- Sinaloa Cartel Embraces Diversity and Inclusion in the Post-Chapo Era
- Bioscience industry leader Guillermo Zuñiga receives honorary doctorate at Cal State LA Commencement
- City of Long Beach Seeks Feedback on Procurement Process Via Vendor Engagement Survey
Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said, "Through this ceremony, we are honoring the members of our military for their bravery, sacrifice and embracing the rich history of our community as a Naval city. My heart goes out to everyone affected by a military loss, past and present."
Honoring Our Heroes – A Sunset Ceremony will take place from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Long Beach Navy Memorial in Shoreline Aquatic Park (200 Aquarium Way). Free parking is available in the lot adjacent to the Navy Memorial site. The program will include patriotic music provided by the Navy Band Southwest Harborside Brass Quintet; flyovers with historic aircraft; drills by Lakewood High School's Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps; an information fair and activities featuring the Historical Society of Long Beach, People of the Earth Krew and other local community-based organizations; a brief program with guest speakers including acclaimed artist Terry Braunstein who created Navysphere; and keynote speaker Sergeant Major Charles Cook Jr. (US Marine Corps, retired), President of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Montford Point Marines. At sunset there will be a flag ceremony and playing of Taps to honor fallen service members.
More on The Californer
- TVS Television Network In Production for 'Music Movie' No Mas With Principal Shooting in New Mexico
- "Sensory VoiceHub 2.0: Rapid Custom Voice UI Dev & Prototyping with Generative AI"
- California: Illegal Book Bans: Governor Newsom, Attorney General Bonta, and State Superintendent Thurmond Warn Against Book Bans Statewide
- INshed Now Offers Nationwide Shipping of Fully-Assembled, Eco-Friendly Backyard Offices
- Canada's Wildfires Are A Sign Of The Times; Dealing With Their Aftermath
Health Department Director Kelly Colopy said "This event brings the community together to remember our fallen and learn more about the rich history of the Navy in Long Beach. We hope it becomes a new tradition in our city." First District Councilwoman Mary Zendejas added "Memorial Day is a special day to remember and honor brave men and women who lost their lives in service to our country for our independence and freedom."
The event also offers opportunities to learn more about the Navy Memorial site which commemorates 90 years of Navy history in Long Beach with installations such as Navysphere - a 15-foot sculpture by local artist Terry Braunstein - as well as large-scale artifacts from former Long Beach Naval Complex. Honoring Our Heroes – A Sunset Ceremony complements Los Angeles Fleet Week which takes place from May 26 through May 29 at L.A Waterfront at Port of Los Angeles.
The event is sponsored by Long Beach Veterans Day Committee which aligns with Goal 1 of Veterans Strategic Plan which focuses on recognizing veterans for their strengths as valued members of our community while regularly celebrating them. This event honors fallen service members while also uplifting local Long Beach veteran community comprising more than 16000 veterans and their families.
Filed Under: Government, City
Latest on The Californer
- Perfect Ffit: the new mobile game that puts your timing and strategy skills to the test. Can you get a Perfect Fit?
- BRIAN MAY + FRIENDS: "STAR FLEET PROJECT" Special 40th Anniversary Edition
- Maze Therapeutics to Participate in the 2023 Jefferies Healthcare Conference
- Aquia Launches Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud Security Assessment Offering, Pairing Automation With Deep Cloud Security Expertise
- Black Cat Artist-in-Residency Program Nurtures Musicians' Bellies & Souls
- UserGems Enables Companies to Generate More Revenue with Enhanced Account Tracking
- Orbex Launches New ZERO Spread Trading Account with $1 Commission per Side
- Grace Cathedral Welcomes Genre-Defining Virtuoso Vocalist Bobby McFerrin as the 2023 Artist in Residence
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Announces it is Investigating Claims Against U-Haul Holding Company and Encourages Investors with Losses to Contact the Firm
- Who is this Gavin White Recording Artist
- Alpha Gold Fund Receives Recognition Of Excellence Awards
- STARS Academy School - Arts-Integrated Education: Now Accepting Applications for Fourth Year
- Introducing the New Heard & Grace Father's Day Subscription Box Set
- Nationwide Boiler Donates Record Amount After Annual Charity Golf Tournament
- Artificial Intelligence System Predicts Consequences of Gene Modifications
- Ohio County Commission President & Founder of the Cincinnati Black Music Walk of Fame, Alicia Reece, Announces Grand Opening of New Tourism Attraction
- New York Komedians Presents an Evening of Laughs at Broadway
- Bosco Tech to Host Commencement Exercises on June 3
- Predibase Empowers Any Engineer to Build Their Own GPT With Support for Large Language Models; Expands Series A Funding to $28M
- The Art of the Story: An Artist's Look Back At The Events Influencing America and the World