SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom and First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom joined the California Museum to induct the 13th class of icons who embody the state's spirit of innovation and achievement into the California Hall of Fame Tuesday evening in Sacramento.
"California is a state not just of dreamers, but of doers who pride themselves on being on the leading edge," said Governor Newsom. "That entrepreneurial spirit and the incredible diversity, daring and perseverance of our beloved state is demonstrated in the lives and the journeys of those honored tonight."
"These inductees exemplify the beautiful diversity of our state and we are honored to induct them into the California Hall of Fame," said First Partner Siebel Newsom.
The inductees of the California Hall of Fame 13th class are: Writer, Poet, Performer and Teacher Dr. Maya Angelou; Actor, Model, Singer, Songwriter, Television Personality and Author RuPaul Charles; Athlete and Olympic Medalist Brandi Chastain; Astrophysicist Dr. France A. Córdova; Skateboarder, Entrepreneur and Philanthropist Tony Hawk; Author and Activist Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston; Civil Rights Leader Reverend James M. Lawson, Jr.; Actor and Comedian George Lopez; Chef, Restaurateur and Entrepreneur Wolfgang Puck; and Winemaker and Vintner Helen M. Turley.
More on The Californer
- ITSMA Announces Finalists for the 2020 Marketing Excellence Awards
- Tom Urquhart, Ph.D., joins IOTech Systems as SVP of Professional Services
- CEO Coaching International Client, StoneAge Inc., Acquires Breadware, A Leader in Industrial IOT Product Development
- A uniquely human story of a young Russian girl and her family who endured a lifetime of struggle, with the atomic bombing of Hiroshima
- Medical Apparel Company, Sway, Cures Ill-Fitting Scrubs with Fashionable, Functional Designs
2019 California Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
George Lopez receives Spirit of California medal from Governor Newsom
RuPaul Charles speaks at 2019 California Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
From left to right: Guy Johnson representing Dr. Maya Angelou; RuPaul Charles; Brandi Chastain; Fred Córdova representing Dr. France A. Córdova; Tony Hawk; Governor Newsom; First Partner Siebel Newsom; Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston; Reverend James M. Lawson, Jr.; George Lopez; Wolfgang Puck; Helen M. Turley.
Tony Hawk at 2019 California Hall of Fame Red Carpet
The California Hall of Fame was established in 2006 to honor legendary people who have made their mark on history through achievements across a variety of fields, including the arts, education, business and labor, science, sports, philanthropy and public service. California Hall of Fame inductees are selected yearly by the Governor and First Partner.
The Governor and First Partner announced the inductees in a social media video last month. This year's honorees join 122 inspirational Californians previously inducted for embodying the state's spirit of innovation.
More on The Californer
- HAT Assay Buffer 5X (Biotechnology Grade)
- HDAC Assay Buffer 5X (Biotechnology Grade)
- Black Lives Matter Via "Riot!" 1906 Atlanta Race Riots on San Francisco Black Film Fest Platform
- Stephon Clark's Mother, Se'Quette, Issues Response to Vern Piersen of the California District Attorneys Association
- Investigation after coughing on others during Corona Virus| Red Metric Law| Criminal Defense and DUI
Inductees were presented with "Spirit of California" medals by the Governor and First Partner in an official ceremony held at the California Museum. In addition, the lives and legacies of the new inductees will be featured in an all-new artifact exhibit at the California Museum opening today, Wednesday, December 11 at 10:00 a.m.
For more information on the California Hall of Fame, visit http://www.californiamuseum.org/california-hall-fame.
Photo credit: California Museum. For high resolution copies of these images, contact Danella Debel at Danella.Debel@gov.ca.gov.
Latest on The Californer
- Deadly Night Out Starts Filming In September
- Marketing Gurus Conversion Tactics & Digital Secrets
- Isaac Lidsky Discusses His Descent Into Blindness en Route to Becoming a famed Author and Father
- The death of Naya Rivera was an accidental drowning | Criminal Defense and DUI | Red Metric Law
- MonthLeaf - The Cannabis Subscription Club
- American Bar Foundation Welcomes Snell & Wilmer Partner Elizabeth M. Weldon Into the Fellows
- California: Governor Newsom Signs Tribal Compacts and Concurs with U.S. Department of the Interior Decision
- Attorney Daniel Vaswani of Red Metric Law releases video discussing Trump's use of federal agents
- Barks in the Bottoms During These Dog Days of Summer in Kansas City's West Bottoms
- Snoop Dogg Teams Up With Bumpboxx Launching the first in the celebrity collection Flare8 " Doggy Style"
- DeRonja Real Estate Welcomes Greyson Sargent
- San Jose Mayor Liccardo Statement on Caltrain Agreement
- California: Governor Newsom Statement on Loss of Nine Service Members
- New book gives best Rx for Covid-19!
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed and José Cisneros Announce Additional Fee Deferrals to Support Businesses During COVID-19
- Mona Clayton, RN, CEO of The Nurses Pub Launches Successful "Stay Covid Safe" Outreach
- Pearl A New Feature Film From Writer/Director Bobby Roth is Set For Digital Release August 11
- Carne Collective Launches Direct To Consumer All-Natural Argentinian Meat Delivery Service In Us
- The two most experienced minds in IP Ethics merge
- Dream Foundation Announces Director of Development