Governor will continue his tour throughout the week with stops in the Inland Empire, Los Angeles County, Central Valley and the Bay Area
Tour comes on the heels of Governor's proposed budget featuring more than $1 billion to fight homelessness, and order accelerating state action
GRASS VALLEY – Governor Gavin Newsom kicked off a weeklong homelessness tour in Grass Valley today to highlight the state's comprehensive response to the homelessness crisis, meet with individuals experiencing homelessness and hear from the providers on the ground who work to house and assist these individuals daily.
The Governor visited two homeless service providers and shelters in Grass Valley. He toured the SPIRIT Peer Empowerment Center, which is a day-use home center that offers space for individuals experiencing homelessness to access mental health services and take self-help classes. He also visited Nevada County's Homeless Outreach and Medical Engagement (HOME) project, which provides physical health assistance as well as low-barrier housing and services for pets.
"Homelessness isn't just a concern in our cities – it's a suburban issue and a rural issue, too. No Californian can say that homelessness is someone else's problem," said Governor Newsom. "Every corner of our state has too many people living on the streets. And the crisis puts stress on public resources, from emergency rooms to jails to public works departments. It takes an unprecedented level of partnership between local, state, and federal government."
More on The Californer
- MacFour Releases Neyo Cover of "Because of You"
- OKTV, A Valiant Eagle Inc. (OTC:PSRU) Subsidiary, Seeks Television Content
- Mongol Films partners with Bayview Entertainment for U.S. Distribution
- Providence Film Group a Valiant Eagle Inc. (OTC:PSRU) Subsidiary, Announces Development of New S
- Haitian film producer turns to Indiegogo to fuel groundbreaking film project amid COVID-19 pandemic
The Governor was joined by Assemblymember Megan Dahle (R-Bieber), Grass Valley Mayor Lisa Swarthout, and county and city service providers. The HOME project has engaged 139 people since it was launched last year. Nevada County stands to receive $1 million from the $650 million in emergency aid made available through the state budget last year.
Governor Newsom meeting with individuals experiencing homelessness in Grass Valley
The Governor began the year by signing an executive order as part of a comprehensive state response to homelessness, including the creation of the California Access to Housing and Services Fund, expediting the availability of state land assets, and standing up a state crisis response team. The Governor's action focuses on prevention and early intervention, moving people off the streets and providing them services, and creating new temporary housing to effectively reduce street homelessness.
In his State Budget proposal released Friday, the Governor formally announced more than $1 billion in homeless response funding, including $750 million for this new Access to Housing and Services Fund, and a major new investment to reform Medi-Cal so that health providers transform health care to deliver integrated physical and behavioral health.
Last year, the Governor signed 13 bills into law to help confront the homelessness crisis and others to fuel new housing development. In September, the Governor called on the Trump administration to increase federal investments in housing options for people experiencing homelessness and requested 50,000 additional Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs) and Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) vouchers. In July, Governor Newsom announced regional leaders and statewide experts who will advise his Administration on solutions to address the state's homelessness epidemic.
More on The Californer
- The Top Destination for Meal Delivery, Premade Meals and Top Recipes
- Braeden Lichti: The Complicated World of Biotech Investments in the Era of COVID-19
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring Memorial Day Following Visit to Yountville Veterans Home to Highlight State Efforts to Protect Veterans from COVID-19
- Introducing the New Service Asklepios Health
- San Diego, CA REALTOR®, Anthony "Tony" Uniewski Earns e-PRO® Certification
Governor Newsom has also released the full $650 million in State Emergency Homeless Aid and issued a challenge for cities and counties to partner with the state on immediate impact solutions to tackle homelessness.
The Governor will continue his tour throughout the week with stops in the Inland Empire, Los Angeles County, Central Valley and the Bay Area.
Latest on The Californer
- Thermal Tech Inc. Becomes Newest Representative of Nationwide Boiler Inc
- I-Deal Homes Real Estate Appoints Ellazar Inc as Agency of Record
- Critical Illness Insurance Association Launches First Facebook Page
- Odd Perspective & Resort Paraiso Now Available on DVD from Bayview Entertainment
- WEEDCon Partners With EventHi To Hold World's First Online Cannabis Competition
- Know about the Business Class and Booking Process in Copa Airlines
- Acnovate offers free access to its Qiwk® suite of PLM accelerators for users of PTC® Windchill®
- ViridisChem, Inc Offers FREE subscription to its flagship product for Researchers Working From Home
- How the Democrats Used the Chinese K4X Virus Against Donald Trump, Part 3 of 4
- How the Democrats, the Mass Media, and China Colluded to Destroy Donald, Part 2 of 4
- San Jose: FLASH REPORT #105 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
- Learning How to Shift Your Thinking is the Best Way to Protect Your Mental Health During This Pandemic
- FORA Auto Temperature Measurement Station Provides Protection During COVID-19
- San Jose: : The Public Can Help Name Happy Hollow's Newest Addition – A Female Lemur Pup
- 911 Restoration is Set to Open Multiple National Branches
- Restech is proud to announce the launch of PepsinCheck, a PEPTEST product branded for the U.S. consumer market
- For the first time ever, an endangered leatherback sea turtle is being tracked after nesting on the Gulf Coast of Florida
- CLARA analytics Raises $25M in Series B Funding to Transform Commercial Insurance with AI
- CD38 Activity Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
- Amazing New Kids' Show Born of COVID - Full of Laughter and Surprising Depth