AB 392 modernizes standards for use of deadly force by officers. Specifically, this bill updates the existing deadly force standards to provide that deadly force may only be used when necessary. AB 392 also requires officers to use other techniques to address threats instead of using deadly force when safe to do so, encouraging law enforcement to train on and use de-escalation techniques like verbal persuasion and other crisis intervention methods.
"This is a time for healing, progress and looking forward. The bill goes to the heart of some of our most sacred principles, in which force should be exercised judiciously, with respect for human life and dignity. The bottom line is that deadly force should only be used when absolutely necessary," said Governor Newsom.
More on The Californer
- HEX Performance® Makes Its Expo West Debut With Plans to Disrupt the Laundry Category
- City of San Francisco Moves Proactively to Prepare for Possible Novel Coronavirus Activity in the Community
- Laccase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
- Kindness of Strangers Comedy Tour Comes to Stockton March 14 for Fundraising Show
- SEEAG Receives $55,000 Grant From Dignity Health St. John's Hospitals
"With the Governor's signature, we are closer to a culture of policing in California that values and preserves human life," said Assemblymember Weber. "Working on this policy has been a high hill to climb, but what has lifted me up is the energy and the devotion of the families who have lost loved ones to these shootings. Our hope all along has been to save lives and to finally establish trust between law enforcement and communities of color."
The provisions in AB 392 will be reflected in both law enforcement agency policy and officer training statewide, and will further ensure that all officers in California are trained to a higher legal standard. Use-of-force policies have remained largely unchanged since 1874.
For full text of the bill, visit: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov
Latest on The Californer
- The Meatless Farm Co Debuts New Plant-based Breakfast Products At Natural Products Expo West 2020
- autopom! Offers Extended Auto Warranty Alternatives for Top Brands
- San Jose: Subscribe To Our E-newsletter (The Loop) and Win a San José T-shirt and Hat!
- U/Z Named Law Firm of the Year by Veterans Legal Institute
- February's Quick Tip: The Super Strawberry
- One Park Financial Celebrates "Grovie Wellness Day"
- Deep Indian Kitchen Heats Up Expo West With New Mild, Medium & Spicy Indian Meals
- Contify Launches a Brand-New Mobile Experience with the Advanced Features of its Market and Competitive Intelligence Platform
- Zezgo Rent A Car the high-quality rental brand commences service in the Dominican Republic
- Symplast CPO Izhak Musli to Present "Maximize Your Sales Process" at the 2020 American-Brazilian Aesthetic Meeting (ABAM)
- Triangle Real Estate Group CEO Makes Top 25 List, Earns Industry Distinction With Real Estate Franchise Brand Leader
- Curly's Caffeinated Water Debuts at 250+ H-E-B Stores To Change How People Hydrate and Energize
- UGE Signs Five New Contracts Across All Three Business Units
- William E. Lewis Jr & Associates announces the formation of a credit repair component
- NATP announces its annual 2020 Tax Forums and Expo
- Airforwarders Association Testifies at U.S. Senate Committee Hearing
- Peerplays Blockchain Standards Association Makes Investment Play in Education Game Startup
- Expert Shares Breakthrough Secrets To Transformative Storytelling
- Medicom Health Partners with Houston Hospital System to Help Patients Save on Prescription Costs
- Wind River Labs Unveiled to Drive Developer Innovation at the Intelligent Edge