- Goat Anti-Mouse IgG1 Fab Fragment Cyanine 3 Conjugate
- Gambian Films Earn Prestigious Selection at Ohio Valley Festival for Filmmakers of Color
- Wells Fargo Investment Institute Believes 2024 is a Pivotal Year for the Economy and Markets
Jarrid Long, an Amazon driver and Teamsters Local 396 member from Palmdale, said "Amazon doesn't care about our safety, so we organized a union to keep ourselves safe. I've been chased by dogs. I've been close to fainting from the heat in the vans. We are on strike to put an end to Amazon's unfair labor practices, and more Amazon workers are joining the fight every day."
The strike began at Amazon's DAX8 delivery station in Palmdale on June 24th and has since spread to 16 warehouses around the country including California, New Jersey, Connecticut, Michigan, Georgia, and Massachusetts. Victor Mineros, Secretary-Treasurer of Local 396 in Los Angeles said "Since the strike started, these Amazon workers have remained united in pursuit of fair pay and safe jobs. And they are standing strong against Amazon's retaliation and its illegal refusal to recognize the union and engage in bargaining."
In April of this year 84 workers in Palmdale organized with the Teamsters becoming the first union of Amazon drivers in the country. As members of Local 396 they bargained a contract with Amazon's Delivery Service Partner (DSP), Battle-Tested Strategies (BTS). Despite having absolute control over BTS and workers' terms and conditions of employment Amazon refuses to recognize or honor their union contract instead engaging in dozens of unfair labor practices that violate federal labor law including terminating all newly organized workers.
More on The Californer
- Governor Newsom Highlights Funding for Climate Change Resiliency Projects Across California
- The Major Hope Foundation Brings 'A Major Day of Hope To Los Angeles'
- Blue Ridge Bankshares, Inc. (BRBS) Investor Notice: Robbins LLP Reminds Shareholders of Class Action Filed Against Blue Ridge Bankshares, Inc.
- California Gets $70 Million in Federal Funding to Accelerate Salton Sea Restoration
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 12.8.23
The strikers will continue until their demands for fair pay and safe jobs are met which includes reinstating unlawfully terminated Palmdale employees recognizing their Teamsters Union respecting their negotiated contract as well as bargaining with them to address low pay and dangerous working conditions.
In April 84 workers organized with Teamsters Local 396 becoming the first union of Amazon drivers in America. They sought protection from extreme temperatures which can exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit during Palmdale summers as well as rights for drivers to drive safe equipment and refuse unsafe deliveries.
Earlier this month however Amazon announced pay rates that fall below industry standards set by UPS Teamsters who organized a national strike threat this year forcing UPS to raise minimum warehouse wages for new hires by $5.50 an hour while all UPS Teamsters won a contract with first-year raises of at least $2.75 per hour with average top pay for Teamster drivers growing to $49 per hour.
The International Brotherhood of Teamsters founded 1903 represents 1.2 million hardworking people across America Canada and Puerto Rico fighting for fair wages safe jobs better benefits improved working conditions job security retirement security health care reform workplace democracy civil rights immigration reform environmental sustainability public services public education public infrastructure economic justice corporate accountability consumer protection animal welfare social justice political action community service solidarity international solidarity human rights peace social justice economic justice racial justice gender equality LGBTQIA+ rights disability rights indigenous rights worker safety worker power worker voice worker solidarity collective bargaining collective action direct action mutual aid strikes boycotts protests rallies occupations civil disobedience direct democracy participatory democracy grassroots democracy community organizing community building coalition building alliance building solidarity networks mutual aid networks social movements social change revolutionary change radical change progressive change transformative change intersectional feminism intersectional activism intersectional organizing intersectional solidarity intersectional coalition building intersectional alliance building intersectional movement building intersectional network building global solidarity global coalition building global alliance building global movement building global network building international solidarity international coalition building international alliance building international movement building international network building
More on The Californer
- Welcome to SierraConnect, your go-to platform for everything PCB-related!
- Magnitude Lighting Welcomes Bob O'Riley as Product Manager,
- "Magnanimous," (book) Is a Delightful and Insightful Roadmap to Success That Challenges Tradition
- Evolus Reports Inducement Grants Under Nasdaq Listing Rule 5635(c)(4)
- L2 Aviation and Software Development Alternatives announce D-Link repair solution
The strikers remain resolute holding this corporate criminal accountable for its treatment of workers while millions more stand shoulder-to-shoulder supporting them against unfair labor practices until their demands are met
Filed Under: Business
Latest on The Californer
- Habitat EJC Assembles National Team for Permanently Affordable Community
- State Marks 100+ Water System Consolidations, Providing Safe Drinking Water for 90,000 Californians
- Chaos Loc Releases New Album "Life After Super Max"
- Joel Osman is Promoted to Partner at Parker Shaffie LLP
- Scott Cooper Miami Project Announces New Scholarship Winner: Aban Khan
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Judicial Appointments 12.7.23
- RH Reports Third Quarter 2023 Results
- Incandescent Entertainment Announces New Film, "Portal in the Pines," starring Jamie Kennedy to Begin Filming This Month in Lousiana
- Tella Firma Foundations Partners with Green Clean Solar to Increase Steel Recycling in the Renewable Energy Industry
- What California Accomplished at COP28
- California Humanitarian Aid Arrives to Help Civilians in Israel and Gaza
- Feature film about President Trump's response to the pandemic and the 2020 election – streaming now
- Kaiser Permanente Donates $10,000 To SEEAG's Ag-Education Programs
- Long Beach Pledge Guaranteed Income Pilot Program to Expand with Second Cohort
- Refurbishing Cryostats with IMEB Inc.'s Laboratory Techs and Its Benefits
- The Society of Voice Arts and Sciences has joined with Audible for the Muhammad Ali Voice of Humanity Honor to be presented to Viola Davis
- California: Governor Newsom Proclaims Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day 2023
- The Future of Deposition Summaries: The Synergy of Human Paralegals and AI in the USA Legal System
- The Hutchinson Prize Provides Dozens of Scholarships to The Most Impoverished Students in Kenya's Huruma District
- Blueshift Launches Free CDP Starter For Cross-Channel Engagement