The California Constitution gives the Governor the authority to grant clemency, including in the form of a commutation. A clemency grant recognizes a person's efforts in self-development, rehabilitation and prospects for successful community reentry. A clemency grant does not forgive or minimize the harm caused by the crime.
People currently serving sentences in California prisons may apply for a commutation.
The Governor regards this responsibility as an important part of the criminal justice system that can incentivize accountability and rehabilitation, increase the safety of the people working and serving sentences in our jails and prisons, increase public safety by removing counterproductive barriers to successful reentry and correct unjust results in the legal system.
More on The Californer
- California: Governor Newsom Statement on End of 2019 Legislative Session
- Perfect Health Mela in October to have Health Modules of Asian countries
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring National Preparedness Month
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 9.13.19
- For Advertising Wk (9/23-26) Some very Essential Advertising Math that Every Business needs to Know
All of the commutation grants made today will allow the inmates to go before the Board of Parole Hearings for a hearing at which the Parole Commissioners assess whether the inmate is suitable for release from prison.
The Governor weighs numerous factors in his review of clemency applications, including an applicant's self-development and conduct since the offense, whether the grant is consistent with public safety and in the interests of justice and the impact of a grant on the community.
Copies of the gubernatorial clemency certificates granted today can be found here.
Additional information on executive clemency can be found here.
Latest on The Californer
- Actress Carolyne Maraghi will star in Lifetime's "The Cheerleader Escort"
- New Must-Have Designer Jewelry: Say Hello To This Distinctive, Edgy and Boho-Chic Fall/Winter Collection
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed and Supervisor Ahsha Safaí Celebrate Grand Opening of New Job Center
- Nursing Home Abuse Firm Garcia & Artigliere Represent Client Who Suffered Neglect at Golden Hill Sub
- SEEAG Receives Grant From Foundation of Ventura County Credit Union
- Octave Chooses Adalane Media Group To Drive Therapy and Coaching Sessions for Clients' Emotional
- Perfect Body Laser and Aesthetics® Now Has Cynosure's Synchro REPLA:Y, The World's Fastest and Most Powerful Alexandrite Laser Technology
- Which companies are using Erlang, and why? #MyTopdogStatus
- Stratum Nutrition Welcomes David Hoover as Marketing Coordinator
- AccessLex Institute to Serve as Title Sponsor of National Pre-Law Diversity Initiatives, Inc.'s Outreach Events
- How much happiness do you want? How much can you handle?
- How To Quickly Configure Surveys, Charts and Reports in GravityForms in WordPress ?
- New study looks at whether your business writing is effective
- Rachel Racz Joins Amalgam: The Blockchain Company As Vice President
- San Jose: Public Review Draft MND: 1605 Industrial Avenue
- BellSouth email password reset
- California: Governor Newsom Signs Legislation 9.12.19
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 9.12.19
- Ontario's Southland Symphony Orchestra opens 9th anniversary season with "Pictures at an Exhibition"
- Of Mice & Men Release Music Video for New Single 'Taste of Regret'