The text of the proclamation is below:
Today we honor a hero for not just his own community, but for every Californian fighting for freedom and equality. Born on this day in 1930, Harvey Milk settled in San Francisco and found a thriving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community that faced widespread hostility and had no voice in government. Milk fearlessly organized this community and extended a hand to others, working with labor and civil rights activists who were all struggling for justice. Milk's fierce advocacy and skillful coalition-building helped him win a seat on San Francisco's Board of Supervisors in 1977, making him one of the first openly gay elected officials in the United States.
Milk stood firm in his belief that freedom and dignity should extend to all human beings, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, at great personal risk. Milk paid the ultimate price for his advocacy when he was struck down by an assassin's bullet just a year into his term on the Board of Supervisors. His legacy lives on in laws and policies that protect the LGBTQ community and in the hearts of generations of activists.
More on The Californer
- San Jose: Notice of CEQA Posting: Charcot Avenue Extension Project and EIR Public Hearing
- STARK Industries, LLC Awarded NASA JPL - VITAL Ventilator Manufacturing License to Combat the Global COVID-19 Crisis
- Americans Face Problems Paying Medical Bills Despite Health Insurance
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces the First New Affordable Housing Development on Treasure Island is Moving Forward
- Real Estate Agent in Montebello, CA 90640
As we honor Harvey Milk today, let us remember his words, "Hope will never be silent." Members of the LGBTQ community – in the United States and around the world – still face discrimination and violence, rooted in the same hatred that Milk died fighting. They deserve hope, and they cannot abide our silence. We must carry on his fearless advocacy as we work towards a California for All.
NOW THEREFORE I, GAVIN NEWSOM, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim May 22, 2020, as "Harvey Milk Day."
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 22nd day of May 2020.
Governor of California
Secretary of State
Latest on The Californer
- Teenage mariachi ensemble records album during pandemic, keeping social distancing guidelines
- Getman Takes his Popular Book Fairs into the Virtual World Transforming the Way Buyers Meet Sellers of Rare Books, Maps, Prints and Ephemera
- Survivorship Conference Presentations Educate Readers about Ritual Abuse and Mind Control
- Teleroute, Part of Alpega Group, launches an API Interface and a new Mobile App to help their growing number of customers work even more efficiently
- Exclusive interview with Katherine Schwarzenegger Pratt "Catching up with Natalie & Katherine"
- San Francisco: New Health Order Requires Residents and Workers to Wear Face Coverings Outside the Home
- San Jose: FLASH REPORT #109 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
- Space Cadet Launches A Flower Sniffer's Book Of Paper Craft to Ward off Boredom Better Than Binging TV
- Orange County Lemon Law Attorney Luis Aguirre Launches Spanish Version of its Website
- Summer Camp ONLINE at Theatre School @ North Coast Rep
- Mayor London Breed Announces Timeline and Plan for Safely Reopening San Francisco
- MedTrainer Named Best Compliance Management Solution Provider in 2020 MedTech Breakthrough Awards
- Beta-Mannosidase Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
- Launching OneQuantum LLC the Quantum Tech startup community
- OrPro Therapeutics Advances a New Inhalation Treatment Approach for COVID-19
- SmartGateVC Will Establish a Start-Up Tech Accelerator in Glendale Called Hero House Glendale
- RC Diedrich and Tremain Hayhoe Discuss Succeeding No Matter What
- Property from the estate of June D. Winkler will be sold online by Andrew Jones Auctions, June 16th
- Nicole Rogas, Senior Vice President at Experian Health, joins Nuevozen Advisory Board
- WHIP IT, SIP IT! Virtual Wine Tasting with Gerald Casale, Co-Founder of Rock Band Devo & Proprietor of The 50 by 50 Winery in Napa Valley