- Fridge Art Fair New York City May 2023
- World Sleep Day, why do we celebrate?
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Historic Transformation of San Quentin State Prison
"California is grateful for President Biden's efforts today to strengthen our gun laws and make our streets, schools, and communities safer," said Governor Newsom. "Simply put, it's the right thing to do. While some Republican leaders are focused on endangering our children and making law enforcement's job harder, California and the Biden Administration have worked to save lives and end the epidemic of gun violence that has plagued our nation for too long. Now, it's time for Congress to step up and do their job."
With gun violence claiming the lives of over 110 Americans a day, California's nation-leading gun safety laws serve as a valuable blueprint for other states and Congress to save lives. California's gun safety laws work. In its most recent scorecard, California ranked as the #1 state for gun safety by the Giffords Law Center, and in 2021, the state saw a 37% lower gun death rate than the national average. According to the CDC, California's gun death rate was the 44th lowest in the nation, with 8.5 gun deaths per 100,000 people – compared to 13.7 deaths per 100,000 nationally, 28.6 in Mississippi, 20.7 in Oklahoma, and 14.2 in Texas.
More on The Californer
- San Jose: : San José's Chief Building Official Chu Chang Honored as California Building Official of the Year
- Glancy Prongay & Murray LLP, a Leading Securities Fraud Law Firm, Announces Investigation of Array Technologies, Inc. (ARRY) on Behalf of Investors
- Sip Social Co. Partners With Apé Canada For Supply Of Piaggio Apé's
- California Woman Battling Alopecia Launches Online Wig, Hair Accessories Store
- Orange County Business Journal Ranks Snell & Wilmer in the Top 10 Largest Law Firms in Orange County
Building on California's decades of leadership, Governor Newsom has taken historic action to reduce gun violence. Last summer, the Governor signed a package of gun safety laws, making it easier for Californians to sue manufacturers of illegal assault weapons and those spreading them, allowing lawsuits against irresponsible gun industry members, strengthening prohibitions on ghost guns, and restricting marketing to minors. California has also launched an 18-month campaign to promote gun violence restraining orders – "red flag laws" – that allow law enforcement, family, coworkers or friends to petition a court to temporarily remove weapons from people deemed dangerous to themselves or others. A study from the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis found that California's red flag law has been used to stop 58 threatened mass shootings since 2016.
More on The Californer
- Medicare Advantage Agent Commissions Increase For 2023
- UCLA/Luskin Orthopaedic Institute for Children to Host Professional Conference and Family Forum for National Cerebral Palsy Awareness Day on March 25, 2023
- Back in Action Wraps Production Despite Alleged On-Set Drama Involving Jamie Foxx
- City of Long Beach Recognizes Tsunami Awareness Week March 27 through 31
- Long Beach Airport Director Cynthia Guidry Honored by Conference of Minority Transportation Officials
Filed Under: Government, State
Latest on The Californer
- Critical Runway Lighting Upgrades Key to Electrical Improvements Planned at Long Beach Airport
- Southeast Ventura County YMCA National Day of Prayer Breakfast Seeks Sponsors
- RE/MAX Signature Earns Top Regional Award
- Prime Healthcare Celebrates Patient Safety Excellence Recognition from Healthgrades
- Long Beach to Offer Free Youth Recreation Program in Local Parks During School Spring Break April 10-14
- Sobreo Launches California Cocktails Campaign to Elevate Los Angeles Bar Menus with Health-Conscious & Inclusive Drinking Options
- The Mogharebi Group Opens Offices in Las Vegas and Albuquerque
- David Goran answers when to self insure
- Long Beach: Community Invited to Learn About and Provide Input on Local Priorities for Federal Grant Funding
- Introducing Beauty Meditation - A Mobile App for Skin Treatment and Anti-Aging through Stress Relief
- Wohler releases out-of-band configuration tools for Riedel 2110 SFP's
- Wrap up Women's History Month with the tropical sounds of Jessica Medina's "Morir Soñando"
- Keysight Introduces Battery Emulation and Profiling Solution for IoT Devices
- Transtector Releases Outdoor, 10 GbE, PoE++ Data Surge Protector
- Levinger Regens Announces New Initiative to Improve Hydrogen Carbon Intensity
- Eve Wellness, a SF Breast Ultrasound Screening Clinic supports the recent FDA updates to the guidelines to inform women about breast density
- Expert tip: Private Jet Engine Maintenance Program - Pros and Cons for Preowned Jet Buyers
- Gaming and entertainment company Spinrack Corporation, appoints Jesse Norton as Chief Marketing Officer
- IGT Unveils New Class II Games and Next-Generation Innovations at 2023 Indian Gaming Tradeshow & Convention
- Vivani Medical Announces Public Filing of Registration Statement for the Proposed Initial Public Offering of Cortigent, Inc., a Subsidiary Advancing the Business of its Neuromodulation Division