The text of the proclamation is below:
Today we honor a hero for not just his own community, but for every Californian fighting for freedom and equality. Born on this day in 1930, Harvey Milk settled in San Francisco and found a thriving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community that faced widespread hostility and had no voice in government. Milk fearlessly organized this community and extended a hand to others, working with labor and civil rights activists who were all struggling for justice. Milk's fierce advocacy and skillful coalition-building helped him win a seat on San Francisco's Board of Supervisors in 1977, making him one of the first openly gay elected officials in the United States.
Milk stood firm in his belief that freedom and dignity should extend to all human beings, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, at great personal risk. Milk paid the ultimate price for his advocacy when he was struck down by an assassin's bullet just a year into his term on the Board of Supervisors. His legacy lives on in laws and policies that protect the LGBTQ community and in the hearts of generations of activists.
More on The Californer
- San Jose Mayor Liccardo Announces Interim City Attorney
- How to recover hacked Facebook account through friends
- Harding University Programs Recognized for Excellence
- Nationwide Boiler Makes Monetary Donation to Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area in Lieu of Postponed Annual Charity Golf Tournament
- Evolve IP Delivers World's Only Omnichannel Contact Center Integrated with Microsoft Teams and Virtual Workspaces
As we honor Harvey Milk today, let us remember his words, "Hope will never be silent." Members of the LGBTQ community – in the United States and around the world – still face discrimination and violence, rooted in the same hatred that Milk died fighting. They deserve hope, and they cannot abide our silence. We must carry on his fearless advocacy as we work towards a California for All.
NOW THEREFORE I, GAVIN NEWSOM, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim May 22, 2020, as "Harvey Milk Day."
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 22nd day of May 2020.
Governor of California
Secretary of State
Latest on The Californer
- Isaac Lidsky Discusses His Descent Into Blindness en Route to Becoming a famed Author and Father
- The death of Naya Rivera was an accidental drowning | Criminal Defense and DUI | Red Metric Law
- MonthLeaf - The Cannabis Subscription Club
- American Bar Foundation Welcomes Snell & Wilmer Partner Elizabeth M. Weldon Into the Fellows
- California: Governor Newsom Signs Tribal Compacts and Concurs with U.S. Department of the Interior Decision
- Attorney Daniel Vaswani of Red Metric Law releases video discussing Trump's use of federal agents
- Barks in the Bottoms During These Dog Days of Summer in Kansas City's West Bottoms
- Snoop Dogg Teams Up With Bumpboxx Launching the first in the celebrity collection Flare8 " Doggy Style"
- DeRonja Real Estate Welcomes Greyson Sargent
- San Jose Mayor Liccardo Statement on Caltrain Agreement
- California: Governor Newsom Statement on Loss of Nine Service Members
- New book gives best Rx for Covid-19!
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed and José Cisneros Announce Additional Fee Deferrals to Support Businesses During COVID-19
- Mona Clayton, RN, CEO of The Nurses Pub Launches Successful "Stay Covid Safe" Outreach
- Pearl A New Feature Film From Writer/Director Bobby Roth is Set For Digital Release August 11
- Carne Collective Launches Direct To Consumer All-Natural Argentinian Meat Delivery Service In Us
- The two most experienced minds in IP Ethics merge
- Dream Foundation Announces Director of Development
- Hail to the Deadites World Premiere at Fantasia International Film Festival
- AutoQuotes And UL Announce Strategic Partnership