- NEE INVESTOR NOTICE: Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Announces that NextEra Energy, Inc. Investors with Substantial Losses Have Opportunity to Lead the NextEra Energy Class Action Lawsuit
- TalentEarth Studios Partners with Product Signals to Empower Game Development
- New York Komedians Presents an Evening of Laughs at Broadway
Mayor Rex Richardson said, "Tsunamis are among our most infrequent hazards, but because Long Beach sits on the Pacific Rim, their threat is still a real possibility. We encourage all those who live, work and recreate in Long Beach to discuss an emergency plan and prepare in the event of a tsunami."
Reginald Harrison, Director of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Communications added that tsunamis can be caused by a local or near-source earthquake, a far-source earthquake or a landslide under the sea. A near-source tsunami could provide as little as 15 minutes before it reaches Long Beach's shore while a far-source tsunami could provide up to 15 hours before it reaches the local shore. He also noted that when a tsunami is imminent, residents can generally mitigate injury by quickly moving to higher ground or inland.
More on The Californer
- SHAREHOLDER ACTION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Encourages Investors in Funko, Inc. with Losses of $100,000 to Contact the Firm
- Capehart Pops Orchestra Featured Harmonica Soloist C J Oldis Drops First Four Singles Via Streaming
- Live Courageously Podcast Show with John Duffy With Guest Director and Producer Michael Mike
- A Spooktacular Twist: A Company Picnic Unveils Five New Themes for a Halloween Picnic!
- The World's First Credit Card Dedicated to Diamond Ownership
To participate in Tsunami Awareness Week, residents can attend the Aquarium of the Pacific's Tsunami Awareness Panel Discussion on March 27 at 6:30 p.m., sign up for Alert Long Beach emergency notification system at AlertLongBeach.com and receive informational flyers and Tsunami Preparedness Guide from Disaster Preparedness staff canvassing businesses and residential areas in the tsunami inundation/flood zone throughout March. Residents are also encouraged to practice their family emergency plan and learn basic emergency medical procedures as well as prepare go-bags with essential items necessary for each family member and pets for up to five days evacuation period.
In addition, people are encouraged to share educational content about tsunamis posted on @LBDisasterPrep social media channels and join Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) or take classes through American Red Cross to learn basic emergency medical procedure. To learn more about tsunamis and other disaster preparedness topics as well as get access to complete list of resources visit Department of Disaster Preparedness website or follow @LBDisasterPrep on Facebook and Instagram.
The City of Long Beach Department of Disaster Preparedness encourages all residents living in the inundation/flood zone to take this opportunity during Tsunami Awareness Week events and activities to learn about risk of a tsunami, understand warning signs, create survival kit and practice evacuation plan so they can be prepared if needed.
Filed Under: Government, City
Latest on The Californer
- Long Beach Advancing Peace Hosts Leaders of Violence Prevention Symposium
- Harness Recognized With Highest Scores in CI/CD and Platform Capabilities Evaluation Among Top Integrated Software Delivery Platforms
- Rio Tinto U.S. Borax becomes first open pit mine to transition to renewable diesel
- Pokemon Home Error Code 9012: Comprehensive Troubleshooting Guide to Regain Access
- Calvetta Phair, CEO of America's Workforce Solution, LLC, accepted into the Nasdaq Entrepreneurial Center, 'Milestone Circles' Program
- Lagree Fitness and VersaClimber Partner to Revolutionize the Fitness Industry
- CareTrust REIT Acquires Two Memory Care Facilities with Experienced Operator
- Australian Battery Recycling Technology Startup Advances Its Innovative Battery Metals Recovery Process
- California: What They're Saying: Governor Newsom's Proposals to Build More, Faster
- California: Governor Newsom Announces $16 Million to Support Farmworker Homeownership
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Announces it is Investigating Claims Against SentinelOne, Inc. and Encourages Investors with Losses to Contact the Firm
- Life360 to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conference
- Long Beach: Community Invited to Provide Input on Updated Subdivision Ordinance
- City Seeks Partners to Support Long Beach Collaboratory Smart City Initiative Program
- bisco industries becomes UL-Registered in Processed Wire
- EPA Clean School Bus Funding Grant Application Assistance Now Available from BYD
- Mix Engineer Rob Chiarelli Continues Billboard Gospel Charts Success with "All Things"
- City of Long Beach Announces Departure of Animal Care Services Bureau Manager Staycee Dains as She Accepts Position as General Manager of Los Angeles Animal Services
- California: Governor Newsom Proclaims LGBTQ+ Pride Month 2023
- Trump Bus Tour sponsored by Legacy PAC will roll into the Georgia GOP State convention June 9th and 10th Columbus Georgia