Tumlin is a renowned transportation expert with 25 years of experience working in cities around the world. Tumlin is currently the Director of Strategy at Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, a San Francisco-based transportation planning and engineering firm that focuses on sustainable mobility. In that role, he has worked to help cities achieve their broader goals through transportation, such as livability, economic growth, and equity. During his time as Oakland Department of Transportation, he guided the newly restructured department to institute a data-driven and equity-based approach, while streamlining a bureaucratic system that had historically delayed project implementation. He is a longtime resident of San Francisco and lives with his immigrant, artist husband of 25 years in Noe Valley. He has a Bachelor's degree in Urban Studies from Stanford University.
"Jeffrey Tumlin is exactly the type of forward thinking, results oriented leader that the SFMTA needs and I am excited to announce his new role as Director of Transportation," said Mayor Breed. "I believe Jeffrey is the right person to improve our public transportation, continue making our streets safer, and ensure that our approach is equitable and serves all of our residents across San Francisco. The SFMTA is an agency that requires a balance between managing an enormous day-to-day operation and developing the vision to help our City continue to grow without increasing gridlock. I know Jeffrey is ready to lead this agency."
More on The Californer
- San Francisco: Mental Health SF Legislation Approved Unanimously by Board of Supervisors
- Aldo Dinelli, Houston's Top Celebrity Jeweler - Talks Diamonds
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Gun Buy-Back Event
- Don't neglect your overall health – advice from cosmetic surgeon Mitchell G. Cohen, MD
- Inland Products celebrates 30 years of manufacturing all-American Identification Tags
"San Francisco is unlike any place in the world and I'm incredibly excited to help build a transportation system that serves all of our residents," said Jeffrey Tumlin, incoming SFMTA Director of Transportation. "I'm focused on putting people first and implementing solutions that work best for a diverse and ever-growing world class city."
In April 2019, Mayor Breed sent a letter to the SFMTA Board of Directors Chair Malcolm Heinicke outlining the ongoing challenges at the SFMTA and calling upon the SFMTA Board to launch a search for a new Director who could help deliver a world-class transportation system for San Francisco. A subcommittee of SFMTA Board Members led the candidate search process and the full SFMTA Board will take the final action to appoint Jeffrey Tumlin as the next Director of Transportation.
"With over twenty years' experience, Jeffrey has earned a reputation as a renowned asset to the global transportation space," said Malcolm Heinicke, Chair of the SFMTA Board of Directors. "We were lucky to have found him right here in our own backyard, and are thrilled for Jeffrey to lead our City's goals and values in the realm of mobility and street space."
"Jeffrey is a deep thinker invested in values-based solutions," said Gwyneth Borden, Vice Chair of the SFMTA Board of Directors. "We are grateful to have his expertise at the SFMTA and look forward to utilizing his experience balancing transportation modes and reimagining our streetscapes."
More on The Californer
- Pierpoint Introduces Recruitment Resource Outsourcing (RRO) To Accelerate Recruitment Timeline
- Web Series "I Hear You" Screens In Front of A Celebrity Filled Audience
- Santia Deck Makes History; Signs Record Breaking Deal With Highly-Anticipated WFLA
- Saturn Vehicle Warranty Alternatives Available from autopom!
- Dbvisit Announces Release of Dbvisit Standby Snapshot
In June, Mayor Breed, along with Supervisors Rafael Mandelman and Aaron Peskin, created a Transit Performance Working Group tasked with reviewing the performance of the City's current bus and rail system and recommending actionable steps that the City can take to improve service for riders. The working group includes transit experts who have operated large systems throughout the country, labor leaders representing the City's transit workers, and transit advocates pushing for improvements in Muni service. This group has been meeting regularly and will provide the new Director of Transportation with a roadmap to address challenges facing the City's transit system.
Upon his start in December, Tumlin will begin by assessing the state of the agency and taking action on some of the city's most pressing transportation needs. This includes focusing on public transportation and taking steps to implement the recommendations of the Transit Performance Working Group. In parallel, he will reinforce the early successes of the "quick-build" safety program and take additional steps to accelerate the pace of delivering safer streets for all users. Finally, 2020 will be a significant year for major capital transportation projects around the city and Tumlin will focus on improved project delivery and ensuring proactive communication around these transformational efforts.
Latest on The Californer
- NASA Awards PADT, Arizona State University and Kennesaw State University a $755,000 Phase II STTR Research Grant
- Gatski Commercial Names David Bauman managing director of property management
- Lemon Perfect Named "Best New Product" at 2019 BevNET Awards
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Completion of Octavia 'Open Street' Project
- MC Companies Announced As 2020 Top Company To Work Multifamily
- Kids Make Stuffed Animals for Toy Drive
- Demarest Campbell's Book Baby Snakes Wins The 2019 Pinnacle Achievement Award for Literary Fiction
- New Christmas Single And After NAMM JAMM Concert from Smooth Jazz Label Innervision Records
- Landmark Combination Non-Surgical Penile Elongation Protocol Study Receives Approval
- 1099 Form Corrections Made Easy With The Latest 2019 ez1099 Software From Halfpricesoft.com
- How Do I Get Health Insurance Quotes?
- DuraFast Label Company Preparing for Demand for Epson's New CW-C6500 8-inch Color Label Printers
- Attivo Networks® Takes Home Four Platinum Category Wins in 2019 'ASTORS' Homeland Awards
- Thiel College to host cyclists for Bike MS: Escape to the Lake 2020 fundraising event
- Bow Wow Labs, Inc. Bully Buddy Starter Pack Launches on Amazon!
- Regional Mexican singer William Garza to serenade our Lady of Guadalupe in DTLA
- Los Angeles-Based Folk/Pop Singer Drops Emotional Debut Single
- The Story of the LUCKY GOLD COIN in the Cake
- Portola Pharmaceuticals Presents New Interim Data from Ongoing Phase 2a Study of its Oral SYK/JAK Inhibitor Cerdulatinib in Heavily Pre-Treated T-Cell Malignancies
- The Quid Pro Quad in a Marital Affair Gone Bad