- Queer Wave Coffee Seeks Retail Cafe Space
- Free Future Legal Eagles Flight School National Pre-Law Summit for Black Youth and Parents Launches This Week
- BetterUp, The Global Leader in Coaching and Mental Fitness, Opens European Offices and Reaches $100M ARR
For immediate release
May 8, 2020
Contact: Diana Tang, Chief of Staff, Mayor Robert Garcia, 562-570-7799
MAYOR ROBERT GARCIA ANNOUNCES HARBOR COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS
Today, Mayor Robert Garcia announced nominations for the Harbor Commission: Bobby Olvera, Jr. and Sharon Weissman. The Mayor's nominations will appear before the Personnel and Civil Service Committee on Monday, May 11, 2020.
"I am proud to nominate two outstanding Long Beach leaders to our Harbor Commission," says Mayor Robert Garcia. "Both Bobby and Sharon love Long Beach. They both have extensive experience in transportation and logistics and are well respected in our community."
The Mayor's nominees are as follows:
Bobby Olvera, Jr., Harbor Commission
"We applaud Mayor Garcia's appointment of Bobby Olvera, Jr. to the Board of Harbor Commissioners overseeing the Port of Long Beach, one of our nation's major gateways for cargo throughput. On behalf of the 14,000 full- and part-time dock workers, which include Longshoremen, Marine Clerks, and Foremen, we are confident that Bobby, a longtime resident and an experienced leader in labor relations will be a perfect fit for the Port of Long Beach," said Ramon Ponce de Leon, Local 13 President; Mike Podue, Local 63 President; and Daniel G. Miranda, 94 President in a joint statement.
More on The Californer
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 7.30.21
- Waterside Productions Announces Dr. Stan S. Katz's New Book "The Art of Diplomacy"
- New Line Cinema's "Conjuring" Universe Surpasses $2 Billion at the Global Box Office
- United Swiss Societies of Northern California, Inc Announces Swiss National Day - Online Auction - New Website Launch
- California: Governor Newsom Signs Emergency Proclamation to Expedite Clean Energy Projects and Relieve Demand on the Electrical Grid During Extreme Weather Events This Summer as Climate Crisis Threatens Western States
Robert (Bobby) Olvera, Jr. is the International Vice-President (Mainland) of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU). Bobby began his 30-year history with the ILWU in 1989 as a third-generation longshoreman and has held several leadership roles within the organization during this time. His career as a Local 13 officer included terms as a Chief Dispatcher, Business Agent, three terms as Local 13's Vice-President, and three terms as Local 13's President. In 1991 Bobby took a leave of absence from the industry and enlisted in the United States Marines. Outside of his career at Local 13 and the military, Bobby served on the Board of Directors for the Miguel Contreras Advocacy Foundation (since 2011), a non-profit organization promoting social and labor justice and on an Advisory Board for the United Way of Greater Los Angeles, Labor Community Services since 2010. He is also served the City of Long Beach as an Economic Development Commissioner. He continues to involve himself in social, political, and union issues.
Sharon Weissman, Harbor Commission
"I don't think there's a better choice for the Harbor Commission than Sharon. She has a long record of community service in our city having served on a number of community boards, including as the current President of the Long Beach Public Library Foundation. Sharon is smart, understands transportation policy, is an excellent leader and has been a valuable advisor to our international Sister City programs," says Carmen O. Perez, former Long Beach Harbor Commissioner.
More on The Californer
- Following Governor Newsom's First-in-the-Nation Vaccination Measures, California Employers Follow Suit
- Influencers Triple Their Price With The Influencer Rate Calculator Created By Tyler Chanel
- San Jose: Request for Proposals: Equity Assessment, Policy, Planning, and Coaching
- Local Orange County Business, Paper Mart Celebrates 100 Years Throughout August!
- Terra & Self Sets New Standards For Sustainability With Beauty And Self-care Collection
Sharon Weissman has been involved in public service within Long Beach for 45 years. She recently announced her retirement, effective June 30; but, currently serves as Senior Advisor and Transportation Deputy to Mayor Robert Garcia. In this role, Sharon has worked on policy issues involving state transportation policy, regional transportation planning, goods movement, rail lines, improvements to the I-710 Freeway and sustainability. Sharon has also served as Chief of Staff to California State Senator Jenny Oropeza and currently volunteers on a number of nonprofit boards in Long Beach. She is currently the President of the Long Beach Public Library Foundation.
After the nominations are heard by the Personnel and Civil Service Committee, they will be referred to the full council for consideration at its next scheduled meeting. There is one current vacancy on the Harbor Commission, and a second seat on the Commission will be open on July 1.
Latest on The Californer
- 14th August 2021 has been declared as the "International day of Traditional Sports and Games"
- Neighborhood Healthcare Celebrates Grand Opening of New Riverside Campus Developed in Partnership With Turner Impact Capital, Expanding Access to High-quality Healthcare
- PowerVision Prepares to Release S1 to Global Market This August
- RCFoamCutter Announcing the Addition of a Mini CNC Hot Wire Foam Cutter for Cutting Wings
- 2020 Medicare Supplement Insurance Policyholders Hold Steady at 14.5 Million
- TRENDFOCUS Publishes Preliminary CQ2 2021 HDD Shipment Summary Report
- Con Funk Shun Love Train to Funk Helps Shake Off the Delta Variant Blues @Bal Theatre-8-28-21
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed on the Passing of Janice Mirikitani
- GeoOptics Orbiting Observatory To Monitor The Changing Earth
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Signs Balanced Budget to Support Economic Recovery and Meet City's Top Challenges
- Better Therapeutics and Colorado Prevention Center Clinical Research Launch Real-World Evidence Study of Prescription Digital Therapeutic for Type 2 Diabetes
- Oxnard College Reopens Child Development Center to the Community
- Can A Tax Preparer Help Your Business Succeed?
- Liquid CORE® Gum Company, Inspired by Iconic Big Waves at Nazaré, Announces Plans to Develop European Factory and HQ in Portugal
- Propelled by Continued Surge of Growth, ERI Extends Hiring Efforts in Fresno
- New Nationwide Boiler Sales, Storage, & Maintenance Facility in Texas
- Psychologist Dr. Amy Stark Releases Two Guided Meditations
- NEW Innovative Mobility Device: Zeen® Disrupts Walker/Wheelchair Industries
- #1 Recruiting Training Firm, The Kelley Group, Offers Complimentary Recruiting Webinar Series
- Filmmaker Kevin Stirling's New Doc "HUBBLE SPACE WONDERS" To Screen Coast-Coast at Woods Hole, Oregon Doc Film Fests; Wins Top REMI at Worldfest-HOU