The text of the proclamation is below:
As we celebrate and declare June as Pride Month in California, we are reminded of what makes California great – our remarkable capacity to advance together across every conceivable difference, no matter the physical distance between us. From our separate homes, we stand together with the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) community of California as they declare their pride in who they are and whom they love.
The LGBTQ community has worked tirelessly for respect, equality and their very right to exist. Their battles have been fought in the courts, from marriage equality to demanding equal protection under the law.
While there has been remarkable progress towards acceptance and equality in recent years, members of the LGBTQ community in the United States and around the world still face an unacceptable level of discrimination and violence. This includes LGBTQ people who aren't safe at home and those who do not have a home in which to stay.
More on The Californer
- The Fertile Void Podcast returns for Season Two, The Coveted Silk
- R&B/Pop Recording Artist Tanya Nolan Set to Release EDM Remix of 'No Pressure'
- City of San Miguel de Allende, State of Guanajuato Obtain Coveted WTTC 'Safe Travels' Stamp
- NINICO Communications™ named top public relations agency by Los Angeles Business Journal
- Black Cultural Events Celebrates 200th Weekly Newsletter Issue
We must push back against those who threaten the safety of LGBTQ Californians and challenge our progress. And we must continue to make the case that all human beings share something fundamental in common – all of us want to be loved, and all of us want to love. We cannot march in a parade this June, but we can and will stand with our LGBTQ family, friends and neighbors.
Pride celebrations may look different this year, but in California, no matter the circumstances, we are proud to support our LGBTQ community's right to live their lives out loud. As we celebrate Pride across the state, we must continue to demand equal rights for all to create a California for all.
NOW THEREFORE I, GAVIN NEWSOM, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim June 2020 as "LGBTQ Pride Month."
IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 1st day of June 2020.
Governor of California
Secretary of State
Latest on The Californer
- Law Offices of Charles G. Eichinger & Associates, P.C. Open and Ready to Help
- American Association for Critical Illness Insurance Announces New Initiative
- Kylie Eaton's Kinetic Film Selected for Indy Short's Indiana Spotlight Program
- New San Diego Office to Launch Snell & Wilmer's First Podcast, CalCurrent
- Torres Law Joins Alliott Group, The World's Sixth-Largest Multidisciplinary Alliance Of Professional Services Firms
- Sequel in Historical Fiction Series Follows Secrets, Murder and Treason During American Civil War
- "Three Best Rated" Names Palmer a Top 3 Advertising Agency in San Francisco
- Citadel Roofing & Solar Introduces Home Generator Products
- Senseeker Establishes In-House Wafer Testing Capability
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Its Client Jamie Donnelly on CFO of the Year Award
- Heap Names Lynn Girotto As Chief Marketing Officer
- California League of Schools Names Cathy Perry as Executive Director
- Summit Funding, Inc. Opens New Branch in Red Bluff, California
- The Playdate Dilemma Many Face
- James J. Hoover named to Advisory Board of WomenSV, a nonprofit serving survivors of domestic abuse
- Improving Parenting Skills Today
- Bilingual Montessori Preschool Is Open Using Social Distance Learning
- AUA College of Medicine Launches International Track for UK Medical Students
- Personal Hygiene Tips for Kids
- CMC Group Inc. Announces Senior Leadership Transition