- RMM Construction Management Services to Oversee New Buena Vista Rancheria Gov. Bldg
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 11.30.21
- Newsom announces 12 new appointments to the judiciary
Over the past few weeks, between 45 and 55 percent of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in California have been booster doses, with the state continuing to focus efforts in low-income communities
OAKLAND – Following the FDA's Emergency Use Authorization approval for COVID-19 booster doses, Governor Gavin Newsom today received a Moderna vaccine booster at an Asian Health Services' clinic in Oakland's Chinatown, encouraging eligible Californians to get their booster and keep immunity strong, especially as we enter the winter months.
"It's imperative that we all keep our immunities strong in preparation for the winter cold, flu and now COVID season, especially for those at increased risk," said Governor Newsom, who received his initial single-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine in April 2021 when his age group became eligible. "Getting vaccinated and keeping our immunity strong through boosters is a vital step we can take to protect ourselves, our loved ones and our community — it remains the best way to end this pandemic. Getting a booster is safe, easy, free, and you don't even have to stick to your original vaccine. This is your chance to continue to keep yourself and your community healthy."
The Governor was joined today by California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly and community and local leaders who have supported vaccine equity efforts in the region. To date, Asian Health Services (AHS) has administered nearly 30,000 COVID-19 vaccination doses and 56,000 COVID tests. On October 25, AHS initiated their first public booster dose clinic at a park in Oakland's Little Saigon area.
More on The Californer
- Codie Sanchez Reviews - This Contrarian Has a Lot to Say
- Breaking News: She's Looking Good (Robot Mix) by Rodger Collins
- ALERT: Alfi, Inc. Investors with Substantial Losses Have Opportunity to Lead Class Action Lawsuit - ALF; ALFIW
- A Unique Gift for the Person that Has Everything – A Soul Song Composed Just for Them
- The Law Offices of Frank R. Cruz Announces the Filing of a Securities Class Action on Behalf of Alfi, Inc. (ALF, ALFIW) Investors
Last week, the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) approved an Emergency Use Authorization for the Johnson & Johnson and Moderna booster doses, followed by recommendations from both the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Western States Scientific Review Workgroup that included "mix and match," the ability to receive a booster different from a person's original vaccine series. The Pfizer-BioNTech booster was approved in September and has since been available for eligible populations seeking to strengthen their immunities to COVID-19 and its variants.
Governor Newsom receives COVID booster in Oakland.
Already, nearly two million Californians have received their booster dose, representing 14.3 percent of the nationwide total recipients as reported by the CDC. The state's Vaccinate ALL 58 campaign will continue to focus on driving vaccine efforts in lower-income and non-English speaking communities with cultural competency and in-language services. Its community based organization network, in partnership with philanthropy, is now standing at over 700 organizations and will support outreach and appointment assistance efforts.
California has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country and the highest of the large states, with nearly 87 percent of the 12-and-over population having received at least one dose. Over the past few weeks, between 45 and 55 percent of all COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered as boosters.
Boosters are recommended for all Johnson & Johnson vaccine recipients who are 18-years and older and who were vaccinated two or more months ago. The CDC and Western States Scientific Safety Review Workgroup have declared the following groups of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna recipients eligible for a booster dose six months or more after their initial series:
- 65 years and older
- Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
- Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
- Age 18+ who work or live in high-risk settings
- Age 18+ who are at increased risk due to social inequity
Booster doses are not required for one to be considered fully vaccinated, but are encouraged for those that are eligible to ensure significant protection from COVID-19 and its variants, especially as we enter the winter months. Booster doses went through the same thorough scientific review process as the initial vaccine series and have been proven safe.
More on The Californer
- American Bottle Auctions will offer Part 1 of the Mel Hammer collection, online-only, December 10-19
- Newsom launches $300 million "Clean California" grant program
- SleepLab Anti-Snore: 50% Off black friday deal
- UPCOMING DEADLINE: Playtika Holding Corp. Investors with Substantial Losses Have Opportunity to Lead Class Action Lawsuit – PLTK
- The Godfather of Fitness, Jack LaLanne's Legacy Continues in New Book
Asian Health Services was established in 1974 in Oakland's Chinatown, and has since expanded to a 12-site community health center serving over 28,000 patients in Oakland and its surrounding communities in English and 14 different Asian languages.
"We're encouraging all eligible community members to come and get their booster shot," said Mychi Nguyen, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Asian Health Services. "This is the best way to continue to protect yourself against COVID."
For more information on how to receive a booster in your area and other COVID-19 vaccine information, visit www.myturn.ca.gov.
Latest on The Californer
- Special Gourmet Cooking Event!
- loanDepot celebrates week of giving with $50,000 donation to United Cerebral Palsy of Orange County
- California Governor announces seven new appointments
- Leonardo247 Wins the 2021 Multi-Housing News Excellence Award for Most Innovative Technology
- Stout Industrial Technology Hires Brent Shedd as Chief Executive Officer
- Mariachi Herencia de Mexico presents "It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year"
- Platinum Equity Completes Sale Of Orbit Irrigation To Husqvarna Group
- TurboTax Has Every Tax Situation Covered Whether Doing Taxes Yourself or With the Help of a TurboTax Live Expert
- Protagonist Therapeutics to Present at the JMP Securities Hematology and Oncology Summit
- How do I ask a question to Facebook?
- IaaS Tech Company StrongNode.io and Social Impact Gaming Ecosystem Original Gamer Life Name OIG Oracles Investment Group as Key Partner
- Tutor Perini Announces Two Projects Collectively Valued at $218.8 Million
- Kinecta Federal Credit Union Invites the South Bay Community to participate in the 3rd Annual California Great Santa Stroll to Benefit Mychal's Learning Place
- StrongNode.io Connects with Block0 for Strategic Partnership in Building the Future of Digital Connectivity
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 12.2.21
- LingoAce Raises $160 Million in New Funding Amidst Rapid Global Expansion
- MemorialCare Long Beach Medical Center Named Top 10 Percent in Nation for Joint Replacement, Receives National Excellence Award by Healthgrades
- EA Sports and Activision Former VP Kim Salzer Steps in as CMO for NFT Gaming Social Impact Ecosystem Original Gamer Life
- San Jose: Media Advisory: Business Tax Financial Hardship Exemption Extended
- Aldelo Completes NTEP Certification for Star Micronics Scale