SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom and First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom joined the California Museum to induct the 13th class of icons who embody the state's spirit of innovation and achievement into the California Hall of Fame Tuesday evening in Sacramento.
"California is a state not just of dreamers, but of doers who pride themselves on being on the leading edge," said Governor Newsom. "That entrepreneurial spirit and the incredible diversity, daring and perseverance of our beloved state is demonstrated in the lives and the journeys of those honored tonight."
"These inductees exemplify the beautiful diversity of our state and we are honored to induct them into the California Hall of Fame," said First Partner Siebel Newsom.
The inductees of the California Hall of Fame 13th class are: Writer, Poet, Performer and Teacher Dr. Maya Angelou; Actor, Model, Singer, Songwriter, Television Personality and Author RuPaul Charles; Athlete and Olympic Medalist Brandi Chastain; Astrophysicist Dr. France A. Córdova; Skateboarder, Entrepreneur and Philanthropist Tony Hawk; Author and Activist Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston; Civil Rights Leader Reverend James M. Lawson, Jr.; Actor and Comedian George Lopez; Chef, Restaurateur and Entrepreneur Wolfgang Puck; and Winemaker and Vintner Helen M. Turley.
More on The Californer
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Accepts Win-Win Playoff Challenge from Mayor Eric Genrich of Green Bay
- California: Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring Lunar New Year 1.24.20
- Why Did My Car Insurance Go Up?
- Megha Dontha Narrates Audiobook Version of Best-Selling Startup Book 'The 60 Minute Startup'
- Fire Disaster Response Team at Guzi-West Helps Property Owners Navigate the Cleanup Process
2019 California Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
George Lopez receives Spirit of California medal from Governor Newsom
RuPaul Charles speaks at 2019 California Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
From left to right: Guy Johnson representing Dr. Maya Angelou; RuPaul Charles; Brandi Chastain; Fred Córdova representing Dr. France A. Córdova; Tony Hawk; Governor Newsom; First Partner Siebel Newsom; Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston; Reverend James M. Lawson, Jr.; George Lopez; Wolfgang Puck; Helen M. Turley.
Tony Hawk at 2019 California Hall of Fame Red Carpet
The California Hall of Fame was established in 2006 to honor legendary people who have made their mark on history through achievements across a variety of fields, including the arts, education, business and labor, science, sports, philanthropy and public service. California Hall of Fame inductees are selected yearly by the Governor and First Partner.
The Governor and First Partner announced the inductees in a social media video last month. This year's honorees join 122 inspirational Californians previously inducted for embodying the state's spirit of innovation.
More on The Californer
- BTI Completes OSHA 10 Training
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Policy Changes to Increase Usage of Substance Use Treatment Beds
- IAOP and The Rockefeller Foundation Announce Winners of 2020 Global Impact Sourcing Award
- Thought Provoking Consulting announces new hires to its 3D Digital Transformation practice
- Is "App Marketing" The New Email Marketing?
Inductees were presented with "Spirit of California" medals by the Governor and First Partner in an official ceremony held at the California Museum. In addition, the lives and legacies of the new inductees will be featured in an all-new artifact exhibit at the California Museum opening today, Wednesday, December 11 at 10:00 a.m.
For more information on the California Hall of Fame, visit http://www.californiamuseum.org/california-hall-fame.
Photo credit: California Museum. For high resolution copies of these images, contact Danella Debel at Danella.Debel@gov.ca.gov.
Latest on The Californer
- Nutrient Technologies, Inc. Expanding Fertilizer Research
- Mayor London Breed Celebrates Opening of San Francisco's First Housing Program for Transgender Adults
- The Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation Funds 6 New Research Grants In 2020
- How Entrepreneurs Can Run A "Lifestyle Business" Writing One Email A Day
- AutoQuotes Appoints New Chief Product Officer
- Limelight Health Wins 2020 BIG Innovation Award
- TurboTax Starts the New Decade by Empowering Latino Tax Filers Through Integrated Marketing Campaign
- Two join the Plymouth, MA-based Hart Speech Foundation Board of Directors
- The Legacy of Jack LaLanne, The Godfather of Fitness, Introduced to a New Generation
- Family of Man Killed in Conception Boat Fire Tragedy Files in the CONCEPTION Limitation Action
- Help with Sleep Apnea Disorder & Sleep Apnea Treatment- San Ramon Dental Excellence
- Maxeler Technologies Licenses Healthcare Technologies
- New Ascorbate Oxidase from Molecular Depot
- New Human Myoglobin Antibody and Antigen from Molecular Depot
- California: Governor Newsom Appoints Government Operations Agency, Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency, and Veterans Affairs Secretaries
- Greenlit Content Partners With Wizard World To Bring Esports To Pop Culture Events In 2020
- Satanic Child Trafficking Nightmare Distraction On Capitol Hill
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Deployment of Trailers and Medical Services Tents to Los Angeles County as Part of Accelerated State Action on Homelessness
- Announcing 2020 Race Roster of Awesome Experiences
- Pop Sensation Lv To Release Newest Single 'done Wit It'