- Freedom Rally expects large crowd Saturday. Brentwood, California - 133
- 09:39 ET BDev Ventures General Partner hosts an integration dinner for breakthrough entrepreneurs and changemakers
- TVS Main Street Network.Com Adds Ozark Jubilee, Star Route, and Jubilee USA Classic Country TV Net
September 20, 2021
Rachel Davis, Office of Mayor Sam Liccardo, 408.712.9149, firstname.lastname@example.org
SAN JOSE, CA— Today, San José Mayor Sam Liccardo joined U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Marcia L. Fudge, who serves as chair of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH), at a virtual event to launch House America: An All-Hands-On-Deck Effort to Address the Nation's Homelessness Crisis.
House America is a national partnership in which HUD and USICH invite mayors, county leaders, Tribal nation leaders, and governors to use the historic investments provided through the American Rescue Plan to address the crisis of homelessness through a Housing First approach by immediately re-housing and building additional housing for people experiencing homelessness.
"San José is meeting the pressing urgency of the homelessness crisis by leveraging federal grants and local ballot measure funding into rapidly built, livable homes for the previously unhoused," said Mayor Sam Liccardo. "We must act swiftly and aggressively to create safe spaces for our most vulnerable residents. We're ahead of the curve in delivering more housing solutions in the coming year thanks to extraordinary coordination between local, state, and federal partners— but we have more to do. "
More on The Californer
- THINKWARE to Spotlight Dash Cam Product Lineup at SEMA 2021 in Las Vegas
- CarbonWorx & Biochar Now Redefine Natural Carbon Removal in The Wild Unleashing Carbon Futures At Scale
- San Jose: San José Joins Nationwide Coalition to Urge National Highway Transportation Safety Administration to Adopt Stronger Federal Fuel Economy Standards
- San Jose: FLASH REPORT #184 - COVID-19 Response and Recovery
- Blackground Records 2.0 Announces 2 Sisters as President and Head of Publicity
House America is the federal government's direct response to the crisis of homelessness, which was rising even before the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic. In March, HUD released its 2020 Annual Homeless Assessment Report Part 1 to Congress, which found that more than 580,000 people experienced homelessness in the United States on a single night in January 2020, before the pandemic. COVID-19 has created greater urgency to address homelessness, given the heightened risks faced by people experiencing homelessness. At the same time, COVID-19 has slowed re-housing activities due to capacity issues and impacts on rental market vacancies.
Through the American Rescue Plan, San José received 369 emergency housing vouchers and $3,221,675 in HOME Investment Partnerships grants to help more residents obtain the safety of a stable home. In 2020 alone, 4,886 individuals were moved into permanent supportive housing in Santa Clara County. With the distressing statistic that for every one person permanently housed in Santa Clara County, two more fall into homelessness or need housing assistance, the City of San José is leveraging federal, state, and local public funding and private dollars to rapidly develop emergency interim housing communities and permanent supportive housing. To that end, the City of San José will leverage federal emergency housing vouchers, HOME funding, and County Measure A funds to deliver 1,134 re-housing units, 683 bridge transitional units, and 861 newly-built permanent homes over the next year.
More on The Californer
- 17:21 ET Bagel Bites, GCN Launch "Unexpected Combinations" Relay Race with FaZe H1ghSky1, Ghost Blake, Lucky Chamu, TSM Co1azo
- City of Thousand Oaks Announces Emergency Grants for Local Arts Groups
- eNubia 2nd Annual Commercializing African Innovation Forum (CAIF) in partnership with African Union
- At Oakland Health Clinic, Governor Newsom Receives Moderna Booster, Encourages Eligible Californians to Get their COVID Booster to Keep Immunity Strong
- MedWand Solutions, Inc. Imagines a Better FUTURE with Smithsonian's First Large-Scale Exploration Exhibit
As a member of House America, Mayor Liccardo and San José will partner with HUD and USICH to use these American Rescue Plan resources to re-house households experiencing homelessness through a Housing First approach, and to add new units of affordable housing into the development pipeline by December 31, 2022.
To learn more about House America, visit www.hud.gov/house_america.
About the City of San José
With more than one million residents, San José comprises the 10th largest city in the United States, and one of its most diverse cities. San José's transformation into a global innovation center in the heart of Silicon Valley has resulted in the world's greatest concentration of technology talent and development.
Latest on The Californer
- Best Places to Work in Dallas, TX
- 08:44 ET Nammex Achieves a Breakthrough in Mushroom Cultivation
- How to use the Google chat messaging application
- Local Career and Resume Expert Says Job Market Improving for New Graduates
- 05:12 ET Medicare Open Enrollment Choices Like the Silver&Fit® Program Offer Affordable Gym Memberships through Medicare Advantage
- Imagine the Possibilities; 60% of California progressive parents support Education Choice
- 1,256 Colored Shape NFTs Just Sold Out In One Hour
- Freedom Rally expects large crowd Saturday. Brentwood, California
- How do I avail to fix Facebook feeds not updating issues?
- ProjectLibre 5,500,000 Download Milestone on all 7 continents
- California: Governor Newsom Announces Appointments 10.26.21
- Mainly Mozart Youth Orchestra Hosts Solo Competition
- Meditation Hacks If You Can't Sit Still
- ALWAYS PATSY CLINE at North Coast Repertory Theatre
- 18:05 ET The Kendrick Brothers' SHOW ME THE FATHER Releases On Digital And DVD December 7
- San Jose: Media Advisory: November Park Volunteer Events
- Project & Cost Management Consulting Inc Chooses ARES PRISM Software for Project Controls & Reporting
- San Jose: : City of San José Department of Transportation Awarded Grant From the Office of Traffic Safety for Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Program
- Bob Holz to release new album featuring John Mclaughlin, Jean Luc Ponty, Darryl Jones and Randy Brecker
- Cabrillo Economic Development Corporation's 40th Anniversary