Governor will continue his tour throughout the week with stops in the Inland Empire, Los Angeles County, Central Valley and the Bay Area
Tour comes on the heels of Governor's proposed budget featuring more than $1 billion to fight homelessness, and order accelerating state action
GRASS VALLEY – Governor Gavin Newsom kicked off a weeklong homelessness tour in Grass Valley today to highlight the state's comprehensive response to the homelessness crisis, meet with individuals experiencing homelessness and hear from the providers on the ground who work to house and assist these individuals daily.
The Governor visited two homeless service providers and shelters in Grass Valley. He toured the SPIRIT Peer Empowerment Center, which is a day-use home center that offers space for individuals experiencing homelessness to access mental health services and take self-help classes. He also visited Nevada County's Homeless Outreach and Medical Engagement (HOME) project, which provides physical health assistance as well as low-barrier housing and services for pets.
"Homelessness isn't just a concern in our cities – it's a suburban issue and a rural issue, too. No Californian can say that homelessness is someone else's problem," said Governor Newsom. "Every corner of our state has too many people living on the streets. And the crisis puts stress on public resources, from emergency rooms to jails to public works departments. It takes an unprecedented level of partnership between local, state, and federal government."
More on The Californer
- Make Money on YouTube Without Making A Video
- Lightstone Solutions Announces 2020-2021 On-Site Tribal Gaming Commission Training Series
- (CVSI) Alert: Johnson Fistel Announces Shareholder Class Action Against CV Sciences Survives Motion to Dismiss; Should Management be Held Accountable for Investors Losses?
- Market-Connections Resume Service is launching extended customer service through February 29
- Mystic Ink Publishing Announces The release Of The "n0thing" Audiobook
The Governor was joined by Assemblymember Megan Dahle (R-Bieber), Grass Valley Mayor Lisa Swarthout, and county and city service providers. The HOME project has engaged 139 people since it was launched last year. Nevada County stands to receive $1 million from the $650 million in emergency aid made available through the state budget last year.
Governor Newsom meeting with individuals experiencing homelessness in Grass Valley
The Governor began the year by signing an executive order as part of a comprehensive state response to homelessness, including the creation of the California Access to Housing and Services Fund, expediting the availability of state land assets, and standing up a state crisis response team. The Governor's action focuses on prevention and early intervention, moving people off the streets and providing them services, and creating new temporary housing to effectively reduce street homelessness.
In his State Budget proposal released Friday, the Governor formally announced more than $1 billion in homeless response funding, including $750 million for this new Access to Housing and Services Fund, and a major new investment to reform Medi-Cal so that health providers transform health care to deliver integrated physical and behavioral health.
Last year, the Governor signed 13 bills into law to help confront the homelessness crisis and others to fuel new housing development. In September, the Governor called on the Trump administration to increase federal investments in housing options for people experiencing homelessness and requested 50,000 additional Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs) and Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) vouchers. In July, Governor Newsom announced regional leaders and statewide experts who will advise his Administration on solutions to address the state's homelessness epidemic.
More on The Californer
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Policy Changes to Increase Usage of Substance Use Treatment Beds
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Accepts Win-Win Playoff Challenge from Mayor Eric Genrich of Green Bay
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring Lunar New Year 1.24.20
- Why Did My Car Insurance Go Up?
- Megha Dontha Narrates Audiobook Version of Best-Selling Startup Book 'The 60 Minute Startup'
Governor Newsom has also released the full $650 million in State Emergency Homeless Aid and issued a challenge for cities and counties to partner with the state on immediate impact solutions to tackle homelessness.
The Governor will continue his tour throughout the week with stops in the Inland Empire, Los Angeles County, Central Valley and the Bay Area.
Latest on The Californer
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 1.23.20
- Signature Tracks and Downtown Music Publishing Announce Strategic Partnership for Scoring Film, Television, And Advertising
- Local Travel Professional Becomes Cunard Voyage Expert by Earning Top Rank in Cunard Academy
- Interactive Touchscreen Solutions, Inc. Takes Ward Over Security Integrations with Direct 'Access' Visitor Management Solutions
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring Ed Roberts Day 1.23.20
- California: Governor Newsom and Senate President Pro Tempore Atkins Join Volunteers for San Diego's Point-In-Time Homeless Count
- Nutrient Technologies, Inc. Expanding Fertilizer Research
- Mayor London Breed Celebrates Opening of San Francisco's First Housing Program for Transgender Adults
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation Funds 6 New Research Grants In 2020
- How Entrepreneurs Can Run A "Lifestyle Business" Writing One Email A Day
- AutoQuotes Appoints New Chief Product Officer
- Limelight Health Wins 2020 BIG Innovation Award
- TurboTax Starts the New Decade by Empowering Latino Tax Filers Through Integrated Marketing Campaign
- Two join the Plymouth, MA-based Hart Speech Foundation Board of Directors
- The Legacy of Jack LaLanne, The Godfather of Fitness, Introduced to a New Generation
- Family of Man Killed in Conception Boat Fire Tragedy Files in the CONCEPTION Limitation Action
- Help with Sleep Apnea Disorder & Sleep Apnea Treatment- San Ramon Dental Excellence
- Maxeler Technologies Licenses Healthcare Technologies
- New Ascorbate Oxidase from Molecular Depot
- New Human Myoglobin Antibody and Antigen from Molecular Depot