- Are Productions Missing the Full Opportunities of Social Media Marketing?
- Prospect Home Finance becomes the official sponsor of the San Diego Gulls!
- Legacy Gospel Series Project - New Previously Unreleased Recordings
SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom today swore in San Diego Assemblymember and Chair of the California Legislative Black Caucus Dr. Shirley N. Weber as California Secretary of State. Dr. Weber is the first-ever African American to serve as Secretary of State in California history.
"On the eve of Black History Month, California once again makes history in swearing in Dr. Weber as Secretary of State," said Governor Newsom. "As the state's Chief Elections Officer, Dr. Weber will continue her lifelong dedication to defending civil rights and will undertake a vital role in protecting our democratic process at a critical time."
Governor Newsom swears in Secretary of State Dr. Weber
Confirmed by the Legislature this week, Dr. Weber was nominated by Governor Newsom earlier this month to fill the Secretary of State position vacated by U.S. Senator Alex Padilla, whom he appointed following the resignation of Vice President Kamala Harris from the U.S. Senate.
More on The Californer
- Haeggquist & Eck, LLP Is Investigating Claims Against Encore Capital Group, Inc.'s Directors and Officers for Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- San Jose Community Leaders Advocate for Return to In-Person Learning
- Ventura County Workforce Development Board Seeks Public Comments On 4-Year Workforce Plan
- Majid Al Futtaim Retail Expands Tally Robot Deployment to a Dozen Carrefour Stores in the UAE
- Southern California Black Chamber of Commerce - Long Beach Area Names Sharifah Hardie President
"The fact that each citizen is a primary officeholder in a democracy is the lodestone tenet of our system of government. It is my responsibility as Secretary of State to ensure that more Californians are able to exercise that power through the electoral process, and that our elections remain secure, accessible and fair even under the most adverse conditions," said Secretary of State Dr. Weber. "Dr. King teaches us that we are at our best when we stand up in service of others and I am humbled to be able to continue to stand up for Californians as Secretary of State. I thank the Governor for his nomination, the State Senators and Assemblymembers who confirmed my appointment, and the Californians who expressed their faith in my ability to assume this critical office. I look forward to lifting up and defending our democratic values of inclusivity and participation in this new role."
First elected to the California State Assembly in 2012, Dr. Weber has been a voice of moral clarity in the Legislature, providing leadership on issues of social justice. She authored the California Act to Save Lives, landmark legislation signed by Governor Newsom in 2019 setting new, higher standards on the use of deadly force by police. Her ambitious legislative agenda has also included bills on education, civil rights, public safety, food insecurity, protections for persons with disabilities and voting rights. She previously served as President of the San Diego Board of Education and as an Africana Studies Department professor at San Diego State University for 40 years.
Latest on The Californer
- Private Placement Markets adds Credit Life & Disability Insurance to its Mortgage Loan Programs
- ServiceNow to Present at Upcoming Investor Conference
- Syxsense Announces Integration with Microsoft Office 365
- QAD Precision Achieves Veracode Verified Team Tier Status
- Launch of Trace One E-Sourcing Will Boost Retailers' Private Label Speed to Market
- Halfpricesoft.com Offers Support For ez1095 Software Filing Questions For Potential Customers
- Rising Texas Artist Tanya Nolan Lands Feature on ABC News
- Adamas Pharmaceuticals Announces Pricing of Follow-on Public Offering
- New Video Streaming Startup, Relax Scenes, Launches Indiegogo Campaign to Support Their Expansion
- BYD Offers Assistance with Federal Grant Applications
- John and Susan Ocampo Donate $25 Million for STEM at Santa Clara University
- Project Boon Recaps Wins Amidst Challenges of 2020
- Human Platelet Isolation Assay Kit
- San Jose: FLASH REPORT #149 - COVID-19 Response and Recovery
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces $500 Stimulus for Lower-Wage Workers and Families
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Announces it is Investigating Claims Against Infinity Q Capital Management LLC and Encourages Investors with Losses of $100,000 to Contact the Firm
- Get ready for Spring Break with a poem/potential song lyrics called "The New Coronavirus Blues"
- Dermatologist Fabio Gontijo wins the attention of celebrities with infallible procedures for women's beauty
- Local Barbers Refuse To Stop Taking Walk Ins In 2021. What They Did Was Inevitable
- Bronx DWI Lawyer Announces New Website