Over the last few weeks, we led a coalition of big city mayors in a tough fight to ensure Long Beach would receive a $40 million relief package funded by the state. The funds are earmarked to assist residents and businesses impacted by the COVID-19 health and economic crisis. We also received $13 million from LA County to assist with our health response.
I want to thank Governor Gavin Newsom for his support and our local Long Beach delegation including State Senator Lena Gonzalez, Assemblymember Patrick O'Donnell, and Supervisor Janice Hahn. We are in a critical moment in our city's history and these resources will go a long way to support our community.
Our proposal for the state funds includes:
- $20 million for COVID-19 testing, which is critical to preventing community transmission of the virus. $2 million for emergency and transitional shelters for people experiencing homelessness who are vulnerable to COVID. $3.6 million to help small businesses comply with new physical changes to their businesses and to innovate spaces. $1 million for digital inclusion, to ensure Long Beach families have access to online services. $1.5 million to support arts organizations and the creative economy to provide economic relief. $1 million to create a Youth Ambassadors program and hire youth from across the city by partnering with local nonprofits and to provide training in health education. $1 million Black Health Equity initiative to support community work and break down racial inequity in our health systems. $1 million for community nonprofits who have health programs and are serving impacted communities. $1 million for our business improvement districts to support them and their work with small businesses. $500,000 for mental health and domestic violence providers who need additional support during this tough time for many folks. And additional funding for citywide and community health programs.
More on The Californer
- Doctor Uses His Profound Spiritual Journey to Inspire Others
- MIRAmedtech and Bio-Infusions Join Forces in Bringing Aesthetic Medical Innovations to the USA
- Empowering children's picture book aims to whisk away young readers on magical adventures
- CEO Coaching International Recognized on the Inc. 5000 List for Sixth Consecutive Year with Three-Year Revenue Growth of 221.5%
- Tecan expands presence in the United States with new distribution agreement
This funding will significantly help some of our most vulnerable neighbors and small businesses.
In addition, we are using the $13 million from LA County to directly support our COVID health partnerships and testing.
We will continue to fight and advocate for Long Beach.
Go Long Beach,
Mayor Robert Garcia
Latest on The Californer
- OL NA-TRUE-L Immune Booster "Attack Coronavirus Before It Attacks You"
- Local Massage Business Refuses To Let Summer Go To The Dogs
- San Francisco: Board of Supervisors Approves Balboa Reservoir Housing Project
- Succulent Market Announces the Release of New Succulent Varieties Available for Sale
- San Francisco Stress and Anxiety Center welcomes our Community Engagement Manager, Lisa Consiglio
- Tips for Choosing the Right Gold Rope Chain and Pendant
- Durham Record Label Maison Fauna Announces Its First Release
- Kansas City International Airport Adds Three BYD Buses
- Code-Analytics Innovator Merico Raises Seed-Round Led by GGV Capital to Empower Engineering Teams in a Post-Pandemic World
- Siembra Heritage Weaves Tradition & Fashion Together in Handmade, One-of-a-Kind Pieces
- AUA Announces Agreement with Texas's Schreiner University
- Axiomtek's Ultra Compact Network Appliance with 4 GbE LANs for IIoT Security Applications - NA346
- CMS issues the First Ever Guidance on Remote Patient Monitoring for proposed 2021 Physician Fee Schedule
- Smokescreen eyes a larger share of the global cybersecurity pie; appoints Preekshit Gupta as Head of Sales – India, MEA, and, APAC
- Evolve IP® Named For Eighth Time to the Inc. 5000 List of Fastest-Growing Private Companies
- 'Sommet Dame' Media Kit Reflects The Sophistication And Grace Of The Modern Woman
- Julia's headband wigs cheap human hair wigs for black women
- Netberg Joins Telecom Infra Project (TIP)
- Pat Brown Institute at Cal State LA honors California secretary of state
- Cal State LA Selects SELA Collaborative for the Statewide Civic Action Fellowship Program