Gun Buy-Back Event
1038 Howard St., San Francisco, CA
Saturday, December 14, 2019
8:00am – 12:00pm
"We've made great progress reducing gun-related violence in San Francisco, but any loss of life or injury from guns is unacceptable and has to stop," said Mayor Breed. "We all have to work together to save lives and keep our communities safe. Events like this one are important because they provide a place for people to get guns out of their homes safely and legally."
More on The Californer
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Accepts Win-Win Playoff Challenge from Mayor Eric Genrich of Green Bay
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring Lunar New Year 1.24.20
- Why Did My Car Insurance Go Up?
- Megha Dontha Narrates Audiobook Version of Best-Selling Startup Book 'The 60 Minute Startup'
- Fire Disaster Response Team at Guzi-West Helps Property Owners Navigate the Cleanup Process
The San Francisco Police Department and United Playaz host gun buyback events at least twice per year. Following collection of the firearms, they are melted down and the parts are recycled to create jewelry and other goods that are sold to finance future gun buy-back events. United Playaz is a violence prevention and youth development organization that has worked in San Francisco for over 20 years.
"Through collaborations with community partners such as United Playaz, we've had great success preventing bloodshed in our communities," said SFPD Chief William Scott. "Whether it's gun violence on our streets or accidental discharges in our homes, these buy-backs help make San Francisco safer for everyone, particularly our families and youth."
"United Playaz hosts these gun buy backs to show the relevance of our mission statement: 'It takes the hood to save the hood,'" said Rudy Corpuz, Jr., Founder and Executive Director of United Playaz.
More on The Californer
- BTI Completes OSHA 10 Training
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Policy Changes to Increase Usage of Substance Use Treatment Beds
- IAOP and The Rockefeller Foundation Announce Winners of 2020 Global Impact Sourcing Award
- Thought Provoking Consulting announces new hires to its 3D Digital Transformation practice
- Is "App Marketing" The New Email Marketing?
The Gun Buy-Back program has operated since 2014 and has collected over 1,000 guns. People can turn in their guns in exchange for $100 for a handgun and $200 for assault weapons. Funding for the gun buy-back was provided by philanthropic donations and a grant from the Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development.
Violent crime, particularly gun violence, dropped significantly in 2018. The findings from the SFPD's 2018 CompStat Profile reflect progress from a number of new initiatives spearheaded by the SFPD and Mayor Breed, including increased foot patrols, hiring more officers, and stabilizing neighborhoods that experience a higher level of crime. The 2018 CompStat Profile shows that compared to 2017: homicides decreased 18 percent; homicides by firearms decreased 37 percent; non-fatal shooting incidents decreased 30 percent; and aggravated assaults decreased three percent. In 2018, the SFPD seized 1,276 firearms, a 25 percent year-over-year increase.
SFPD's 2019 CompStat Profile will be released early next year.
Latest on The Californer
- Nutrient Technologies, Inc. Expanding Fertilizer Research
- Mayor London Breed Celebrates Opening of San Francisco's First Housing Program for Transgender Adults
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation Funds 6 New Research Grants In 2020
- How Entrepreneurs Can Run A "Lifestyle Business" Writing One Email A Day
- AutoQuotes Appoints New Chief Product Officer
- Limelight Health Wins 2020 BIG Innovation Award
- TurboTax Starts the New Decade by Empowering Latino Tax Filers Through Integrated Marketing Campaign
- Two join the Plymouth, MA-based Hart Speech Foundation Board of Directors
- The Legacy of Jack LaLanne, The Godfather of Fitness, Introduced to a New Generation
- Family of Man Killed in Conception Boat Fire Tragedy Files in the CONCEPTION Limitation Action
- Help with Sleep Apnea Disorder & Sleep Apnea Treatment- San Ramon Dental Excellence
- Maxeler Technologies Licenses Healthcare Technologies
- New Ascorbate Oxidase from Molecular Depot
- New Human Myoglobin Antibody and Antigen from Molecular Depot
- California: Governor Newsom Appoints Government Operations Agency, Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency, and Veterans Affairs Secretaries
- Greenlit Content Partners With Wizard World To Bring Esports To Pop Culture Events In 2020
- Satanic Child Trafficking Nightmare Distraction On Capitol Hill
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Deployment of Trailers and Medical Services Tents to Los Angeles County as Part of Accelerated State Action on Homelessness
- Announcing 2020 Race Roster of Awesome Experiences
- Pop Sensation Lv To Release Newest Single 'done Wit It'