- World Sleep Day, why do we celebrate?
- Fridge Art Fair New York City May 2023
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Historic Transformation of San Quentin State Prison
The City of Long Beach has compiled a list of resources, provided by the Department of Health and Human Services, in consultation with people who are trained in trauma-informed care. Exposure to violent news can cause a trauma response, and the viewing of such violent content can even lead to post-traumatic stress disorder.
Do a mental health check-in
Please take a moment to check in with yourself before deciding whether to view this content. Think about your own ability to absorb such images, as well as what might be happening in your own life, or in your personal history, and how viewing such content might affect your mental health. There is no wrong answer to the question of whether to watch the video. If you do choose to watch the video, or are exposed to it, check in with your mind and body afterward, and seek help if you are struggling.
More on The Californer
- San Jose: : San José's Chief Building Official Chu Chang Honored as California Building Official of the Year
- Glancy Prongay & Murray LLP, a Leading Securities Fraud Law Firm, Announces Investigation of Array Technologies, Inc. (ARRY) on Behalf of Investors
- Sip Social Co. Partners With Apé Canada For Supply Of Piaggio Apé's
- California Woman Battling Alopecia Launches Online Wig, Hair Accessories Store
- Orange County Business Journal Ranks Snell & Wilmer in the Top 10 Largest Law Firms in Orange County
Talking to your children
Between social media and smart phones, many children may watch the Tyre Nichols' video or be otherwise exposed to it. It is important to check in with the children in your life about what they have heard and seen.
About Tyre Nichols' life and death
Tyre Nichols was born June 5, 1993. An avid photographer with a 4-year-old son, he grew up in Sacramento, California, skateboarding with friends and attending a youth church group that met at a local skate park. Shortly before the pandemic hit, he moved to Memphis, where he worked at FedEx, on the same shift as his stepfather. Every evening, on their 7 p.m. break, they had dinner. He was 29 years old when, on Jan. 10, he died as a result of a violent arrest on Jan. 7.
The five former police officers involved in the beating have been charged with murder, and the City of Long Beach unequivocally condemns this act. The City urges everyone to process their feelings about Tyre Nichols' death in ways that are not violent or self-destructive.
More on The Californer
- Medicare Advantage Agent Commissions Increase For 2023
- UCLA/Luskin Orthopaedic Institute for Children to Host Professional Conference and Family Forum for National Cerebral Palsy Awareness Day on March 25, 2023
- Back in Action Wraps Production Despite Alleged On-Set Drama Involving Jamie Foxx
- City of Long Beach Recognizes Tsunami Awareness Week March 27 through 31
- Long Beach Airport Director Cynthia Guidry Honored by Conference of Minority Transportation Officials
Here are some places you can find immediate help:
- Long Beach Mental Health Matters
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- The Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- The National Alliance on Mental Illness
- SAMSHSA's National Helpline
- Crisis Text Line
For resources specific to Black wellness:
Helping Children and Adolescents Cope with Traumatic Events
Filed Under: Government, City
Latest on The Californer
- Critical Runway Lighting Upgrades Key to Electrical Improvements Planned at Long Beach Airport
- Southeast Ventura County YMCA National Day of Prayer Breakfast Seeks Sponsors
- RE/MAX Signature Earns Top Regional Award
- Prime Healthcare Celebrates Patient Safety Excellence Recognition from Healthgrades
- Long Beach to Offer Free Youth Recreation Program in Local Parks During School Spring Break April 10-14
- Sobreo Launches California Cocktails Campaign to Elevate Los Angeles Bar Menus with Health-Conscious & Inclusive Drinking Options
- The Mogharebi Group Opens Offices in Las Vegas and Albuquerque
- David Goran answers when to self insure
- Long Beach: Community Invited to Learn About and Provide Input on Local Priorities for Federal Grant Funding
- Introducing Beauty Meditation - A Mobile App for Skin Treatment and Anti-Aging through Stress Relief
- Wohler releases out-of-band configuration tools for Riedel 2110 SFP's
- Wrap up Women's History Month with the tropical sounds of Jessica Medina's "Morir Soñando"
- Keysight Introduces Battery Emulation and Profiling Solution for IoT Devices
- Transtector Releases Outdoor, 10 GbE, PoE++ Data Surge Protector
- Levinger Regens Announces New Initiative to Improve Hydrogen Carbon Intensity
- Eve Wellness, a SF Breast Ultrasound Screening Clinic supports the recent FDA updates to the guidelines to inform women about breast density
- Expert tip: Private Jet Engine Maintenance Program - Pros and Cons for Preowned Jet Buyers
- Gaming and entertainment company Spinrack Corporation, appoints Jesse Norton as Chief Marketing Officer
- IGT Unveils New Class II Games and Next-Generation Innovations at 2023 Indian Gaming Tradeshow & Convention
- Vivani Medical Announces Public Filing of Registration Statement for the Proposed Initial Public Offering of Cortigent, Inc., a Subsidiary Advancing the Business of its Neuromodulation Division