"Today, as many seek to divide us, the interconnection between our states is more important than ever," said Governor Newsom. "This MOU will create a forum to open doors for business and cultural exchanges within a region whose economies, histories, and conventions are inseparable. They will strengthen existing connections and grow new ones."
Left to right: Governor Mendoza, Governor Newsom and Governor Bonilla sign MOU.
California and the Baja region have one of the busiest border crossings in the world. In 2018, 1.4 million trucks, 32 million personal vehicles, and almost 1 million containers crossed the border between Baja California and California. Between Otay Mesa and Calexico, the border is California's fourth biggest goods entry point. Only the San Pedro Bay ports and LAX are larger. $41 billion worth of imports passed through the border and arrived in California in 2018. Top imports include electric machinery, vehicles and medical instruments.
More on The Californer
- Attivo Networks® Takes Home Four Platinum Category Wins in 2019 'ASTORS' Homeland Awards
- Thiel College to host cyclists for Bike MS: Escape to the Lake 2020 fundraising event
- Bow Wow Labs, Inc. Bully Buddy Starter Pack Launches on Amazon!
- Regional Mexican singer William Garza to serenade our Lady of Guadalupe on the eve
- Los Angeles-Based Folk/Pop Singer Drops Emotional Debut Single
In 2018, over $24 billion dollars of exports flowed through Calexico and Otay Mesa ports into Baja California. Top exports include electric machinery, heavy machinery, plastics, and vehicles. Agricultural trade has also become a staple between the two regions. The border handled over $1.8 billion worth of agricultural products flowing into Mexico and another $3.6 billion of agricultural products into California, including over $2 billion of vegetables, fruits, and nuts.
Tourism is also an economic driver for the regions. Mexico is California's number one international market, with daily flights from all over California to Los Cabos International Airport and other destinations on the Baja peninsula. Each week, there are 588 non-stop flights between California and Mexico.
Participating states intend to share information about common areas of interest, including energy and the environment, transportation and infrastructure, emergency preparedness and response, economic development and tourism, agriculture, and public health.
Participating states and their respective staff will carry out activities in the MOU and will meet at least once a year.
Earlier this year, the Governor's Representative for Trade and International Affairs, Lieutenant Governor Eleni Kounalakis, led a delegation to Mexico City to establish California's trade and services desk at the University of California's Casa de California. The commitment today builds on that important work.
More on The Californer
- The Story of the LUCKY GOLD COIN in the Cake
- Portola Pharmaceuticals Presents New Interim Data from Ongoing Phase 2a Study of its Oral SYK/JAK Inhibitor Cerdulatinib in Heavily Pre-Treated T-Cell Malignancies
- The Quid Pro Quad in a Marital Affair Gone Bad
- Kirk Stange And Stange Law Firm, PC Proud To Support Kids Rock Cancer On Their 10th Year Anniversary
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
"We are very excited to participate in this collaborative agreement between the three Californias," said Baja California Norte Governor Jaime Bonilla Valdez. "It is impossible to think of Baja California without considering our north and south neighbors as one region. Our states are border neighbors, naturally there's an intimate economic and cultural interaction beyond borders. We hope that this partnership will develop the wellbeing of our citizens and residents."
"The Californias are an area that historically we have maintained cultural and commercial ties. The territorial separation that we lived 171 years ago was not an impediment for Californians to increase our relationships," said Baja California Sur Governor Carlos Mendoza Davis. "We share origin, and today we share a vision of the future. So the installation of this Commission is a great step that we take in the area of regional integration, cooperation and the search for solutions to common problems. The Californians have challenges in terms of environment and energy, infrastructure and transportation, civil protection, economic development and tourism, agriculture and public health. I emphasize that the foundations of the Commission are collaboration, the exchange of experiences, and above all the will; willingness to build agreements, and understanding."
The text of the MOU can be found here.
Latest on The Californer
- Pilot Trading Expands Its Suite of Broker Integrations by going Live with TradeStation
- This is how we fix if Printing not Printing Color Properly -Ysupportnumber
- Right Cars Vehicle Rental announce the appointment of Alison Lee as Customer Service Director
- Waterside Productions Announces Joie Goodkin's New Book "You Can Do It!"
- The Azores - the world's first certified archipelago
- Governor Newsom Launches 100-Day Challenge Initiative for California Cities & Counties to Fight Homelessness
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 12.5.19
- Long Beach: Social Workers at our Libraries
- Eltropy Chosen to Improve Collection Response Rates for UNIFY Financial Credit Union
- CopyLady Earns ENX Magazine Elite Dealer of the Year Award
- Chevy Warranty Alternative Available from autopom! Agents
- Cerevo Becomes Afero's First Advanced Tier Integration Partner
- How Quitters Can Rebound By Using Montessori Tools
- Auto Driveaway acquires a majority interest in Sparkle Mobile LLC
- Jamul Casino® Revamps Loft 94, Now Offering an Asian-Inspired Experience
- Freedom Spreads in South America
- Cloud CMA integrates Buyside to provide valuable intel on real-time buyer demand
- Flipping the Script: Native Moto Adventures challenges the male dominated motorcycle world with female-led tours
- Symplast Founder Dr. Kusuma to Present Telehealth Session at the 2019 Florida Plastic Surgery Forum
- Designer of Original TMNT Action Figures is offering $115 Custom Drawings through December 2019