- The New World of Social Networking: How Emojizing is Redefining Online Branding
- Amelia Earhart's Plane Possibly Found in Nikumaroro Lagoon
- Loop Neighborhood Welcomes New CFO, Jonathan Louie
First Partner and Secretary Ross lead a newly formed working group focused on expanding farm to school programming across the state
SACRAMENTO, March 12, 2021 – The California Department of Food and Agriculture Office of Farm to Fork (CDFA-F2F) will conclude its bi-annual, three-day California Farm to School Virtual Conference today. Featured conference speakers include California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and CDFA Secretary Karen Ross, co-chairs of the newly formed California Farm to School Working Group, a committee of experts focused on expanding farm to school programming in California.
The virtual convening, which began on Wednesday, March 10, 2021, brought together hundreds of farm to school practitioners, advocates, and government representatives from throughout the state and focused on strategies to increase food access, build equity, lift student voices, and open school markets for California specialty crop producers, with an emphasis on establishing farm to school programs that connect classrooms, cafeterias, and communities. Currently, 55 percent of California school districts participate in farm to school activities, translating to 373 school districts, 5,500 schools, and over 3.5 million students served. Research shows that access to farm to school programming improves students' academic outcomes, physical health, and social emotional wellbeing.
More on The Californer
- City of Angeles City of Mental Health
- San Francisco Announces Plan to Reopen City Hall to Public
- Long Beach: Expanded and Extended Rental Assistance
- ATEC Expands ISO 17025 Calibration Accreditation to LISNs & CDNs
- Disaggregated Networking Solution by IP Infusion and Edgecore Networks Deployment Completed at London Internet Exchange
"When kids consume and learn about nutritious foods, their minds and bodies grow, planting the seeds for healthier futures. Yet today, over two million California children lack access to healthy, whole foods, creating a greater urgency for us to expand our state's farm to school programming to meet their needs," said California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom, who will be hosting a conversation with chef, author, and food activist Alice Waters at the conference later today.
Given the multidimensional impact of farm to school programs, the First Partner and Secretary Ross have brought together leaders across state government and assembled a 14-member advisory committee and four subcommittees made up of several dozen agricultural, labor, environmental, educational, and health leaders to provide advice and expertise.
"We see farm-to-school programs as key in our quest for food and nutrition security and healthy diets," said CDFA Secretary Karen Ross. "I am grateful for the work of farmers, farmworkers, school nutrition teams, administrators, teachers, school gardeners and numerous support organizations for bringing us to this point. The outlook for farm-to-school is bright!"
This robust and diverse group of advocates, practitioners, and thought leaders will explore how to establish a resilient and climate-smart school food supply; expand student education and access; augment schools' procurement, infrastructure, and training; and identify key metrics of success for the California farm to school movement. Following a series of meetings and youth engagement roundtables, the working group will deliver a final report to the Governor with recommendations for how to advance farm to school programming in California.
More on The Californer
- 8 Surprising Benefits of Boxing to Unleash Your Inner Champion
- Global Coffee Shops Market to Reach $201.4 Billion by 2027
- FACERE25 and MJC Partners Successfully Launch New Fintech Advisory Firm Forty Grand
- Steve Muehler – Commercial Insurance – to begin offering Medical Malpractice Insurance
- Michael Johnson Performance chooses Mondo for training center tracks and weight room flooring
The working group's advisory committee includes:
- Rachelle Arizmendi, Pacific Asian Consortium in Employment
- Santana Diaz, UC Davis Health
- Paula Daniels, Center for Good Food Purchasing
- Keir Johnson-Reyes, Intertribal Agriculture Council
- Kristina Kraushaar, Rialto Unified Nutrition Services
- Anna Lappé, Real Food Media
- Craig McNamara, Sierra Orchards
- Andy Naja-Riese, Agricultural Institute of Marin
- Fausat Rahman-Davies, Rialto Unified Nutrition Services
- Kathy Saile, No Kid Hungry California
- Mohini Singh, Turlock Unified Culinary Teacher
- Jai Sookprasert, California School Employees Association
- Kat Taylor, TomKat Ranch
- Alice Waters, Edible Schoolyard
Latest on The Californer
- Carrington College San Leandro Announces New Criminal Justice: Corrections Program Director
- Neurana Pharmaceuticals to Present at 21st Annual Pain Therapeutics Conference
- San Jose: Big City Mayors Chair's Statement on California Governor Homelessness Funding Announcement
- BISTel Showcases Smart Pharma Innovation Award Winner GrandView APM at 2021 Manufacturing Assets and Reliability Conference
- Major Updates from the #DisneyMustPay Task Force: More Author Groups Join the Task Force
- California Roars Back: Governor Newsom Announces Historic $12 Billion Package to Confront the Homelessness Crisis
- San Joaquin Valley College Announces New Award Program for Nursing Students and Faculty
- Should We All Get Vaccinated in the United States
- CircleCI Acquires Vamp, Adding Release Orchestration to Their CI/CD Platform to Help Engineering Teams Deliver Business Growth
- Food & Beverage Packaging Redefined: The Chill-Can® & 5 Liter Keg Just The Beginning For Innovation Team At Joseph Company International, Inc
- Patriot Gold Group Extends "2021 Inflation Protection America First IRA" As Inflationary Concerns Soar
- EclecticIQ Appoints Jay Zimmet as Chief Revenue Officer
- Claims Assistance Program from autopom! Gives Drivers Automotive Peace of Mind
- Restaurateur Leads African American Initiative to Endorse Mayoral Candidate Eric Adams
- CentralCoastCatholic.net Expands Its Reach
- California Court Rules Beyond Meat Must Pay Don Lee Farms in Contract Dispute - Property Claim and Negligent Misrepresentation Counterclaim Also Found Meritless
- Agiloft Wins Silver Stevie® in 2021 American Business Awards® for AI Core
- ElevenSight Named TiE50 Award Winner at TiEcon 2021
- An Inventory System that Brings Historical Data Back to the Present
- Sidow Sobrino drops "Spin & Dance"