For immediate release
May 8, 2020
Contact: Diana Tang, Chief of Staff, Mayor Robert Garcia, 562-570-7799
MAYOR ROBERT GARCIA ANNOUNCES HARBOR COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS
Today, Mayor Robert Garcia announced nominations for the Harbor Commission: Bobby Olvera, Jr. and Sharon Weissman. The Mayor's nominations will appear before the Personnel and Civil Service Committee on Monday, May 11, 2020.
"I am proud to nominate two outstanding Long Beach leaders to our Harbor Commission," says Mayor Robert Garcia. "Both Bobby and Sharon love Long Beach. They both have extensive experience in transportation and logistics and are well respected in our community."
The Mayor's nominees are as follows:
Bobby Olvera, Jr., Harbor Commission
"We applaud Mayor Garcia's appointment of Bobby Olvera, Jr. to the Board of Harbor Commissioners overseeing the Port of Long Beach, one of our nation's major gateways for cargo throughput. On behalf of the 14,000 full- and part-time dock workers, which include Longshoremen, Marine Clerks, and Foremen, we are confident that Bobby, a longtime resident and an experienced leader in labor relations will be a perfect fit for the Port of Long Beach," said Ramon Ponce de Leon, Local 13 President; Mike Podue, Local 63 President; and Daniel G. Miranda, 94 President in a joint statement.
More on The Californer
- California: Ahead of National Puppy Mill Awareness Day, Governor Newsom Signs Legislation Protecting Animal Welfare
- California: Governor Newsom Statement on the Passing of Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Global Bhagavad Gita Convention 2020 - A prefect platform to harness the inner strength
- Succulent Market Announces the Release of New Halloween Products
- McKenzie Mortuary Presents "Purchase with a Purpose" A Benefit to Support Families of Those impacted by Covid-19
Robert (Bobby) Olvera, Jr. is the International Vice-President (Mainland) of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU). Bobby began his 30-year history with the ILWU in 1989 as a third-generation longshoreman and has held several leadership roles within the organization during this time. His career as a Local 13 officer included terms as a Chief Dispatcher, Business Agent, three terms as Local 13's Vice-President, and three terms as Local 13's President. In 1991 Bobby took a leave of absence from the industry and enlisted in the United States Marines. Outside of his career at Local 13 and the military, Bobby served on the Board of Directors for the Miguel Contreras Advocacy Foundation (since 2011), a non-profit organization promoting social and labor justice and on an Advisory Board for the United Way of Greater Los Angeles, Labor Community Services since 2010. He is also served the City of Long Beach as an Economic Development Commissioner. He continues to involve himself in social, political, and union issues.
Sharon Weissman, Harbor Commission
"I don't think there's a better choice for the Harbor Commission than Sharon. She has a long record of community service in our city having served on a number of community boards, including as the current President of the Long Beach Public Library Foundation. Sharon is smart, understands transportation policy, is an excellent leader and has been a valuable advisor to our international Sister City programs," says Carmen O. Perez, former Long Beach Harbor Commissioner.
More on The Californer
- Timothy "Tee" Smith Will No Longer Host "Get Mental Radio", Producer Cites 'Bright Future Ahead'
- Arena Pharmaceuticals Reports Inducement Grants Under Nasdaq Listing Rule 5635(c)(4)
- El gobernador Newsom firma un proyecto de ley que le devuelve el dinero a los bolsillos de más trabajadores de California y sus familias
- Governor Newsom Signs Bill Putting Money Back into the Pockets of More California Workers and their Families
- Zwolinski, Jenkins Launch Skillsgapp To Reach GenZ With Skills-Based Gaming App Training
Sharon Weissman has been involved in public service within Long Beach for 45 years. She recently announced her retirement, effective June 30; but, currently serves as Senior Advisor and Transportation Deputy to Mayor Robert Garcia. In this role, Sharon has worked on policy issues involving state transportation policy, regional transportation planning, goods movement, rail lines, improvements to the I-710 Freeway and sustainability. Sharon has also served as Chief of Staff to California State Senator Jenny Oropeza and currently volunteers on a number of nonprofit boards in Long Beach. She is currently the President of the Long Beach Public Library Foundation.
After the nominations are heard by the Personnel and Civil Service Committee, they will be referred to the full council for consideration at its next scheduled meeting. There is one current vacancy on the Harbor Commission, and a second seat on the Commission will be open on July 1.
Latest on The Californer
- Why Maxine Waters is Afraid to Debate Joe Collins
- SELA Collaborative Partners with Local Nonprofits to Disburse $1.6 Million in Grant Funding to Assist Undocumented Community Impacted by COVID-19
- Governor Newsom Signs Bill Extending Job-Protected Family Leave to Nearly 6 Million Californians
- Greenshine New Energy Develops the Most Authoritative, Unbiased Guide to Solar Lighting
- Premier Workspaces Steps in to Manage Newport Beach Coworking Space
- Wild Weekend Planned for Int'l Wild Bunch Film Fest in Willcox Arizona, Oct 2/4
- Bettermeant Health and Sling Health Partner to Bring Modernized Clinical Care Operations to Military and Government Health Systems to Fight Health-Team Burnout
- ViridisChem expands its market reach with key distribution partnership in South Korea
- Governor Newsom Signs Legislation to Protect California's Workforce Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic
- AUA announces Master of Public Health Collaboration with FIU Stempel College to allow students to pursue both medical and public health degrees
- AcadianKitchens.com Launches With Free Shipping on the Best Cajun Food in the Country
- SportLogic, Inc. Announces Launch of New Website at www.SportLogicInc.com
- Cheap Car Insurance: Is it Too Good to Be True?
- Mama Cleo Delivers "It Ain't Easy" for "Corona Diaries" Compilation at Big Fuss Records
- Emerald Escapes Receives the 2020 Best of Spring Texas Award
- DeskProto® releases free CAM software for Linux
- Professional Interactive Webinar Series: Implementing the Future of Transportation
- Evolve IP Integrates Business Messaging Into Microsoft Teams; Enhances Microsoft's Direct Routing Solution
- Attivo Networks to Host Webinar on Active Defense Capabilities of MITRE Shield
- BeBop Sensors & Talon Simulations Awarded Epic MegaGrant to develop a haptic glove-driven, full-motion VR trainer built for the Unreal Engine