- The New World of Social Networking: How Emojizing is Redefining Online Branding
- Amelia Earhart's Plane Possibly Found in Nikumaroro Lagoon
- Loop Neighborhood Welcomes New CFO, Jonathan Louie
Two weeks ago our City Council voted unanimously to provide temporary shelter to unaccompanied children arriving at our southern border. This humanitarian work is being undertaken by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and is first and foremost an effort to move children into a humane environment as they are quickly reunited with family or a sponsor. The Long Beach shelter is temporary until August 1, has no impact on conventions, and is paid for by the federal government.
Over the past weeks, we have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of community support. So many of you have called, emailed or left messages asking how you can help. We are excited to announce that we have launched a new online city portal at longbeach.gov/migrantchildren to coordinate efforts for community involvement.
We've also been informed that the children will be arriving sometime this week. Let's show them a warm Long Beach welcome, and focus on being kind and compassionate.
Here's how you can help.
The easiest and quickest way folks can support this effort is to donate online via the new Long Beach Migrant Children Support Fund at the Long Beach Community Foundation.
More on The Californer
- City of Angeles City of Mental Health
- San Francisco Announces Plan to Reopen City Hall to Public
- Long Beach: Expanded and Extended Rental Assistance
- ATEC Expands ISO 17025 Calibration Accreditation to LISNs & CDNs
- Disaggregated Networking Solution by IP Infusion and Edgecore Networks Deployment Completed at London Internet Exchange
The Long Beach Community Foundation, in partnership with the city and HHS, has launched the Long Beach Migrant Children Support Fund to accept monetary donations from community members, local organizations and businesses. All donations are designated specifically to provide assistance and supportive resources to migrant children at our Long Beach shelter.
Businesses and organizations interested in supporting the work at the shelter should complete this interest form. We will be sharing the information collected with HHS for review and consideration. Examples of services include:
- Food/meal services
- Mental health
- Family reunification
- Child supervision
- Legal services
- Religious services
- Language translation
- Case management
- Facility set-up assistance
- Health care
If you are interested in volunteering in some way, please fill out this volunteer form here. We plan to launch our first volunteer effort later this week.
More on The Californer
- 8 Surprising Benefits of Boxing to Unleash Your Inner Champion
- Global Coffee Shops Market to Reach $201.4 Billion by 2027
- FACERE25 and MJC Partners Successfully Launch New Fintech Advisory Firm Forty Grand
- Steve Muehler – Commercial Insurance – to begin offering Medical Malpractice Insurance
- Michael Johnson Performance chooses Mondo for training center tracks and weight room flooring
All of this information can also be found at longbeach.gov/migrantchildren.
Thank you all and let's do the right thing.
Mayor Robert Garcia
Latest on The Californer
- Carrington College San Leandro Announces New Criminal Justice: Corrections Program Director
- Neurana Pharmaceuticals to Present at 21st Annual Pain Therapeutics Conference
- San Jose: Big City Mayors Chair's Statement on California Governor Homelessness Funding Announcement
- BISTel Showcases Smart Pharma Innovation Award Winner GrandView APM at 2021 Manufacturing Assets and Reliability Conference
- Major Updates from the #DisneyMustPay Task Force: More Author Groups Join the Task Force
- California Roars Back: Governor Newsom Announces Historic $12 Billion Package to Confront the Homelessness Crisis
- San Joaquin Valley College Announces New Award Program for Nursing Students and Faculty
- Should We All Get Vaccinated in the United States
- CircleCI Acquires Vamp, Adding Release Orchestration to Their CI/CD Platform to Help Engineering Teams Deliver Business Growth
- Food & Beverage Packaging Redefined: The Chill-Can® & 5 Liter Keg Just The Beginning For Innovation Team At Joseph Company International, Inc
- Patriot Gold Group Extends "2021 Inflation Protection America First IRA" As Inflationary Concerns Soar
- EclecticIQ Appoints Jay Zimmet as Chief Revenue Officer
- Claims Assistance Program from autopom! Gives Drivers Automotive Peace of Mind
- Restaurateur Leads African American Initiative to Endorse Mayoral Candidate Eric Adams
- CentralCoastCatholic.net Expands Its Reach
- California Court Rules Beyond Meat Must Pay Don Lee Farms in Contract Dispute - Property Claim and Negligent Misrepresentation Counterclaim Also Found Meritless
- Agiloft Wins Silver Stevie® in 2021 American Business Awards® for AI Core
- ElevenSight Named TiE50 Award Winner at TiEcon 2021
- An Inventory System that Brings Historical Data Back to the Present
- Sidow Sobrino drops "Spin & Dance"