Induction ceremony will take place December 10th followed by a new exhibit opening December 11th at the California Museum in Sacramento
Governor & First Partner announce the inductees in a social media video that can be viewed here
SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom and First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom joined the California Museum in announcing the 13th class of inductees into the California Hall of Fame. The new inductees join 122 inspirational Californians previously inducted for embodying the state's spirit of innovation.
The inductees of the California Hall of Fame 13th class are:
- Dr. Maya Angelou – Writer, Poet, Performer and Teacher; RuPaul Charles – Actor, Model, Singer, Songwriter, Television Personality and Author; Brandi Chastain – Athlete and Olympic Medalist; Dr. France A. Córdova – Astrophysicist; Tony Hawk – Skateboarder, Entrepreneur and Philanthropist; Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston – Author and Activist; Reverend James M. Lawson, Jr. – Civil Rights Leader; George Lopez – Actor and Comedian; Wolfgang Puck – Chef, Restaurateur and Entrepreneur; Helen M. Turley – Winemaker and Vintner.
"Jennifer and I are pleased to induct this class of extraordinary Californians into the Hall of Fame," said Governor Gavin Newsom. "These inductees embody California's innovative spirit and they inspire us with all they've accomplished throughout their careers and lives."
"The Hall of Fame is a chance for us to make a statement about what this state stands for, and these phenomenal Californians truly represent the best of who we are and our California values," said First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom.
More on The Californer
- San Francisco: Mental Health SF Legislation Approved Unanimously by Board of Supervisors
- Aldo Dinelli, Houston's Top Celebrity Jeweler - Talks Diamonds
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Gun Buy-Back Event
- Don't neglect your overall health – advice from cosmetic surgeon Mitchell G. Cohen, MD
- Inland Products celebrates 30 years of manufacturing all-American Identification Tags
The California Hall of Fame was established in 2006 to honor legendary people who embody California's spirit and have made their mark on history through achievements across a variety of fields, including the arts, education, business and labor, science, sports, philanthropy and public service. California Hall of Fame inductees are selected yearly by the Governor and First Partner.
"As a native of this great state, being inducted into the California Hall of Fame is especially heartfelt because it comes from where my dreams were born, it comes from home," said RuPaul Charles.
"I am proud and humbled to be from, and molded by, California," said Brandi Chastain. "With its beautiful geography, talented people, ideal weather, love and passion for our state, I am grateful for all the gifts California has bestowed upon me. With these gifts, I have learned to stand tall, take risks, be strong, have a voice and change paradigms. Thank you, California, for all you have given me and others who live within your embrace."
"I am so honored to be inducted into the 13th class of the California Hall of Fame," said Tony Hawk. "California has always fostered innovation and creativity and I am thankful to be recognized as someone who has paved the way for future generations of skaters and groundbreakers."
"There is no other place in the world I'd rather be from than the great state of California," said George Lopez.
Inductees and family members of posthumous inductees will be presented with "Spirit of California" medals by the Governor and First Partner in an official ceremony held at the California Museum Tuesday, Dec. 10 at 7:00 p.m. In addition, the lives and legacies of the new inductees will be featured in an all-new artifact exhibit at the California Museum opening at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 11.
"We're thrilled to celebrate this new class with Governor Newsom and the First Partner," said California Museum Board of Trustees Chair Richard S. Costigan III. "We're also grateful to lead sponsor Visit California. With their generous support, the Museum's programming highlighting the state's diverse history, arts and culture will inspire more than 120,000 visitors to make their own mark on history in 2020."
More on The Californer
- Pierpoint Introduces Recruitment Resource Outsourcing (RRO) To Accelerate Recruitment Timeline
- Web Series "I Hear You" Screens In Front of A Celebrity Filled Audience
- Santia Deck Makes History; Signs Record Breaking Deal With Highly-Anticipated WFLA
- Saturn Vehicle Warranty Alternatives Available from autopom!
- Dbvisit Announces Release of Dbvisit Standby Snapshot
"For centuries, people have looked west to California to make their dreams come true, striving to innovate and rise above the norm. This year's class of inductees continues that grand tradition, each in their own exceptional way," said Caroline Beteta, Visit California President and CEO. "Their great works build on California's storied history, paving the way for future generations to blaze their own trail, keeping the Golden State's pioneering spirit alive and thriving."
Members of the public are invited to watch red carpet arrivals for the 13th Annual California Hall of Fame Tuesday, Dec. 10, in a public viewing area on 10th Street between P and O Streets starting at 4:00 p.m. Following red carpet arrivals, the 13th Annual California Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be broadcast live at 7:00 p.m. at https://www.californiamuseum.org/webcasts.
To date, the 13th Annual California Hall of Fame's lead sponsor is Visit California. For details and a downloadable press kit, visit https://www.californiamuseum.org/press-kits/13-hof.
ABOUT CALIFORNIA MUSEUM
The California Museum educates visitors on California's diverse history, arts, culture and unique influence on the world. Through interactive exhibits and engaging programs, the Museum inspires visitors to make their mark on history. Learn more at https://www.californiamuseum.org.
Office of Governor Gavin Newsom
Brenna Hamilton, Communications & Marketing Director
Latest on The Californer
- NASA Awards PADT, Arizona State University and Kennesaw State University a $755,000 Phase II STTR Research Grant
- Gatski Commercial Names David Bauman managing director of property management
- Lemon Perfect Named "Best New Product" at 2019 BevNET Awards
- San Francisco: Mayor London Breed Announces Completion of Octavia 'Open Street' Project
- MC Companies Announced As 2020 Top Company To Work Multifamily
- Kids Make Stuffed Animals for Toy Drive
- Demarest Campbell's Book Baby Snakes Wins The 2019 Pinnacle Achievement Award for Literary Fiction
- New Christmas Single And After NAMM JAMM Concert from Smooth Jazz Label Innervision Records
- Landmark Combination Non-Surgical Penile Elongation Protocol Study Receives Approval
- 1099 Form Corrections Made Easy With The Latest 2019 ez1099 Software From Halfpricesoft.com
- How Do I Get Health Insurance Quotes?
- DuraFast Label Company Preparing for Demand for Epson's New CW-C6500 8-inch Color Label Printers
- Attivo Networks® Takes Home Four Platinum Category Wins in 2019 'ASTORS' Homeland Awards
- Thiel College to host cyclists for Bike MS: Escape to the Lake 2020 fundraising event
- Bow Wow Labs, Inc. Bully Buddy Starter Pack Launches on Amazon!
- Regional Mexican singer William Garza to serenade our Lady of Guadalupe in DTLA
- Los Angeles-Based Folk/Pop Singer Drops Emotional Debut Single
- The Story of the LUCKY GOLD COIN in the Cake
- Portola Pharmaceuticals Presents New Interim Data from Ongoing Phase 2a Study of its Oral SYK/JAK Inhibitor Cerdulatinib in Heavily Pre-Treated T-Cell Malignancies
- The Quid Pro Quad in a Marital Affair Gone Bad