San Jose: Don’t Let Your Thanksgiving Go Up in Flames
The Californer/10261755

~ San José Fire Department (SJFD) firefighter Ben Hammond has shared a few safety tips to help people stay safe in the kitchen this Thanksgiving. According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are more home fires on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year—and the leading cause of these fires is unattended cooking.

Hammond has provided some tips and resources to help keep people and their loved ones safe this holiday. He recommends never leaving the stove unattended while cooking, creating a kid-free zone around hot food or drinks being prepared, keeping flammable materials away from the stovetop, turning pot handles towards the back of the stove, keeping a fire extinguisher nearby, and avoiding turkey fryers. In case of a grease fire, Hammond suggests smothering it by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the stovetop. For an oven or microwave fire, he recommends turning off the heat and keeping the door closed until flames are completely out. If unable to safely extinguish a fire, he advises getting outside quickly and calling 9-1-1.

More on The Californer
The SJFD website provides more information on fire safety in the kitchen for those who wish to learn more. The department wishes everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Filed Under: Government, City

Show All News | Report Violation


Latest on The Californer