- CDAHK Chiropractors Pushes Healthy Feeding of Children
- 12 Cyber Monday Safety Tips for Retailers in 2022
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Announces it is Investigating Claims Against Archaea Energy Inc. and Encourages Investors to Contact the Firm
Malveaux will take the helm of this unique college, which focuses on an interdisciplinary analysis of the histories, cultures and social experiences of people of color, as debates over racial injustices and pedagogy make headlines.
"Learning about people of color, learning about marginalized people, learning the whole of American history is as important as learning quantum physics or English literature," said Malveaux, who is president emerita of Bennett College in North Carolina.
As a feminist and labor economist, Malveaux has focused on issues such as women in the workforce, the impact of racial wealth inequities on economic productivity and the implications of government policies on workers' health on the job.
Cal State LA President William A. Covino said Malveaux's long and accomplished record in academia and her history of advocacy will serve her well in her new role as dean of the college.
"I look forward to the work that the college will do and the collaborations that will emerge under Dr. Malveaux's leadership," Covino said. "This is a significant appointment for the college, but also for the city and the nation."
More on The Californer
- FCPT Announces Acquisition of Two WellNow Urgent Care Properties for $6.4 Million
- San Jose: : City of San José Financing Authority's Wastewater Revenue Bonds Receive Three "AAA" Credit Ratings
- Simple Ways to Rein in Energy Expenses this Holiday Season
- Mission Cloud Announces the Launch of Mission Control, a First of Its Kind Cloud Services Platform
- INVESTIGATION REMINDER: The Schall Law Firm Announces it is Investigating Claims Against Provident Bancorp, Inc. and Encourages Investors with Losses to Contact the Firm
The College of Ethnic Studies is home to the Department of Asian and Asian American Studies, the Department of Chicana(o) and Latina(o) Studies and the Department of Pan-African Studies. The college's inaugural year coincided with a global pandemic that shone a light on racial disparities; the murder of George Floyd, which pushed the nation's history of racial injustices to the forefront; police shootings of Black people; violence against members of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community; and the humanitarian crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border.
The college aims to develop leaders "who will engage in rigorous, self-reflexive study that motivates critical engagement, self-determination and decolonial understandings of the world."
"Like my ethnic studies colleagues, I feel that we are really fortunate to have recruited such a distinguished leader as our inaugural dean," said Professor Jun Xing, who serves as chair of the Department of Asian and Asian American Studies. "Dr. Malveaux's rich experience, national stature and leadership vision will for sure help raise the new college's profile and make it into a local, national and international center of excellence in the field of ethnic studies."
More on The Californer
- Sonnenblick-Eichner Company Arranges $22 Million Loan to Refi Doubletree by Hilton in Los Angeles
- New Study Projects VR Revenue to Reach $28.8 Billion by 2026
- Barcoding, Inc. Joins Zebra Technologies' PartnerConnect Mobile Robotics Specialization
- Citrine Informatics Appoints Amar Hanspal to its Board of Directors
- This Week in San Diego: Free Estate Planning & Living Trust Seminars
Malveaux brings a wealth of knowledge and skills honed during decades in academia and as a columnist, author and activist.
She has taught at several colleges and universities, including Meharry Medical College, Michigan State, UC Davis, UC Berkeley and San Francisco State. From 2007 to 2012, Malveaux served as president of Bennett College, which is a historically Black liberal arts college for women.
For many years, Malveaux wrote a nationally syndicated column that explored economics, policy and race. She also served as a television and radio commentator and was a contributing columnist for the publication that is now known as Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, and is a contributing writer for Essence magazine.
Malveaux is president of PUSH Excel, the independent education policy and scholarship arm of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition.
She holds a Ph.D. in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and master's and bachelor's degrees in economics from Boston College. She holds four honorary degrees.
Malveaux will begin as dean on July 1, 2021.
Contact: Cal State LA Communications and Public Affairs, 323-343-3050, [email protected]
SOURCE Cal State LA
Filed Under: Business
Latest on The Californer
- i2c Powers the Dominican Republic's First Neobank, Qik
- InventHelp Inventor Develops Three-In-One Linen Care Product (SFO 823)
- SEEAG Receives $10,000 Sprouts Foundation Grant
- Dr. Sharon Barnes is Helping California Homeowners Easily Create ADUs
- Ken W. Stone Joins Talent Concierge®
- The nominations of the 34th Huading Awards were announced, "Spider-Man: No Way Home" was selected as the Winner of Global Film Satisfaction Survey
- InventHelp Inventors Develop Under-The-Sink Back Rest for Plumbers (SDW 110)
- Prolific Political Author Chronicles Half Century Plus of Books on Race and Politics in America
- Teradata Showcases New World of Cloud Analytics at AWS re:Invent 2022
- The Countdown Has Begun to the Largest LGBTQ New Year's Events in the World; Largest Producer/Organizer of LGBTQ+ Dance Party Events in the U.S. Announces Multi-Day New Year's Eve Celebrations on Both Coasts: Masterbeat 2023
- Father Forms Non-Profit Organization with Simple Plea — See Disabled Persons®
- iHeartMedia Los Angeles' KOST 103.5 and Children's Hospital Los Angeles to Launch Seventh Annual Season of Giving Fundraising Campaign on Tuesday, Nov 29
- Simplilearn Acquires New York based Fullstack Academy, Aims to Achieve $200mn in Revenue by FY24
- Netberg launches Aurora 810 platform for next-generation networks
- Escient Pharmaceuticals Announces $120 Million Series C Financing
- The Trials and Challenges of a High School Track Team in RELAY
- Creatine Kinase MB from Human Heart
- Human Holo Transferrin (High Purity)
- Alex Hormozi Reviews - 100 Touches - What It Takes to Break Through the Clutter
- Charlotte Company Buys Unpaid Judgments in Mecklenburg and Iredell County