Gun Buy-Back Event
1038 Howard St., San Francisco, CA
Saturday, December 14, 2019
8:00am – 12:00pm
"We've made great progress reducing gun-related violence in San Francisco, but any loss of life or injury from guns is unacceptable and has to stop," said Mayor Breed. "We all have to work together to save lives and keep our communities safe. Events like this one are important because they provide a place for people to get guns out of their homes safely and legally."
More on The Californer
- San Jose Mayor Liccardo Announces Interim City Attorney
- How to recover hacked Facebook account through friends
- Harding University Programs Recognized for Excellence
- Nationwide Boiler Makes Monetary Donation to Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area in Lieu of Postponed Annual Charity Golf Tournament
- Evolve IP Delivers World's Only Omnichannel Contact Center Integrated with Microsoft Teams and Virtual Workspaces
The San Francisco Police Department and United Playaz host gun buyback events at least twice per year. Following collection of the firearms, they are melted down and the parts are recycled to create jewelry and other goods that are sold to finance future gun buy-back events. United Playaz is a violence prevention and youth development organization that has worked in San Francisco for over 20 years.
"Through collaborations with community partners such as United Playaz, we've had great success preventing bloodshed in our communities," said SFPD Chief William Scott. "Whether it's gun violence on our streets or accidental discharges in our homes, these buy-backs help make San Francisco safer for everyone, particularly our families and youth."
"United Playaz hosts these gun buy backs to show the relevance of our mission statement: 'It takes the hood to save the hood,'" said Rudy Corpuz, Jr., Founder and Executive Director of United Playaz.
More on The Californer
- Mahmood Khan hits number 1 on Billboard
- Scream Queen, Sparkle Soojian, star of "Strange Files", in Ms. Health & Fitness Competition
- High Throughput Industrial NAS Storage Server Solution For Real-Time Data processing, Recording and Streaming
- Deadly Night Out Starts Filming In September
- Marketing Gurus Conversion Tactics & Digital Secrets
The Gun Buy-Back program has operated since 2014 and has collected over 1,000 guns. People can turn in their guns in exchange for $100 for a handgun and $200 for assault weapons. Funding for the gun buy-back was provided by philanthropic donations and a grant from the Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development.
Violent crime, particularly gun violence, dropped significantly in 2018. The findings from the SFPD's 2018 CompStat Profile reflect progress from a number of new initiatives spearheaded by the SFPD and Mayor Breed, including increased foot patrols, hiring more officers, and stabilizing neighborhoods that experience a higher level of crime. The 2018 CompStat Profile shows that compared to 2017: homicides decreased 18 percent; homicides by firearms decreased 37 percent; non-fatal shooting incidents decreased 30 percent; and aggravated assaults decreased three percent. In 2018, the SFPD seized 1,276 firearms, a 25 percent year-over-year increase.
SFPD's 2019 CompStat Profile will be released early next year.
Latest on The Californer
- Carne Collective Launches Direct To Consumer All-Natural Argentinian Meat Delivery Service In Us
- The two most experienced minds in IP Ethics merge
- Dream Foundation Announces Director of Development
- Hail to the Deadites World Premiere at Fantasia International Film Festival
- AutoQuotes And UL Announce Strategic Partnership
- GetMyBoat Exceeds $80MM ARR with Spike in Demand for Boat Rentals
- Fix My Practice Launches to Tackle Poor-Quality Health and Social Care Pandemic
- NACCE and Bridge for Billions Team Up to Offer "The Leap" to Community College Entrepreneurs Across the Nation
- Legacy Park Sports Launches GoDog GameStream To Live Stream Baseball and Softball Tournaments
- Author Laura Daleo Promotes Her Dark Supernatural Suspense Novel - The Soul Collector
- UserGems Shortlisted for Two 2020 SaaS Awards
- Onlive Server Launched UK VPS Server Hosting Service with Hypervisor KVM Cloud Panel and SSD Storage
- Alpega Partners with project44 to Deliver Advanced Visibility in North America and Europe
- San Jose: Mayor Liccardo Statement on Chief Garcia Retirement
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 8.3.20
- Private Placement Markets – Steve Muehler Announces Equity Research Division Launch
- CalAmp Appoints Amal Johnson to Chair CalAmp Board of Directors
- betterworks Ranks in World's Fastest-Growing SaaS Companies
- Bestselling Humor Author Switches Genres With New Horror Podcast Limited Series
- Senior Living Foresight Offers Summit Spotlighting Relevant Technology