Tumlin is a renowned transportation expert with 25 years of experience working in cities around the world. Tumlin is currently the Director of Strategy at Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, a San Francisco-based transportation planning and engineering firm that focuses on sustainable mobility. In that role, he has worked to help cities achieve their broader goals through transportation, such as livability, economic growth, and equity. During his time as Oakland Department of Transportation, he guided the newly restructured department to institute a data-driven and equity-based approach, while streamlining a bureaucratic system that had historically delayed project implementation. He is a longtime resident of San Francisco and lives with his immigrant, artist husband of 25 years in Noe Valley. He has a Bachelor's degree in Urban Studies from Stanford University.
"Jeffrey Tumlin is exactly the type of forward thinking, results oriented leader that the SFMTA needs and I am excited to announce his new role as Director of Transportation," said Mayor Breed. "I believe Jeffrey is the right person to improve our public transportation, continue making our streets safer, and ensure that our approach is equitable and serves all of our residents across San Francisco. The SFMTA is an agency that requires a balance between managing an enormous day-to-day operation and developing the vision to help our City continue to grow without increasing gridlock. I know Jeffrey is ready to lead this agency."
More on The Californer
- Americart 2019 Documentary Film about Art in America's Heartland now available on Amazon Prime Video
- Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring California for All Small Business Month
- Medicare Supplement Association Offers Local Reporters Pricing Assistance
- Proposed Settlements of Class Action Lawsuit: Thompson v. 1-800 Contacts, Inc., Vision Direct, Inc., Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., Walgreen Co., Arlington Contact Lens Service, Inc., National Vision, Inc., Luxottica of America, Inc. (f/k/a Luxottica Ret
- Global Film Studio Chooses Greece to Film a Feature Documentary About Unique Aspects of Some of Bruno Pischiutta's Movies
"San Francisco is unlike any place in the world and I'm incredibly excited to help build a transportation system that serves all of our residents," said Jeffrey Tumlin, incoming SFMTA Director of Transportation. "I'm focused on putting people first and implementing solutions that work best for a diverse and ever-growing world class city."
In April 2019, Mayor Breed sent a letter to the SFMTA Board of Directors Chair Malcolm Heinicke outlining the ongoing challenges at the SFMTA and calling upon the SFMTA Board to launch a search for a new Director who could help deliver a world-class transportation system for San Francisco. A subcommittee of SFMTA Board Members led the candidate search process and the full SFMTA Board will take the final action to appoint Jeffrey Tumlin as the next Director of Transportation.
"With over twenty years' experience, Jeffrey has earned a reputation as a renowned asset to the global transportation space," said Malcolm Heinicke, Chair of the SFMTA Board of Directors. "We were lucky to have found him right here in our own backyard, and are thrilled for Jeffrey to lead our City's goals and values in the realm of mobility and street space."
"Jeffrey is a deep thinker invested in values-based solutions," said Gwyneth Borden, Vice Chair of the SFMTA Board of Directors. "We are grateful to have his expertise at the SFMTA and look forward to utilizing his experience balancing transportation modes and reimagining our streetscapes."
More on The Californer
- Singer/Songwriter Abigail Ory Releases New Single "Waves"
- Seismic Shift from New York to the Palm Beaches Signals Permanent Residency, Not Seasonal Vacation Homes
- How to Find the Best Prices for All of Your Men's Jewelry Needs?
- Gumroad Announces Grants for Small Black-Owned Businesses
- Tiffany Maddox- Actress/Model/Producer Joins Forces with Rock Solid Talent Entertainment
In June, Mayor Breed, along with Supervisors Rafael Mandelman and Aaron Peskin, created a Transit Performance Working Group tasked with reviewing the performance of the City's current bus and rail system and recommending actionable steps that the City can take to improve service for riders. The working group includes transit experts who have operated large systems throughout the country, labor leaders representing the City's transit workers, and transit advocates pushing for improvements in Muni service. This group has been meeting regularly and will provide the new Director of Transportation with a roadmap to address challenges facing the City's transit system.
Upon his start in December, Tumlin will begin by assessing the state of the agency and taking action on some of the city's most pressing transportation needs. This includes focusing on public transportation and taking steps to implement the recommendations of the Transit Performance Working Group. In parallel, he will reinforce the early successes of the "quick-build" safety program and take additional steps to accelerate the pace of delivering safer streets for all users. Finally, 2020 will be a significant year for major capital transportation projects around the city and Tumlin will focus on improved project delivery and ensuring proactive communication around these transformational efforts.
Latest on The Californer
- San Francisco Announces Temporary Pause in Next Phase of Reopening Amid Rise in COVID-19 Activity
- Gig Workers Financial Concerns Surveyed By Association
- Flagship Cruises & Events COVID-19 Update
- PayCafe Announces New Partnership with JVZoo
- Brasa Capital Management Closes on Inaugural Credit Vehicle
- Long Beach: We Fought For And Got $53 Million In COVID Relief
- Consolidate All Inventory Data with the New Enterprise License
- Intermountain Healthcare Implements DeepThink Health's Precision Intelligence Solutions to Manage its Molecular Tumor Board
- Cure SMA Urges Remaining States to Expedite Adoption of Newborn Screening for Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- World's only B Corp™ certified PPE supplier gains fourth certification; Helps reduce Coronavirus waste
- Could this be the next Nike? Dionies Sportswear Looks to Crowdfunding for an Impressive Kickstart
- PowerOptions Expands Partnership with Solect Energy Through Large-Scale Solar and Storage Program
- Bay Area Health Provider Partners with Medicom Health to Lower Medication Cost for Patients
- Products On The Go is creating the most natural and nourishing products in the country
- Mahmood Khan and Willoughby Symphony crack the Billboard Charts
- G. Kofi Annan Named State Coordinator for Global Entrepreneurship Week California
- NACCE Announces Multi-Year Partnership with the Philip E. and Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation
- Pandemics and Forecasting: Seeing the Way Forward via the Taleb/Ioannidis Debate
- IPD announces special partnership with Maxiforce to expand product reach for its customers
- Y the Wait Is Assisting Restaurant Owners to Deal with the Pandemic