Induction ceremony will take place December 10th followed by a new exhibit opening December 11th at the California Museum in Sacramento
Governor & First Partner announce the inductees in a social media video that can be viewed here
SACRAMENTO – Governor Gavin Newsom and First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom joined the California Museum in announcing the 13th class of inductees into the California Hall of Fame. The new inductees join 122 inspirational Californians previously inducted for embodying the state's spirit of innovation.
The inductees of the California Hall of Fame 13th class are:
- Dr. Maya Angelou – Writer, Poet, Performer and Teacher; RuPaul Charles – Actor, Model, Singer, Songwriter, Television Personality and Author; Brandi Chastain – Athlete and Olympic Medalist; Dr. France A. Córdova – Astrophysicist; Tony Hawk – Skateboarder, Entrepreneur and Philanthropist; Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston – Author and Activist; Reverend James M. Lawson, Jr. – Civil Rights Leader; George Lopez – Actor and Comedian; Wolfgang Puck – Chef, Restaurateur and Entrepreneur; Helen M. Turley – Winemaker and Vintner.
"Jennifer and I are pleased to induct this class of extraordinary Californians into the Hall of Fame," said Governor Gavin Newsom. "These inductees embody California's innovative spirit and they inspire us with all they've accomplished throughout their careers and lives."
"The Hall of Fame is a chance for us to make a statement about what this state stands for, and these phenomenal Californians truly represent the best of who we are and our California values," said First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom.
More on The Californer
- Americart 2019 Documentary Film about Art in America's Heartland now available on Amazon Prime Video
- Governor Newsom Issues Proclamation Declaring California for All Small Business Month
- Medicare Supplement Association Offers Local Reporters Pricing Assistance
- Proposed Settlements of Class Action Lawsuit: Thompson v. 1-800 Contacts, Inc., Vision Direct, Inc., Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., Walgreen Co., Arlington Contact Lens Service, Inc., National Vision, Inc., Luxottica of America, Inc. (f/k/a Luxottica Ret
- Global Film Studio Chooses Greece to Film a Feature Documentary About Unique Aspects of Some of Bruno Pischiutta's Movies
The California Hall of Fame was established in 2006 to honor legendary people who embody California's spirit and have made their mark on history through achievements across a variety of fields, including the arts, education, business and labor, science, sports, philanthropy and public service. California Hall of Fame inductees are selected yearly by the Governor and First Partner.
"As a native of this great state, being inducted into the California Hall of Fame is especially heartfelt because it comes from where my dreams were born, it comes from home," said RuPaul Charles.
"I am proud and humbled to be from, and molded by, California," said Brandi Chastain. "With its beautiful geography, talented people, ideal weather, love and passion for our state, I am grateful for all the gifts California has bestowed upon me. With these gifts, I have learned to stand tall, take risks, be strong, have a voice and change paradigms. Thank you, California, for all you have given me and others who live within your embrace."
"I am so honored to be inducted into the 13th class of the California Hall of Fame," said Tony Hawk. "California has always fostered innovation and creativity and I am thankful to be recognized as someone who has paved the way for future generations of skaters and groundbreakers."
"There is no other place in the world I'd rather be from than the great state of California," said George Lopez.
Inductees and family members of posthumous inductees will be presented with "Spirit of California" medals by the Governor and First Partner in an official ceremony held at the California Museum Tuesday, Dec. 10 at 7:00 p.m. In addition, the lives and legacies of the new inductees will be featured in an all-new artifact exhibit at the California Museum opening at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 11.
"We're thrilled to celebrate this new class with Governor Newsom and the First Partner," said California Museum Board of Trustees Chair Richard S. Costigan III. "We're also grateful to lead sponsor Visit California. With their generous support, the Museum's programming highlighting the state's diverse history, arts and culture will inspire more than 120,000 visitors to make their own mark on history in 2020."
More on The Californer
- Singer/Songwriter Abigail Ory Releases New Single "Waves"
- Seismic Shift from New York to the Palm Beaches Signals Permanent Residency, Not Seasonal Vacation Homes
- How to Find the Best Prices for All of Your Men's Jewelry Needs?
- Gumroad Announces Grants for Small Black-Owned Businesses
- Tiffany Maddox- Actress/Model/Producer Joins Forces with Rock Solid Talent Entertainment
"For centuries, people have looked west to California to make their dreams come true, striving to innovate and rise above the norm. This year's class of inductees continues that grand tradition, each in their own exceptional way," said Caroline Beteta, Visit California President and CEO. "Their great works build on California's storied history, paving the way for future generations to blaze their own trail, keeping the Golden State's pioneering spirit alive and thriving."
Members of the public are invited to watch red carpet arrivals for the 13th Annual California Hall of Fame Tuesday, Dec. 10, in a public viewing area on 10th Street between P and O Streets starting at 4:00 p.m. Following red carpet arrivals, the 13th Annual California Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be broadcast live at 7:00 p.m. at https://www.californiamuseum.org/webcasts.
To date, the 13th Annual California Hall of Fame's lead sponsor is Visit California. For details and a downloadable press kit, visit https://www.californiamuseum.org/press-kits/13-hof.
ABOUT CALIFORNIA MUSEUM
The California Museum educates visitors on California's diverse history, arts, culture and unique influence on the world. Through interactive exhibits and engaging programs, the Museum inspires visitors to make their mark on history. Learn more at https://www.californiamuseum.org.
Office of Governor Gavin Newsom
Brenna Hamilton, Communications & Marketing Director
Latest on The Californer
- San Francisco Announces Temporary Pause in Next Phase of Reopening Amid Rise in COVID-19 Activity
- Gig Workers Financial Concerns Surveyed By Association
- Flagship Cruises & Events COVID-19 Update
- PayCafe Announces New Partnership with JVZoo
- Brasa Capital Management Closes on Inaugural Credit Vehicle
- Long Beach: We Fought For And Got $53 Million In COVID Relief
- Consolidate All Inventory Data with the New Enterprise License
- Intermountain Healthcare Implements DeepThink Health's Precision Intelligence Solutions to Manage its Molecular Tumor Board
- Cure SMA Urges Remaining States to Expedite Adoption of Newborn Screening for Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- World's only B Corp™ certified PPE supplier gains fourth certification; Helps reduce Coronavirus waste
- Could this be the next Nike? Dionies Sportswear Looks to Crowdfunding for an Impressive Kickstart
- PowerOptions Expands Partnership with Solect Energy Through Large-Scale Solar and Storage Program
- Bay Area Health Provider Partners with Medicom Health to Lower Medication Cost for Patients
- Products On The Go is creating the most natural and nourishing products in the country
- Mahmood Khan and Willoughby Symphony crack the Billboard Charts
- G. Kofi Annan Named State Coordinator for Global Entrepreneurship Week California
- NACCE Announces Multi-Year Partnership with the Philip E. and Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation
- Pandemics and Forecasting: Seeing the Way Forward via the Taleb/Ioannidis Debate
- IPD announces special partnership with Maxiforce to expand product reach for its customers
- Y the Wait Is Assisting Restaurant Owners to Deal with the Pandemic