- Celebrate Earth Day on a wine-filled adventure along the Shawangunk Wine Trail!
- California: State Reaffirms Right to Contraceptive Care
- Multi-Platinum Songwriter Harold Payne Releases New Inspirational Anthem
"California stands with the people of Florida," said Governor Newsom. "Our state is all too familiar with the impact of natural disasters and we stand ready to provide any needed aid and support to the communities impacted by this horrific storm."
Responding to a request from the Florida Division of Emergency Management, Governor Newsom directed the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) to send an initial five-person team of mass care experts to facilitate shelters for those displaced by the hurricane as well as emergency operations center staff to support Florida's State Operation Center in Tallahassee.
California has indicated to Florida that it will make additional personnel and resources available should they be needed to support the response or recovery operations from the hurricane.
Previously, Cal OES approved the deployment of local government firefighters to Florida as part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) Response System. Currently there are California US&R specialists and firefighters from the following local agencies on the ground in Florida actively working to save lives: Los Angeles County Fire Department, Orange County Fire Authority, Riverside Fire Department, Sacramento Metropolitan Fire Department, Sacramento County Fire Department, Chula Vista Fire Department and San Diego Fire Department.
More on The Californer
- TERRASHADE® Receives Patent Approval for Innovative Portable Shade Structure
- California: Governor Newsom Honors Three Law Enforcement Officers With Medal of Valor
- Veracyte's Decipher Prostate Test Receives Highest Evidence-Level Rating Among Molecular Tests in Updated Prostate Cancer NCCN Guidelines
- ENTOUCH Awarded Prestigious Recognition in Inc. Regionals Southwest 2024
- Viking Therapeutics Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Stock
Hurricane Ian came ashore as one of the strongest storms ever to strike Florida and continues to move across the state with damaging winds, heavy rains and storm surges that left people trapped. Flooding and power outages continue to impact communities across the state and significant damage to homes, business and public infrastructure has occurred.
This deployment builds on California's far-reaching efforts to aid other states during times of need. Already this year, California sent firefighters to Oregon, firefighters and disaster recovery experts to New Mexico and also sent firefighters and a public information specialist to Montana. In 2021, California sent fire engines to Oregon to suppress the Bootleg Fire and Specialized Urban Search and Rescue Resources teams to Florida to assist in the Surfside tower collapse.
More on The Californer
- Omar L. Harris: Leading the Charge for a New Era of J.E.D.I Leadership, Inducted into Kirkus Reviews Indie Books of the Month and More
- The Law Office of Rene Potter Sues Owner of San Diego Martial Arts Dojo Alleging Years Long Sexual Abuse of Student/Employee Starting When She Was a Minor
- TVS Pinball Network Adds Over 100 Classic Cartoons to 24/7 Streaming FAST Channel on WatchYour.TV
- Visionary entrepreneur and technology leader, João Mendes de Miranda, reveals his secret to success
- California Seizes Record 62,000 Pounds of Fentanyl
During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor Newsom provided ventilators to Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada and Delaware and also sent millions of items of PPE to neighboring states along the West Coast.
Latest on The Californer
- MashUp presents 8th Annual International Women's Day Dance Festival
- Rocky Michaels releases his latest official music video, 'Seasons'
- City Encourages Long Beach Residents Enrolled in the U.S. Affordable Connectivity Program to Review Internet Bill as Program Funding Nears Completion
- Yours Humanly to Hold 7th Annual Gift of Schooling Gala, March 9, Blackhawk Museum
- Cal Lutheran Professor Named Inaugural Faculty Fellow
- TriCo Bancshares Announces Increase in Quarterly Cash Dividend
- City of Long Beach Launches Sidewalk to Success Program to Support Business Development
- Landis+Gyr and SPAN Announce Partnership to Unlock Electrification and DER Flexibility at the Grid Edge USA - English USA - English
- City to Host, Fund 2024 Long Beach Pride Parade
- Star Wars' The Mandalorian & Grogu to be Filmed in California Through the State's Film and TV Tax Credit Program
- California Sees Significant Increase in Applications to Join CHP
- Salem News Channel Host Mike Gallagher to Broadcast from Israel
- Vantiva Demonstrates One of the First Carrier-Grade Wi-Fi 7 Extenders and Advanced 5G FWA CPE at Mobile World Congress 2024
- Metro Commercial Brokers Deal Brings Puttshack to The Shops at Liberty Place
- Flourish Ventures Promotes Investment Leads in India and LatAm; Strengthens Bench in US and Africa with New Hires USA - English MEXICO - Spanish India - Hindi BRAZIL - Portuguese USA - English
- "LIBERTYLAND" Echoes January 6 in a Gripping Tale of Terror and the Quest for American Ideals
- CCHR and Electroshock Survivors Reject Psychiatric Apology for Tortured Children
- B. Riley Securities to Host Radiopharma Investor Conference in New York on March 1, 2024
- Legion Partners Sends Letter to Twilio Board of Directors
- Meredith Thomas Selected as Master of Ceremonies for International Women's Day Gala for 2024