- TVS Cipher Network Adds Lights Out,Foreign Intrigue,Science Fiction Theater to WatchYour.TV Platform
- TVS Nostalgia TV Network Adds My World and Welcome to It to Winter 2022 WatchYour.TV Schedule
- Cpics - A New Streaming Platform Dedicated to South Asian Content Announce Upcoming 2022 Activities
"California is at its best when we look out for one another, and Officer Urrea's heroic and lifesaving action is an inspiring example to all of us," said Governor Newsom. "It is an honor to recognize her incredible bravery today and thank her for her unwavering commitment to the people of this state."
Click here for video of the virtual ceremony today.
"The Medal of Valor is the highest honor our state can give to a public safety officer, recognizing those on the frontlines who go above and beyond the call of duty," said Attorney General Rob Bonta. "Officer Erika Urrea went above and beyond. On what was a normal summer day, her brave actions were anything but the norm when she demonstrated great courage — in the face of great danger — by rescuing a fellow citizen from the brink of life-ending tragedy. Her valor represents the very best of the California spirit."
More on The Californer
- COVALT Concrete Floor Leveling, San Clemente
- Ethos Asset Management Inc., USA Announces Deal with Meat Alimentos e Servicos Ltda., Brazil to Expand 'General Prime Burger' Restaurants and Develop a New Brand in Brazil
- California: Governor Newsom Joins Vice President Harris to Highlight State-Federal Investments and Action to Build Wildfire Resilience
- A New Approach to Finding the Perfect Home
- RBB Bancorp Announces Completion of Acquisition of Certain Assets and Liabilities of the Honolulu, Hawaii Branch Office of Bank of the Orient
The Public Safety Officer Medal of Valor Act of 2003 gives the Governor authority to award medals to public safety officers who are recognized by the Attorney General for extraordinary valor above and beyond the call of duty. The Attorney General's Office receives nominations from public safety agencies that are then reviewed by the Medal of Valor Review Board, which makes a recommendation to the Attorney General.
Governor Newsom and Attorney General Bonta honor Medal of Valor recipient Officer Erika Urrea.
On August 12, 2020, Officer Urrea was driving on East Lodi Avenue when, as she crossed the railroad tracks, she noticed that Jonathan Mata appeared to be struggling with his electric wheelchair on the tracks. Officer Urrea made a U-turn and exited her patrol vehicle to aid Mata. As she did so, the railroad crossing arms lowered and the signals began to sound as a 250-ton freight train rapidly approached them. Officer Urrea ran to Mata and, realizing the chair would not move, managed to pull him away from the tracks just as the train passed. The train struck Mata in the leg, injuring him. They were both pushed back by the force of the train hurtling by.
More on The Californer
- Trina Rockstarr "Diamond Princess" Apes into Metaverse with 456 Collectors Club
- ExecuSearch Holdings, LLC Data Breach Prompts Investigation into Possible Class Action Lawsuit
- Archer Appoints Mark Mesler as Chief Financial Officer
- New Talk Show Premiers on Chow Entertainment KXLA
- 1017 Brick Squad Records 2022 New Artist Acquisition
Mata was transported to San Joaquin General Hospital for treatment and later released. Without Officer Urrea being alert to her surroundings and quickly responding with no regard for her own safety, Jonathan Mata would have surely been a casualty that day. For her extraordinary bravery, heroism and courage in the face of imminent and personal life-threatening peril, Officer Erika Urrea's actions were above and beyond the call of duty, and exemplify the highest standards of a California public safety officer.
Latest on The Californer
- BIS Research Study Highlights the Wiring Harnesses and Connectors for Electric Vehicles Market to Reach $22.87 billion by 2031
- A Cool Jazz Ballad that Contemplates the Nature of Consciousness; Octopuses
- Freedom Photonics Sets a New Milestone: auraTM 1550 nm Semiconductor Laser Amplifier Reaches >5.0 Watt Diffraction-Limited Output Power
- CASETiFY Collaborates with Peanuts to Introduce a Snoopy and Friends-Inspired Collection
- Businessman Ismail Sirdah Advertisement Strategies for Event Promotion
- How do a traveller opt Virgin America booking at low fare to hometown
- AHF Praises Merck for Generics – Urges Same from Vaccine Makers
- McAfee Continues to Provide Leading Online Protection to Consumers
- California: Governor Newsom Brings in State Support for Rail Theft in Los Angeles, Highlights State Efforts to Fight and Prevent Crime
- "Bliss Brain" Wins the Nautilus and American Book Fest Top Awards
- Insurance Association Launches 2022 Selling Medicare Insurance Video Package
- TEAMSTERS STAGE PRACTICE PICKET AT CEMEX
- Console & Associates, P.C. Investigates Class Action Lawsuit Following LendUS, LLC Data Breach
- ReoStar Energy Corporation Executes Letter of Intent (LOI) with an experienced oil and gas company
- CORRECTING and REPLACING PHOTO Open Influence Launches Go Prism Self-Serve SaaS Solution, an Innovative Influencer Marketing and Insights Tool for Social Media Marketers
- Yunishigawa Onsen's Kamakura Festival Features the Unique Northern Japan Winter Tradition: Kamakura or Snow Huts
- A New Social Network Based on Gratitude and Positivity
- Prophecy Raises $25M to Accelerate Availability of Its Low-Code Platform for Data Engineering
- Alten Construction completes modernization of Castro Valley High School
- We Are Reaching Out to Our Community in Los Angeles