- TVS Cipher Network Adds Lights Out,Foreign Intrigue,Science Fiction Theater to WatchYour.TV Platform
- TVS Nostalgia TV Network Adds My World and Welcome to It to Winter 2022 WatchYour.TV Schedule
- Cpics - A New Streaming Platform Dedicated to South Asian Content Announce Upcoming 2022 Activities
In 2019, the City granted the loan to advance funds for the Proposition G Living Wages for Educators Act (LWEA) parcel tax. However, $150 million were withheld from SFUSD in the past three years because of pending litigation on Proposition G, said the Mayor's office.
The District didn't halt the increased salary payment; instead, it paid it from the $26.6 million loan granted by the City, even as the litigation continued over the years. With the California Supreme Court ruling in favor of the school district, the District now has access to the withheld funds.
Earlier this year, SFUSD proposed massive cuts to contain a budget deficit and avoid a state takeover. The 2022-2023 Proposed Budgeting Plan included a cut across individual schools, specialized student services, and even layoffs to eliminate the $125 million shortfalls.
More on The Californer
- COVALT Concrete Floor Leveling, San Clemente
- Ethos Asset Management Inc., USA Announces Deal with Meat Alimentos e Servicos Ltda., Brazil to Expand 'General Prime Burger' Restaurants and Develop a New Brand in Brazil
- California: Governor Newsom Joins Vice President Harris to Highlight State-Federal Investments and Action to Build Wildfire Resilience
- A New Approach to Finding the Perfect Home
- RBB Bancorp Announces Completion of Acquisition of Certain Assets and Liabilities of the Honolulu, Hawaii Branch Office of Bank of the Orient
Mayor London Breed and Supervisor Hillary Ronen are offering to forgive the loan to address the structural budget challenges.
While announcing SFUSD's bail-out plan, Mayor London Breed acknowledged the uncertain fiscal crisis and said forgiving the loans is the step in the right direction. She added that the executive of the multi-year comprehensive plan would ensure that the loan plays a crucial role in stabilizing the District and the schools.
Supervisor Ronen expressed her concern over the financial crisis at the school district and stated that public schools in San Francisco and throughout the state are "chronically underfunded." She urged School District leaders to responsibly focus on their duties and take all financial decisions considering student wellbeing. She further promised to extend her support to public schools, students, and educators.
The California Department of Education (CDE) is also stepping up its effort to help manage the massive budget deficit. According to city officials, CDE will keep a close watch on the District's financial condition. It will further assign a fiscal expert to offer technical advice to the Board of Education and SFUSD administration.
Filed Under: Government
Latest on The Californer
- Strategic Benefits Advisors, Inc. Data Breach Triggers Investigation into Class Action Lawsuit
- San Francisco Extends Funding for Right to Recover Program to Support COVID-Positive Workers
- BetterHelp Partners with The Hidden Dream to Support Immigrant Communities
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Opening of Bayview Vehicle Triage Center
- California: Governor Newsom Statement on December Jobs Report
- Long-Term Care Insurance Claims Paid Data Shared By Association
- Sweet Flower, Los Angeles' Largest Owned and Operated Retailer, Launches Flagship Store in Culver City and Announces Record 2021 Results
- A. Barry Cappello and Leila Noël Selected to 2022 Southern California Super Lawyers List
- Franklin Limited Duration Income Trust ("FTF" or the "Fund") Announces Distribution
- TVS Hi Tops Network Goes to the Jungle With Ramar, Sheena, Bomba, and Jungle Jim on WatchYour.TV
- New Technology In Smart Watches Just For Kids
- Mirati Therapeutics Presents Positive Clinical Data with Investigational Adagrasib in Patients with KRASG12C-Mutated Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Onlive Server Launched Canada VPS Hosting with Upto 48 CPU CORE and Cloud VPS Control Panel
- David Hall, Founder of Velodyne Lidar, Files Lawsuit Against Executives Over Misrepresentations Regarding 2020 SPAC Merger
- LA electronic dance music star Tyler Garrett releases new 80's-inspired single
- BIS Research Study Highlights the Wiring Harnesses and Connectors for Electric Vehicles Market to Reach $22.87 billion by 2031
- A Cool Jazz Ballad that Contemplates the Nature of Consciousness; Octopuses
- Freedom Photonics Sets a New Milestone: auraTM 1550 nm Semiconductor Laser Amplifier Reaches >5.0 Watt Diffraction-Limited Output Power
- CASETiFY Collaborates with Peanuts to Introduce a Snoopy and Friends-Inspired Collection
- Businessman Ismail Sirdah Advertisement Strategies for Event Promotion