Market
- The Sukuta Foundation, Inc.: FREE Virtual Laser Career Expo, April 26, 2024, 11:00am
- Kitman Labs and Fulham FC Expand Data & Analytics Accord
- Skydio and Aeroarc Partner to Advance Support for Government Customers in the Region
- California: Governor Newsom Secures Presidential Major Disaster Declaration to Support Storm Recovery Efforts in San Diego
- TVS Television Network Returns to Basketball Coverage With NABL 3 on 3 Series
- City of Long Beach Issues Rain Advisory Due to Recent Showers
- Ami Miller Stars in Hilarious New Show "Responsibility Island"
- California Music Hall of Fame and Museum to Honor Iconic Americana Singer-Songwriter Gary Green
- Cryptsoft licenses KMIP (Key Management Interoperability Protocol) to xFusion Digital Technologies for use in Baseboard Management Controllers
- Delirious Comedy Club Is Moving And We Want You To Join Us In Downtown Las Vegas
- HIDEKI MATSUYAMA WINS THE 2024 GENESIS INVITATIONAL
- Simplify Your ACA Form e-Filing to the IRS with Our ez1095 Video Tutorial
- Silicon Private Wealth Expands Its Ownership Group in 2024
- Dr. Woojin Joo, Qme Internal Medicine in Los Angeles
- California: Governor Newsom Proclaims A Day of Remembrance: Japanese American Evacuation 2024
- InventHelp Inventors Develop New Unclogging Device for Sinks (RSD-180)