March 24, 2020
Rachel Davis, Office of Mayor Sam Liccardo, 408.712.9149, email@example.com
SAN JOSE, Calif. - San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo urged State of California officials to eliminate existing barriers at the state, regional and local levels to rapidly build emergency housing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Homeless encampments have never been safe places for human habitation, but the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic makes them—and our crowded shelters— far more perilous for our unhoused residents. Rapid construction of emergency housing—leveraging local and state dollars, with the benefit of FEMA reimbursement for a substantial share of the cost—becomes all the more imperative amid this crisis. The State must act quickly to remove all barriers to enable cities to scale quickly to meet their capacity needs for homeless residents."
As Chair of the California Big City Mayors coalition, Mayor Liccardo expressed gratitude for the resources and regulatory flexibility, announced by the Governor last week, including $150 million in immediate aid to local jurisdictions for emergency housing and more than 1,300 trailers sent across the state. The Big City Mayors submitted a set of priorities to the Governor and his team that included a request for waivers of permitting and regulatory requirements to expedited the construction of emergency housing. The Big City Mayors is a coalition of Mayors across California's 13 largest cities, namely Los Angeles, San Diego, San José, San Francisco, Fresno, Sacramento, Long Beach, Oakland, Bakersfield, Anaheim, Riverside, Santa Ana, and Stockton.
More on The Californer
- Official Poster & Trailer for Alex Visani's STOMACH
- How do I fix Gmail Temporary bad Error 500
- Overview on what is Alaska airlines Flight Change Policy-Isupportnumber
- Overview on what is Alaska airlines Flight Change Policy
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Expand Telehealth Services
Liccardo noted, "I'm joined by many local leaders and millions of Californians in expressing appreciation for Governor Newsom's assertive actions and the legislature's support, which will save lives. Nonetheless, we all agree we have much more to do in the days and weeks ahead, and we look forward to doing so in partnership with the Governor. "
Mayor Liccardo filed a memo, to be heard at City Council today, advocating State officials do the following for the duration of the State of Emergency:
- Waive the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), State permitting rules, and State-building codes for emergency housing construction—defined as buildings with separate units or rooms for each resident, to ensure physical separation in compliance with County Public Health mandates Mandate state-chartered or authorized agencies (e.g., CalTrans, utility districts, and counties) to immediately identify and make available specific sites of public land for temporary or permanent emergency housing construction
Details of the memo can be found here.
More on The Californer
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Protect Consumers from Price Gouging
- San Jose: FLASH REPORT #44 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
- Michael S.Rodriguez's Last America Horror Show II gets a New Poster
- Chance Trahan Calls Donald Trump a Socialist Coward
- DWS Star Joins iPOP Alum Matt Cornett on High School Musical Series
Latest on The Californer
- TOMORROW: Governor Newsom to Provide Update on State's Emergency Actions to Protect Homeless Californians and Public from COVID-19
- San Jose: FLASH REPORT #42 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 4.2.20
- California: Governor Newsom Statement on Death of Santa Rosa Police Detective
- Celiane The Voice Transcends Dimensions With Her Otherwordly Artistry!
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order Protecting Homes, Small Businesses from Water Shutoffs
- California: Governor Newsom Announces New Help for Small Businesses & Workers Displaced by COVID-19
- Dutch Hip-Hop Artist Odillia Releases Debut US Single "End of the World" Featuring Lil' Keed
- "Damned Deceptions" - If a Religious Belief Is Wrong, Is That Really a Problem?
- Eat Locally - Businesses Supporting Local Restaurants
- Local Nonprofit Receives Federal Grant for CA Newborn Hearing Screening Program
- San Jose: FLASH REPORT #41 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
- TECH-GRO B-17 Boric Acid Spray now OMRI Certified
- Brushwood Media Group Is Pleased to Announce Film and TV Star, "Kim Aria Peterson"
- Franchise Times Welcomes Snell & Wilmer Partner Elizabeth Weldon Into the Legal Eagle Hall of Fame
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed and Board President Norman Yee Convene COVID-19 Economic Recovery Task Force
- Slim LED Light Box in 10mm,16mm and 20mm with 5 Years Warranty and Custom Sizes
- Class Claims LLC Announces Practice to Assist Businesses with Government Loans and Grants
- Find effective ways to reach Live Technician at Jetblue Airlines
- Attorney turn feng shui author shows us how to make the most of our time at home in the release of MIND BODY HOME