The California Constitution gives the Governor the authority to grant clemency, including in the form of a commutation. A clemency grant recognizes a person's efforts in self-development, rehabilitation and prospects for successful community reentry. A clemency grant does not forgive or minimize the harm caused by the crime.
People currently serving sentences in California prisons may apply for a commutation.
The Governor regards this responsibility as an important part of the criminal justice system that can incentivize accountability and rehabilitation, increase the safety of the people working and serving sentences in our jails and prisons, increase public safety by removing counterproductive barriers to successful reentry and correct unjust results in the legal system.
More on The Californer
- Open Studios Day on Saturday, December 7th 2019 Angels Gate Cultural Center
- Globemaker Introduces New Handcrafted, Geographical Globes For Homes, Schools, Offices
- ForgingBlock has implemented Lightning Network and integrated more cryptocurrencies
- Warm Up With Tortilla Soup At Chronic Tacos
- JRM Web Marketing Names Jason Pesigan Website Consultant
All of the commutation grants made today will allow the inmates to go before the Board of Parole Hearings for a hearing at which the Parole Commissioners assess whether the inmate is suitable for release from prison.
The Governor weighs numerous factors in his review of clemency applications, including an applicant's self-development and conduct since the offense, whether the grant is consistent with public safety and in the interests of justice and the impact of a grant on the community.
Copies of the gubernatorial clemency certificates granted today can be found here.
Additional information on executive clemency can be found here.
Latest on The Californer
- Mossy Nissan Joins Padres Pedal The Cause In a Race To Cure Cancer
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamations Declaring Special Elections for 25th Congressional District and 28th Senate District
- Montessori Education Please, Monte-Something, No!
- HYLETE Postpones Initial Public Offering
- Lifetime Montessori School Launches Bilingual Montessori Program
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Winter Shelter Schedule
- Big Fuss Records Reveals Gen Lacroix As Artist To Watch In 2020
- Help Us Raise Awareness About The Tragedy Of This Mold Story
- Jason Gosnell Joins UrsaLeo as CTO
- Advanced Test Equipment Rentals Recognizes Vendor of the Year NH Research
- Iconic San Diego Bookstore Loses Lease
- Applebee's® is Turning up the Temperature with New Sizzlin' Entrees
- Axiros Announces A Strategic Technology Partnership With AudioCodes
- The Extraordinary Life of Shane by Lansing Productions coming 2020!
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 11.14.19
- Cocoa, Kids Crafts & Caroling @ the Kennels--Inland Empire Animal Shelter to Host Holiday Open House
- Peachtree Immediate Care Opens New Urgent Care Clinic in Tucker, GA
- Gorgeous Condo in the exclusive Ritz-Carlton Residences at LA Live
- EvolvingPlanet7.org, ProjectPeaceonEarth.org, PeaceSongAwards.org & SupportVeteransNow.org Partner with Third Ear Sound Healing App and its Founder
- California: Governor Newsom Statement on Santa Clarita High School Shooting